Any recommendations for Social Networking Scripts (a la MySpace)?

I looked at this, but didn’t care for it. I’d wait to see it in a working environment.

Have you looked at phpIzabi? It’s opensource, and they are about to release “Alicia” soon, which is a new version of Izabi…

I saw this post yesterday afternoon, researched phpFox yesterday evening, purchased it last night and got it up and running this morning. :slight_smile: Great script!

(note: the site that uses it is in my sig - People Fisher)

That phpfox looks very promising I might have to get that.

Very nice!!

I’m researching these scripts for a Christian site, too!

Forget about phpizabi. I’ve tried installing their demo. It’s broken link here and there and I can’t even troubleshoot it coz it’s encoded!

Should people forget about it because you couldn’t install it, or because there’s actually something wrong with the script?

Doesn’t matter anyway…most people (following zabi) are waiting for Alicia

Phpizabi is one cool piece of software, my only complaint is the ioncube decoded index… ahh and I will like to permit article publish to the members.

anyway… I would like to integrate phpizabi with a blog cms like wordpress so i will have the functionality of publishing articles…

any advice will be appreciate.
:slight_smile:

My advice is wait for izabi to release Alicia. It’s supposed to be coming any day…and so we wait. :slight_smile:

Where I can read the alicia features and specs ?

Regards

Rumor has it, within a week or, two.

I don’t know more than that. You might want to check out their site. I’ve just been ‘encouraged’ to wait for Alicia before making any platform decisions.

My ‘back up’ plans (from cheapest to most expensive) are:

Totally ‘modded’ vBulletin portal to work like MySpace (but better)
Combo package of Dating Box integrated with vBulletin
A custom application made by the folks who did Naseeb.com (this has a LOT of features.)(Christianster is also well done - in terms of features.)

so anyone using buddy zone?

It seems that it’s not very well known but there is an opensource social networking application built by barnraiser and which is called AroundMe.

I quote “AROUNDMe is the perfect solution for community builders wishing to bring together multiple mutual interest groups within a shared knowledge network.”

Barnraiser also has a lighter version called Igloo, and a few other things like a lightweight wiki and a directory app call Find Me. It all on the Software]([url=http://barnraiser.org/index.php?page=SoftWare) page.

I have kept an eye on it for more than one year and it’s getting better… still a beta, but also one of the few (in fact I only know of 2) opensource solutions in this area (you can also check OpenDotNode).

I took a look at Around me. For my purposes, it isn’t even in the running.

Not developed enough, and no good demos.

I’ll pass.

anyone know of a solution that will work on WINDOWS? Seems PHPfox is the best out right now. Mine also will be for a Christian Youth Ministry – (i have domain www.GlorySpace.com)

PHP fox wont run on my machine I dont believe. And Windows doesnt use cron or .htaccess - any thoughts?

PS bros & sis we need to get together and pool resources for this type ministry stuff.

I had a windows server for awhile, but had so many problems, I switched back. My site users are MUCH happier.

Let’s stay in touch re: pooling resources. I still haven’t found which platform I want to use…right now, I’m SERIOUSLY leaning towards a hacked out version of vBulletin.

Most of these SNS’s seem a bit too disjointed to me.

no if you have to pay its not FREE

it you can view and edit the source code of the application THEN
it is open source

script kiddies and cheap asses just expect everything to be free.
open source projects are welcome to charge if they wish. it doesnt have to be free to be open source

just think of the definition of the word

OPEN SOURCE

OPEN - free to view
SOURCE - sourcecode

most open source projects dont charge. but look for donations.

mmm let me see…, With Open source you don’t sell the code because you don’t own the code, the code is knowledge and knowledge is legacy for the human kind (E.G. if I own an algorithm and then if you use it in any of yours programs then you have to pay to me for using it, this is happening with patents in some parts of the world right now and is a pain in the ***) in Open Source you sell your professional services or support you don’t sell any program or code…

that's my opinion but here what the OSI says:

[b]From [opensource.org](http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php):
[/b]
[i]"Open source [b]doesn't just mean access to the source code[/b]. The distribution terms of open-source software must comply with the following criteria:

[b]1. Free Redistribution[/b]
2. Source Code
3. Derived Works
4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code
5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
7. Distribution of License
8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product
9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software
10. License Must Be Technology-Neutral
"
[/i]

I have been looking at this area a fair bit over the past year, read many threads and personal opinions, and tried many scripts.

My two favorites are: datemill.com (used to be known as etown21) and phpizabi’s dating script. I have been waiting for a month or two now for their new version of the script to be released - known as ‘Alicia’

Both scripts are 100 percent unencryped (which is essential).

I’ve heard some good things about DateMill. Maybe I’ll take a second look.

Kat, my one problem with datemill is the look of the default template. If i finally go with it (i did buy the script at the end of last year), then I will have to do a bit of work in getting it to look as I want it to. Dan, who runs datemill, is a great guy and very helpful.

At this moment in time, i am leaning towards Alicia. I just love the look and feel of that script.

Note - both scripts are presently being updated to new versions. Datemill will probably be out by July or so…Alicia, i am guessing, will be out in the next month or so.