Any online guides on improving your Grammar?

participate more at sitepoint forums, your grammer will improve.

salahsoft, please see post #59

you are right, however he can learn from native English speakers.

You can’t always tell who is a native English speaker. And even “natives” use stupid txt spk so don’t do it plz.

Forums are not good places to learn English (in general). Unless it’s a forum geared towards helping you learn English.

While it is used more for traditional writing, the MLA style guide is a good point of reference. Link below:

http://www.mla.org/

I’m not an expert when it comes to grammar thing and other stuff but here are my suggestions on how you can improve your grammar and other English-related skills:

• Communicate with others using English language as your medium.
  • Read English articles, news, magazine and other related stuff.
  • Watch English programs.
  • Always consult Mr. Webster everytime you encountered unfamiliar words.

I just took the time to follow these links. Kudos to you for finding such a wonderful site to add to our list. Even an old bird like me learned a new word “Eggcorns” (commonly misquoted phrases)! This site is also rich with links to still more online writing and editing resources. Well worth the time spent!

Native english speakers are not that good too. Simply imagine American students who flank from their english subject??? Hows that for a tutor?:rolleyes: Anyway, just keep on practicing your craft and you will surely “win” soon.

i believe it is not only your grammar that strunk & white can improve, but your writing style as well. also, there is also hemingway. his emphasis on brevity and simplicity in his writing style is something that can be of some use to online writers.

I like what I am reading!
I am just starting my blogging career and grammar is really a problem for me.

Thanks for all the thoughts here. I’ll try to apply it.

As what i’ve experienced, reading a lot could help improve your grammar and would gain additional knowledge and ideas as well. :slight_smile:

I have installed a firefox plugin for checking my grammar and I found it really useful, also now :smiley:

Always keep the sentences short and keep it simple. This will ensure you will make less mistakes and readers too would enjoy what you u r trying to say. As far as possible, avoid using big words or complicated words. Keep them simple so that everybody can understand them. You main objective has to be putting your point forward rather than proving to others how good u r in English Vocabulary and so on.

Once you realize this, writing shouldn’t be a botheration to you.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

and strive for perfection – never write “u r” when you mean “you are”

:cool:

Hello Dear,

I was just making my point. It is understood that “u r” means “you are”.

I was running out of time while i was posting that reply.

Is that OK?

Although Rudy’s reply may have seemed terse to you, please understand that the main focus of SitePoint Forums is to help working professionals. Although abbreviations like “u r” are acceptable in text messaging and e-mailing your friends, in the business world they really have no place.

Also consider that those who don’t understand English as well as you do may have a difficult time figuring out your abbreviations. This is especially true in this forum about Content and this thread about proper grammar.

Reading good English and trying to write from imagination are the possible ways after you take the coaching of grammar of course.

Always learn ho to deal on verb agreement. And Practice yourself using the 8 parts of speech in order to create quality writing content. :slight_smile:

An old tip that I learned which still works is to keep the sentences “KISS”. Keep It Short & Simple.

Short sentences are easy to judge for grammar correctness. Long sentences tend to result in more grammatical blunders. I am still learning myself. The more I write, the more I see myself improving.

Try http://www.grammarbook.com/

It has English usage rules and free quizzes with immediate scoring and explanation.

I signed up for the weekly newsletter which gives you some grammar or punctuation rules in a “Tip of the Week” along with a pop quiz to see if you understood it.