An Introduction to Mobile-First Media Queries

What? There are “legacy” phones that don’t support media queries. Just like there are “legacy” browsers that don’t support it. Those legacy browsers are under 1% (closer to 0) (IE8 and down) so this argument in itself is…strange. Could you please elaborate? I’m not sure what makes this a point of consideration.

Phones that do not support Media queries include : Old Blackberry phones, Some Windows Mobile and thats about it. We are talking 0.0something% The rest do, and have an eco system where updating the browser is easy.

Desktops and it gets a little harder. IE8 for example (5% http://caniuse.com/#feat=css-mediaqueries, up to 15% on alot of our sites) needs a polyfill so with js disabled it will not work. Not to mention polyfills slow the site down.

My parents have those phones. I know others do too.

Ultimately we are talking 1-2% difference.

IE6/7/8 COMBINED overall is placing around 3.4%. Considering how hard it is to upgrade phones due to a multitude of reasons, I’d imagine old phones are within 1-2% of that figure.

So maybe it’s just me, but that’s not even a talking point.

Just an update. Our government website that I work on (hundreds of thousands of hits) is reporting 1.5% usage in IE8.

I’d say that’s right equal with legacy mobiles.

As many as that? I have (on a much less popular site) 0.85% over the last month. Compared to 4.77% for the same period a year ago.
Old browsers are dying out. Won’t be long before we can bin the polyfill.

Are you government though? I’m assuming my market is much different than yours. Also is your website getting a few million hits a month?

I actually figured it’d be closer to 1% but I’m not complaining.

No, they are not a like for like comparison at all. It would be a minority, niche interest site with nowhere near so many hits. It has mainly local appeal, though we do get some world-wide visitors too.

Just for fun yesterday, I thought I would try this out. I dug out of a drawer my old Windows Mobile (v2003) Pocket PC Phone, charged it up to see how it handled my desktop first responsive design. Needless to say it looked a mess, but I did not expect anything else, just curious.
But I honestly don’t believe that people using phones to browse the web today are using those phones. I know it works OK on Windows Phone 7 which hasn’t the best css3 support, so I’m happy enough with that.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.