Confused on how to use the 1140 grid

OMG how stupid of me! The images are in the images folder. I corrected this and removed some other JS that I didn’t need any more and now it’s working for the most part. The bottom nav buttons are way out of whack and I need to drastically downsize the images but it functions and resizes with the rest of the page when I shrink my browser window. Now I just have to figure out what CSS controls everything. If I need more help, I will be back. I appreciate your help Ralph. See all of you on the Sitepoint forums make a great team!

I have gone over the flexslider css code and can’t get the background of the slider smaller. The images will be approximately 600x430something. I do want the transparent background but not so large. I also need the bottom nav buttons to be higher and not in the content area. There also seems to be bullets that I can’t get rid of on the left side of the slider. I can’t figure out where they are coming from. HELP?!?!? Suggestions?

Not sure what you mean by that.

I also need the bottom nav buttons to be higher and not in the content area.

Add this to the CSS:

.flexslider {position: relative;}

and remove the bottom: -30px from here:

.flex-control-nav {
margin-left: -31px;
position: absolute;
[COLOR="#FF0000"]bottom: -30px;[/COLOR]
left: 50%;
}

There also seems to be bullets that I can’t get rid of on the left side of the slider. I can’t figure out where they are coming from.

Add this:

.flex-direction-nav {list-style: none;}

If a block element has a tiling background image, the way to shrink that is to make the element itself smaller.

So you could for example set the width of the flexy div to something just set a width on it (and then center it with automargins). Right now that div doesn’t have any styles in it except a min-height (which I don’t think it needs, since there’s a bunch of padding in there as well anyway).

I have made the changes suggested to me by Ralph and Stomme. Now I need to figure out how to have 2 columns on the other pages without screwing up what Jason built for the responsive layout and still have it work. I tried just removing the left sidebar but that didn’t work too well. Do the other pages need to be refigured completely?

I don’t know if anyone has had a chance to look at my last post, but I am still lost. I am looking at the CSS pages for screen and smallscreen. I am not sure what triggers the content area when shrinking the browser to test the site. I have 6 pages besides the home page (which will remain 3 column) that need to be changed to 2 column. I took out the left sidebar but that messes things up so I know that I have to change the behavior of the other pages within the content CSS code. I am just not sure what I need to change or what to change it to. The site is uploaded with the new pages but they are just copies of the home page for now. http://foxdenwebsolutions.com/CACNR/index.html. Also the image slider will only be on the home page.

I think I finally figured it out. For the screen.css I added #noise_content {margin-right: 21em;}; on the bigScreen.css I added #noise_content {margin:0 21.15em 1em .5em;} on the HTML page I changed the <div id=“content”> to <div id=“noise_content”>. I think I will change noise_content to something else that will be for all other pages so there is not a lot of code. I am not sure about the image slider…it seems to take forever to load so I am considering talking me client out of having it. Once I get all the content added, then I will be heading over to the WP forum to get it coded properly for WP.

Glad you are making progress :slight_smile:

Your images are about 10 times too large (filesize). The one I looked at was 715k and I’m guessing you could get that down to about 70k without too much loss.

Ok I had all the images including the background at png 32 and dumbed it down to png 8. Seems to load faster now.

Now I have another dilemma, the client sent me some of the content and it is all in pdfs and formatted word docs. There are a bunch of charts and graphs because this is for a county counsel on noise around the airport. Would it be best to embed a PDF viewer? However, can that viewer be built so that it is responsive? I believe that it would not be a good idea to cut and paste the text as there are pages and pages of this stuff that would cause the viewer to have to scroll forever to read it all. Remember this will be a WP site so these can be considered articles. I was thinking about taking the first part of the different documents and typing it in and then having a “read more” but having the link download the documents. Not sure that is the answer either. Any suggestions?

PDF content can be a slippery slope. My advice is—If a client sends you a PDF, upload the PDF and create a link to it. (If they want the content as real text, they can send me the text. I’m not pulling it out of a PDF.)

Browsers each have their own way of displaying PDFs. I wouldn’t worry about PDF viewers etc.

Well the site is looking pretty good so I am heading over to the WP forum to get this coded for use as a WP theme so my client can take over once I have finished with building it. Thanks to everyone on this forum for all your help. Jason, Ralph, Paul, and others. I really appreciate your time, patience, and expertise in guiding me though creating a responsive site.