And the 2009 Community Award Winners are

Thanks for people who put vote and congrats for all winners. You have done one of the great remarkable offering work in internet. This is really happiest moment in our life. Thank you for sharing this useful information with us. Keep it up and continue this work.

Congratulations to all the winners on the list

congratz for the winners :slight_smile:

A bit late (been sick), but still:

Congratulations to all winners! :slight_smile:

Start preparing for the new year and throughout.

Congratulation to the winners…

It’s actually just a popularity contest. As soon as you understand that, you’ll be able to relax and let things fall where they do. When I voted, I saw a lot of nice people listed who could have gotten a tag/badge that labeled them as a “guru” in something… when I first came to SitePoint I thought those with “guru” badges were like the most knowledgeable of the forum but later I found how they got them. Sometimes it’s true (David Lynn really IS an Apache guru : ) and sometimes it’s just someone who’s very nice or friendly on the forums, nothing more.

Kinda like presidential elections. People vote for who they feel they can drink a beer with, not who’s best suited to the job (depending on the circumstances at the time of voting anyway). And this is okay so long as everyone realises that that’s how it works.

I might have missed it, but was there a Most Helpful Member category this year? I forget what RyanReese was nominated for but that’s the category I would have expected him to win.
Whatever it was, I voted for you Ryan : )

1 Like

I got you. Good points.:slight_smile:

Some members get their wards in the manner you described above. While many expert gurus get awarded for their contributions, others who also truly deserve miss out. So when they say it is just recognition, are we recognising how nice or friendly they were in the course of their contributions? I still salute Sitepoint for having these contests every year. I just wish the nominating process was reformed somewhat.

Of course. How do you think I won??? :). Just kidding lol

I might have missed it, but was there a Most Helpful Member category this year? I forget what RyanReese was nominated for but that’s the category I would have expected him to win.
Whatever it was, I voted for you Ryan : )

Nah there wasn’t, I was nomintated for the Dan Schulz Web Design Guru of hte Year, and CSS guru of the year (which I won). I put so many hours into sitepoint this last year it’s quite ridiculous :lol:

Lawlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! : )

rageh, dare we ask whom you voted for (or felt were most deserving) as you seem pretty vocal on the subject? :slight_smile:

He who pursues fame at the risk of losing his self is not a scholar as they say. What is the chance of either; the ‘placing order’ being published in public (for those that decided to run)? I don’t think it is necessary to give vote numbers out but I think it would show more “transparency”. Or, alternatively; just vote number for the people who “won” (and not show the ‘placing order’) if that is less objectionable?

I’d like to see the bigger picture if that isn’t too greedy of me. :slight_smile:

So when they say it is just recognition, are we recognising how nice or friendly they were in the course of their contributions?

That has to be part of it. I’m not sure people would vote as much for someone obviously knowledgeable but also a pig who treats n00bz like garbage. Even if the answer isn’t totally correct or the suggested fix doesn’t work, people do like that someone reacted to their problem and tried to help them with it, and yeah, that’s part of what’s attractive of SitePoint.

Now, I can think of some other forums where there are usually a lot of people willing to help and give answers, but the answers are often bunk and, sometimes, illegal : ) As a Perl programmer stated in a talk I went to, sometimes the newbs helping the newbs gets everyone in a mess. Which is why there needs to be at least a few gurus. Still, it’s nice to have active, participating people whatever their skill level.

Congratulations all… and thanks for all the advice and support of the last year, most appreciated, WELL DONE! :slight_smile:

any update on this?

Yep, The finishing touches are just being made on them (being scaled down and cropped to perfection) and then they’ll be going live.

Hopefully we’ll see them in the next few days, I’ve seen them and they look really pretty. :slight_smile:

Congratulation

The badges are very sexy indeed? :slight_smile:

They’re still on the way. Hold tight winners!

How about a ‘not nominated’ badge? I also want a sexy badge :smiley: :lol:

congrats for the winners!