All You Need For Accessibility - Tutorials, Tools, Books, Validators, etc

Nope, its HTML. It was the book i used to start off, and i think its pretty good. It only covers the complete basics of building a HTML website with CSS. It briefly talks about dynamic features and where to find out more about them, but its out of the scope for the book really. I followed that book up with HTML Utopia: Desiging Without Tables using CSS, by Rachel Andrew & Dan Shafer which goes into a lot more detail about CSS, and has some good information on compatibility of CSS features.

They seemed like very good books to me, but maybe ive been led astray? has anyone else read them?

I am sure many Web Authors (especially those committed to Web Accessibility) are familiar with, even presently using, Fire Vox – A Screen Reading Extension for Firefox. This is a full featured audio Screen Reader that functions as a Firefox Browser extension. It is accompanied by an excellent online manual and tutorials. Some of the designated function keys may have to be reassigned (very easy to do via the tool bar) for compatability with existing key board functions. The Fire Vox package (including download, installation and online manual) is available at The Fire Vox Information page.

The speaking style and pronunciation of the reader may take a little getting used too at first, but the text is readily understood with a little familiarity. Added: Screen readers can be invaluable tools to Web authors for quick and easy proof reading of web page content.

James

Just got an email about this - seems like a good tool:

The Stanford Online Accessibility Program’s (SOAP) Web Accessibility Checker is a programmatic tool that can analyze individual web pages and test for various access barriers that may be present. It can check live code via URL, or you my supply a working file for evaluation. The Checker produces a report of all accessibility problems for your selected guidelines.

http://soap.stanford.edu/accessibilitychecker

Star3night, that is a great tool! But it has moved to a site of its own. I’m too new to enter the url, so I’ll write it out: colorschemedesigner dot com.

Another fantastic color tool is Contrast-A, which I’ve used to develop palettes and which gives you immediate feedback on whether each color pair has sufficient contrast. You can also use the visualize thresholds feature to adjust one color to find an accessible pair (if there is one) when the color pair you started with turns out not to be accessible.

You can find Contrast-A at contrast-a dot dasplankton dot com

Oh, and broken link alert: Bobby (the evaluation tool) has been history for quite a while.