A fun quiz for Thursday

Took it, 8/12.

Questions I got wrong:

Q5, The first popular browser (embarrassing because I did an assignment on the history of the Internet in uni)
Q7, Sheryl Sandberg
Q8, When the iphone was released (I chose 2009)
Q11, what university was first on Facebook. I chose MIT. Never saw the film.

Still 81.8% better than most. :smile: And that twitter one was a guess, I rarely use it, but knew there was a character limit.

Thanks for explaining. doesnā€™t sound much like a law to me, but meh ā€¦

Gah! At leaste I was right about itā€¦sorta.

IMHO itā€™s a ā€œHypothesisā€. But saying that it is a Law much easier to understand for joe bloggs :wink:

Yes, but it seems to conflict with another ā€œlawā€ā€”that Less is Moore.

3 Likes

I aced it. :sunglasses:

Less space with Moore transistors :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Second question:
Twitter limits the number of characters per tweet to 140

uhhh, who cares?

This tests your internet knowledge (and your IQ?)
America, we truly are doomed.

Meā€¦ itā€™s my job.
I guess thatā€™s the point. There are aspects of it that are important to everybody.

1 Like

I donā€™t twitter, chirp, or tweet. I donā€™t do Facebook and never did Myspace. Iā€™m missing out on Instagram and probably a whole bunch more some-such.

No offense intended to your job; I have no followers breathlessly awaiting my latest 140 characters, thus my disparaging remark. Sorry.

1 Like

That explains why you got one of the questions about the internet wrong then :slight_smile:

I didnā€™t actually take the quiz; I became disillusioned at #2, and started flapping my lips. So just now, I went back and took the quiz. I have to remove the twitter character length question and also the iphone question (I read the answer here) so of the remaining 10 questions, I missed oneā€“I did not recognize the womanā€™s picture.

Iā€™m an old fogey whoā€™s trying to keep herself somewhat current. For example, my first work computer had 80 column green text on black background with a 300 baud modem, and my first internet account was a UNIX shell account. Regardless, this just wasnā€™t much of a quiz. Most of the questions were non-technical to the point of being silly. Butā€“go figureā€“this was Pew Research, who now have written up an equally silly article with their profound results.

1 Like

Awesome, I love it when older people break the stereotype! :thumbsup:

Well the internet is so broad now. I donā€™t know, but I am guessing the creators of the quiz wanted to get an idea how many people follow the social and commerial side of the internet too, like how many people know who a certain high profile female internet boss is.

I will take a look at that now :slight_smile:

Yeah, not particularly accurate, for example:

just 23% are aware that ā€œthe Internetā€ and ā€œthe World Wide Webā€ do not, in fact, refer to the same thing.

Suggests that they think the results show that 23% of people know the difference, completely forgetting that this is a multiple choice questionaire with 4 possible answers. So if it was given to brain damaged monkeys, using the same logic, ~25% of the brain damaged monkeys would know the difference tooā€¦

The quiz was still good fun though :smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.