Do you write your own Wordpress theme from scratch or use an existing theme?

You already have the HTML so, really, it’s just a matter of plugging in the loops and WP functions. Using an existing theme is crazy and likely much more time consuming.

Here’s my workflow:

• Take everything above your or tag and stuff it into header.php
  • Take everything below the content and stuff it into footer.php
  • Stuff everything else into index.php, in between <?php get_header() ?> and <?php get_footer() ?>
  • Add /* Theme Name: MyTheme */ to the top of your stylesheet

BOOM. You have a legitimate WordPress theme. Now obviously you’ll need to do some further dissection to satisfy your Template Hierarchy, but after you separate your header/footer, it’s just tweakage.

From here, you just do things like:

• Add <?php wp_header() ?> and <?php wp_footer() ?> to your header/footer.php
  • Register Menus/Sidebars
  • Add your posts loop
  • Create custom post types (typically with a framework, I use my own)

As you gain experience, you can build up a parent theme that has all the core functions/scripts you find yourself reusing and build off of that.

@labofoz

I totally agree with what you’re saying.

The only issue I have is, there are a number of files you need for even the most basic of themes. Things like 404’s, search, pages, etc. It seems easier to start with something if for no other reason that to make sure you don’t forget some required files. You don’t even need to use the code contained within the theme but it seems as though the pages serve as a good reference in building things out.

For this reason, I think _s makes the most sense. Unless someone has a better starter option.

I make themes myself with TemplateToaster.

Maybe this might be of help if you are really looking for a blank/naked WordPress theme:

The download button is in the bottom of that page.

“It includes all basic units for a client site – home page, about page, info page, blog page, etc. Including comments on each and every piece of the WordPress puzzle, so you can move things around intelligently, or remove them without worry.”

I am using TemplateToaster for generating WordPress theme . I have knowledge in developing Website using HTML/CSS/JS but not in CMS but with the help of this tool I have created many websites by using drag and drop feature, without the help of any developer . This tool provides many advanced features also.

1 Like

That sounds like a useful tool for some situations! My bet is that the OP already has moved on though, as they posted somewhere around 6 months ago :wink:

I wound up using _s (Underscores) for the project and it all went well. There were no issues or downsides. I would definitely use it again.

Hey, I new to this forum, but still want to share my views here, I am not into programming, but have read many blogs on such kind of stuff. I came to know about a software TemplateToaster, that design themes in few hours and user need not to write a complex and lengthy code. I also have searched this software over the web and there I read about its advanced features, i.e. bootstrap 3 features, ultra responsive, clean code generation and more latest features. If, users want to design new WordPress and then users may use this software for creating their new designs and install it on the respective CMS.

1 Like

any product that needs to SPAM to get word out is suspect to me.

2 Likes