Best PHP classifieds software?

Might be worth a look.

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,listcats/cat_id,1763/Itemid,35/

I’m re-visiting the idea of opening a classified area on some of my sites. I’ve done it as part of a forum with VBulletin, but the ads are there forever, and it is not like a real classified.

Any tips from others who have tried to run successful classified advertising sites? Any software suggestions? I’m reviewing the suggestions from earlier in this thread, and have googled for more, but nothing stands out at this point.
A little help please. :smiley:

The search for a good general php classified script is killing me. I’ve put a fair amount of time into it, off and on over the last year. I have yet to find something that fits some basic needs.

The most important factors for me:

1. Complete source code
  2. Secure! With quick response to any problems that may arise
  3. Solid SEF/SEO abilities
  4. Under $200, with no support fees or update fees or extra fees

Additionally I’d like:

1. At least a basic template system
  2. Some kind of payment integration
  3. Just the basics, image upload, multi level categories, search functions

I didn’t think it was too much to ask for but it seems I was wrong.

I thought I had settled on PHP Classifieds by DeltaScripts today but now I’m not so sure. There seems to be some serious security issues, there are some major complaints in the message boards about inability to fix long term problems, they have SEF URL’s but i’d like them to be a bit more descriptive. I’d also say, for what it is providing the price is excessive.

There’s no way I’ll pay above $200 for one of these scripts. For one they aren’t that complicated and I can even get a Microsoft operating system for less! Also, I’m not at all interested in the ones that price it cheap and then every basic addon is another $50. Further, being forced to pay for support or subscription for updates is beyond my comprehension. Especially when they’re just fixing their own bad code!

So that’s where I stand. If anyone knows of a nice simple script that has a solid foundation and is free or priced accordingly I’d love to hear about it. I have a sad feeling I’ll be stuck programming my own over the next 5 years.

I honestly think I’ve looked at almost all of them so I’m not sure if there’s any hope. I’m now considering Perl scripts. Are there any good classifieds in a CMS pacakge?

The world will never know…

Envmar,

Any luck with your search? I am also looking for a script that is good enough to launch a paid classifieds site.

I’m comparing GeoClassifieds vs Evson now.

Any experience with them?

Look at www.68classifieds.com - go for the developer versionas you get full source code. It runs on Smarty templates which makes customisation a doddle, and although the default templates are table based they are easily converted to CSS.

Is it too much to ask for these classifieds developers to clean up their code before release???

I just purchased and installed Photopost Classifieds. Ran it through the W3C validator and the index page has 93 errors! Ran every page and they all have errors. And I’m talking about really stupid html errors, like duplicate </a></a> end tags, missing end tags for tables, rows and cells, and </form> end tags when there’s no form there.

I viewed live sites for the other php classifieds apps mentioned in this thread and they’re all full of these types of errors. Come on guys, this is basic web development 101 stuff. How about validating your code??? Too many developers thinking that if the browser displays the app okay, then no need to correct errors. Have a little pride in your work!

I DO NOT recommend buying the Photopost Classifieds app! They use XHTML doctype, then don’t bother to comply. Duplicate end tags, end tags missing for tables, rows and cells, incorrect input and image tags, span tags in the wrong place, etc. As I said in the last post, 93 errors on the index page, alone, and 30-60 errors on all the other pages (none validated). I spent 10 hours fixing 23 pages to make the pages validate in w3c. I can’t believe it even displayed in a browser before all the errors were fixed. What a mess.

Now that the errors are fixed, everything tested successfully, but I’m going to watch it closely. If they’re so willing to overlook simple html errors, what else have they missed?

Their support is a joke. I don’t know if “extremefitness” in this thread from his 2005 post is “Chuck”, their current support guy, but Chuck is rude and indifferent. Very poor customer service - he seems to take problems personally, more like the support staff for free apps, like Wordpress. Check their forum and you’ll see what I mean. Even the “reviews” on their site talk about their poor support. If you pay $99 for an app, you should expect better support. I asked Chuck if he would be interested in my list of fixes to apply to their next release - thought I could at least share it with them so new users could benefit. He had the nerve to say the code was “100 percent compliant, but things do change”. I won’t be sharing my list of fixes with that jerk.

If you want to use any free open source script, i have few names like Xdirectory which i have used for many clients with Plone CMS…

I have also other list of some Free Open Source Scripts which are free and can be used as standalone and having great features!

I am interested in your craiglist clone. How much is it and do I get the source code?

well after reviewing all your post and posts on many forums i have chosen www.craigslistclones.com

here are my reasons why

1. they emailed me back very quickly and responded to all my questions also they were very nice in there emails which actually goes a long way

2 the price was reasonable for what you get and you have options to remove there links and other options to buy

1. the website explained well and had no broken links or other things that i take as warnings not to buy

ok so after my purchase i got my script within hours i had many questions regarding installation and other things that came up they responded quickly and answered every question fully wow support is awesome worth every penny you can see the demo here

http://www.craigslistclones.com/Demo.html

Sounds a bit like an advertisement jungbaz. Specially with one post, Jan 2008 registration and the same sentence structure as found on the site.

Red flags for me are:

• The quality (or lack of) on the site design and on the marketing copy.
  • No information about who is selling the product.
  • No area for members and thus no shared support, addons, bug discussions, etc.
  • Support from the seller is additional ($10 a month or $80 a year.)
  • No reference to existing customers.
  • Domain was registered late 2007 by Mr. S for 1 year only.
  • No guarantees, no trials, no refunds.

It seems like a reseller of an existing script and doesn’t project a permanent feel.

i think you should do more research…

Red flags for me are:

• The quality (or lack of) on the site design and on the marketing copy.
  1. first i dont know there quality is great but was very straight forward
  • No information about who is selling the product.
  1. who do you want to be selling the product it is craigslistclones selling it dont understand
  • No area for members and thus no shared support, addons, bug discussions, etc.
  1. actually they email me back with support i have sent way to many emails but they always respond and i never paid extra also they just sent me a major update
  • Support from the seller is additional ($10 a month or $80 a year.)
  1. never paid for support and when asked they said that is only done in occasions it takes to much time or need to work on the site themself which is also the cost of install that they do not charge you so hmm
  • No reference to existing customers.
  1. well i will mention that i would gladly mention them as i did here
  • Domain was registered late 2007 by Mr. S for 1 year only.
  1. hmm well maybe he doesnt want ppl calling him like they did me when i first signed up my domain also that does not mean he did not own it prior or another site
  • No guarantees, no trials, no refunds.

:lol: 7. well there is a full demo why should they guarantee or offer a trial to something you can then steal and use have you ever baught a script??

anyway there great so far and i have no worrys

also btw he just sent me a major fix that all the people using the script need so i suggest if you own a copy contact him

Hey Jungbaz, could you post the URL of your site so we can check out the script in a real world environment?

If you want something ready to use, I can suggest PHP Classifieds:

Demo:
http://demo.deltascripts.com/classifieds

Site:
http://deltascripts.com/phpclassifieds

Someone said it was free in this thread, and that is correct as long as you keep link back to DeltaScripts in the footer and not need the payment features of the script. For the rest, it is $279.

It’s been 4 days- no contact from the site. no returned emails. No contact whatsoever. I’m a couple of days from having paypal reverse the charges (I’m trying to use the whois contact info but a bunch of it is bogus). The real problem is, that I really like the look and behavior of the script. They do have a demo posted - does anyone recognize the script? Is it available elsewhere? I’m looking far and wide and I like what they have to offer (if only they would give me what I’ve paid for…!)

Here is the demo http://craigslistclones.com/classifieds/

If anyone has alternate contact information or info as to where they acquired the script from, I would appreciate it.

Thanks - You guys run a good forum - the information has been helpful

Alextrs

I’d recommend http://www.ilistersoft.com for everyone how trying to build seo friendly classifieds site.
I’ve reviewed lots of scripts, and iLister is most customizable for seo.

I use 68classifieds.com on one of my websites. The support and the community is great. The price is awesome, and its a solid product.

That site is a scam and sells a pirated copy of the script. The original site to get that script is http://www.xzeroscripts.com/ at least thats what I believe and am told. I bought it from there and have it up on my site, its cheap, and does exactly what I need.

Actually you are right about who is the original developer of it. They also provide a support forum for their clients. Don’t fall into the trap of these other sites you will only end up disappointed. I did some looking for this script as well to find who really was the original owner and provided real support for it. Hope it helps you.