Direction of Web Development in relation to Jobs

Thank you a ton. This is good to know and takes away a lot of the pressure! Those AD’s were starting to look a little too intimidating when I think about it. Why do they put all those requirements in there if that’s really not what they are looking for? Or are they just setting the bar high hoping to find someone in an off chance with a photographic memory?

Yeah, this totally happened to me a while back as well, not fun. Was my first interview after coming back into web development. Didn’t check the website before I went in which I totally should have done. It was a walk-in interview, so I went down to the office and they asked me to pull up some of the work I had previously done (on the big screen projector via a laptop) only to find that 2 of the websites were completely different. Pretty embarrassing, but a good experience so to speak.

Looks like this is where we separate the men and women from the boys and girls. As nervous as it may seem it does make good sense and something I will definitely be doing after my next interview. Thank you for this.

Good point and so true, I know if I was doing the interview this is a place where I would spend a lot of time. As for myself not too worried as I try to keep pretty low key about things online. Nevertheless I’ll be doing a couple of searches to see what comes up as one never knows.

This is really good to know. Hopefully it won’t become too automated or too easy with higher level languages such as coffeescript, sort of like the jQuery javascript relationship, but then again even knowing jQuery a person probably still needs to know javascript to be fully successful.

The interviewers (preferably the supervisor/manager, if he/she is in the interview too)

You can utilize a bit of both really. The point is to stop focusing on making a list of what you know and talk about what you’ve done. So after you talk about the project, you can add the following (but only highlight the top 3, don’t make long lists)

This project focused on the following technologies:

• .NET (C#)
  • MVC Framework
  • NUnit

Although, I’d prefer to read it in the story format like so: This project utilized the following technologies; .NET, MVC, and NUnit (and you can list more than 3 this way). But that is solely my preference.

I didn’t have a portfolio as I’d never done any work in the field, so it was about work ethic, confidence, and attitude I suppose. If you approach anything with a ‘I’ve got nothing to lose by giving it a go’ attitude I think people pick up on that.

I really hope something works out for you soon.

1 Like

Why do they put all those requirements in there if that’s really not what they are looking for? Or are they just setting the bar high hoping to find someone in an off chance with a photographic memory?

Could be a number of different reasons.

I just Googled for an answer and came across this pretty nice article. It explains it better than I could.

This is pretty much exactly what I said earlier, lol:

“It’s a list of things that they need, then things that they want to use in the future or are thinking about using. They put in everything that’s in their environment, every sort of technology.”

Also:

Things like relationships, confidence, less definite skills, and proper presentation of experience make a difference and often can help candidates overcome a perceived shortage in qualifications.

The confidence thing is real though. At my current job, I literally thought I was interviewing for a MS C# ASP.Net position and it turned out the recruiter had sent me the wrong job listing and the job was Java on an IBM stack.

But, I showed confidence in my skills and my ability to perform and was offered the job 2 days later at a higher salary than what I was expecting. I was honestly not expecting to hear back from them and didn’t think I did very well at all, so it was a pretty nice surprise.

1 Like

lol, I thought I was the only one who had that happened to them. I went to what I thought was a PHP shop, they were a .NET C# shop and was offered the job as well :smile: So definitely a true statement. Confidence in your current abilities, acknowledging your current limitations, and your ability to show you are continuously learning will get you very far.

1 Like

This is definitely much better than what I’ve currently got on my resume. The story board format just makes it seam much more cohesive. Thanks again for the tip. Now my resume can undergo some new renovations, lol

Thanks HAWK, this really makes a lot of sense. It is clear to me now why I haven’t landed a position. Pretty sure if I run with all the advice from everyone here including yourself something will definitely work out. Thanks again.

Nice find! That article along with everything that has been said really makes me see just how wrong my approach was. Would never have thought that was how HR handled their hiring but at least now i’m actually able to get some sleep knowing the core of the problem rather than wondering what went wrong, lol.

Definitely something else I will start working on immediately. During an interview those requirements were just running through my mind the whole time and I just had the feeling of being on my heels in my responses rather than the balls of my feet. Totally a different approach. I mean I always knew you needed to be confident just didn’t know how much or how much it weighed during the interview. Thank you again for this advice.

1 Like

Has the industry changed for CS degree graduates? I remember my first interview where we just talked about my experience in college and how the weather was. This was all it took to sign my first job.

Do not back away from JavaScript!!! The demand for this skill will keep on increasing until there is alternative technology. I don’t see this happening for another 10 years. As of now, back-end programming is becoming more dumber by making the front-end smarter. There is massive shortage of JavaScript developers and it’s rare to see a developer who consider themselves as ‘full stack’ aka a guy who can do front-end and back-end. As of today, AngularJS is probably the most popular framework but there is other frameworks like ExtJS (my favorite tool). If you create a sample project using AngularJS or ExtJS then you should have a very good chance of getting hired.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.