Additional domains for SEO?

Could I just add a scenario where an extra domain could be a saving grace for a business please?

No answer (og I’m still typing Doh)

OK I will write it anyway (Hey I am only trying to add some humour here! :)).

Ok

You (Everyone reading)

You own

Worlds-Best-Widget.com

It makes thousands every week. People love your Widget it is the best selling commercial widget for WordPress. Almost every time a little thing pops up in the corner of your screen it is yet another sale.

You sit on beach with your Laptop supping your Sangria and marvel at your good luck.

One Monday morning you head down to the beach with your trusty Laptop. And about 11am you realise there are no little notififications coming through.

Sales have stopped.

You investigate and Shock Horror your site has been hacked. Stolen, your are completely locked out.

You start to try and fix things.

Next day you find you are no linger listed on Google and it looks like your little bubble has burst and it is back to the grindstone for you.

But wait you have a back up plan

Luckily you had the forethought after noticing some directory listing messing up your own SERPS that you would use a different domain and so all your directory listings (where circa 20 to 25% of your sales come from) are on a redirect domain and it is called

Worlds-Best-WP-Widget.com

So you remove the redirect and load your old site up (you have a clean unhacked version on your hard drive (phew) and Bobs your uncle a slower tickle of sales notifications begin.

OK you are only making 25% (Circa) of what you we’re making but you are back online and low and behold about 4 or 5 perhaps six days later your newly loaed domain has somehow now got your SERPS back.

Your old domain has vanished but somehow Google have replaced the links you had on page 1 making some 60% of your other sales are now all nice and fresh again and new and your notifications are near back to normal and sales are back to ABOUT 80% OF WHAT THEY AVERAGED B4. = BIZ SAVED!!!

Where please tell me where is the detrimental effect to the search engines results?

Where is there no benefit for SEO (both b4 and after redirect got changed)? (Don’t forget you use this so directories don’t compete with your own SERPS by using your keywords in the listings)

And how can doing this and buying other domains as a back up plan (just one of many possibilities if you open up your mind) outlined above be of no use, a waste of money or not a well thought out, out of the bx (thinking wise) back up plan to ensure your presence should things go wrong?

I do not see how a person can say “There is no SEO benefit”

SEO is in essence helping the SE’s to improve the search results for everyone.

If this includes using a redirected domain as a back up plan I would venture Google would be far more likely to reward you for making sure peole still find what they are looking for than they would to penalise you if you did this as a back up plan as I outlined above

I would go so far as to say it is IMHO (I have not tried this I am just going by a gut feeling) if your first site got hacked and you could not fix it the chances are Google would indeed recognise your new site as the solution

It takes a couple of mins to pop over to G Webmaster tools and add a site map and confirm your site and write on the site about the problem.

I would not wish this on anyone (the hacking part) but I bet this would work.

Now I have stated clearly I do not know for sure your SERPS would get restored with the new domain but form what I know I would say there is a very good chance this would be what would happen.

More especially perhaps if you had to contact Google RE the hacking on original site.

I am not saying this will happen (The SERPS replaced I mean)

But it could

Without the other domain name of course you will never know

You got hacked , you had no back up plan. Your biz died. The Job Centre is that way >

To make matters worse

You purchased a Tesla Roadstar for cash the day b4 you got hacked and you only had $200 left in your account. Trouble with that is though your totally successful WP widget site needed a dedicated server and that cost $500 a month (hey it’s worth it you make 50 times that) and the account needs paying tomorrow!

Ut oh (All ridiculous I know but food for thought).

Any Company with more than one word in their domain could use the hyphented version of their domain as a redirect without directory listings to achieve the same back up scenario to!

PS

RE exact match

Google cannot solve the problem of exact match. As far as I can ascertain it needs to be done on a site by site basis.

One thing I am pretty sure of though.

If CompareTheMarket.com got hacked and by some bizarre thing that could likely never happen they really could not solve the problem the answer lays in Compare-The-Market.com
sorry for extra post I ran out of edit time :slight_smile:

Exact Match works for both presently (to some extent with a slight sway towards the unhyphenated - which may not be real but forced into belief by being used more)

both being with and without hyphens

I know why business person prefer to business related domain name because you are purchase business related domain name. Seo point of view good effect of site.

Can you do some English Language copywriting for me please outsource?

Or really “Say What?”

Your answer is above, not only does having multiple domain based on keywords helps but the fact that the extra domain passes authority (which will increase serp) but if the serp ever goes stale you can sell the domain and no the whole site. I think thats handy.