Backup/storage hardware

Hi John,

Welcome to SitePoint.

Please take time to read the thread and especially Post #4 which states that about 800 Gig of storage is required.

Are you aware of any Cloud systems that offer this amount of free storage?

Just thought I would let you know what I ended up with and that was a Icy box IB-328U3SEb and 2TB WD green; total price around £120.

The unit has USB 3, ESATA and Firewire and I thought this would be good as it should be future proof! There is one small problem and that is my computer is so old it only has USB2 and one spair PCI slot. So I could not see the point of buying a USB3 or ESATA card.

First backup took 9hr for 671GB over the USB 2 :rolleyes: I tried a smaller backup with USB 2 and ESATA plugged into a SATA on the mother board:

Backup USB - 1.37GB - USB connection - Hot swapable - High priority - Total backup time: 0 hours, 16 minutes, 50 seconds - 12.5min/GB
Backup ESATA - 1.37GB - SATA/ESATA connection - Not hot swapable - High priority - Total backup time: 0 hours, 14 minutes, 58 seconds - 11min/GB

One good thing with the software I am using ( Cobian ) is I can backup from FTP.

Interestingly if I turn off the drive and turn it on again and it will not show up. But if I go into computer management > more actions > rescan discs it will show up under Computer. I just a way to automate this process now.

If you are turning them off, then quickly back on again in a matter of seconds, then yes, you may run into problems.

If you are turning them off for the night and back on the next day and you’re not seeing them, then there is something wrong. Is the database loose?

I think the problem is that my ESATA connection is to a SATA connection on the motherboard; the USB method works OK.

I have also read that it can depend on the chipset and/or driver but I am not sure how to check the chipset.

If you are looking for a very cheap NAS system then for your backups then why not use a Raspberry PI. I do, it’s on all the time with a 250GB USB drive attached. I mainly use it for backing up my work, I use a free program called BitTorrentSync. Very easy to use can be installed on just about anything and is fairly fast.

The first time you backup a folder it may take some time due to the size of it’s contents but any file updates after no problems at all. The great thing is, when I use my Laptop my files are automatically transferred over. Even works on mobile phones, handy for photo’s.