Feedback about SitePoint on Discourse

Kind of adding to that, is the [quote] stuff custom or from Discourse? Seems odd to mix BBCode with Markdown.

The BBcode got mixed in when we migrated. Discourse doesn’t use it.

Edit: I’m wrong.

1 Like

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax — this is what we’re using, @HAWK? I saw the link in the Discourse cheat sheet.

There doesn’t seem to be much scope for nested > nested > nested quote replies :confused:.

Not quite sure what you mean.

Yes, we’ve had discussions with the Discourse team about this, and they seem to like the formatting as is. Probably something that will evolve over time, hopefully!

@system leads Discourse development and is also one of the leads of a group trying to standardize Markdown. Which includes representatives from some of the top sites who use it.
http://commonmark.org/

Daringfireball is an old and “unofficial” implementation. I’m not sure how well it passes the Markdown test.

http://blog.codinghorror.com/standard-markdown-is-now-common-markdown/

See the attached image in my post. I’ve outlined the duplicate links with grey rectangles. One on the left is a standard URL, while the right seems to be using some sort of markup to display it as a “title”.

This seems to be the only way to nest quotes manually, instead of simply highlighting everything > left click on quote. I think this sort of complexity (from what I’ve read) goes against what Discourse is aiming for.

I used to frequent various forums, but drifted away due to the spam and tendencies to get off topic. Willing to try out this new system to see if the things can be kept in control given the rules.

Markdown is a weird beast, but for something like a forum it may be a good option, since it makes formatting very simple once you know how. This seems to be using a dialect I haven’t used though, is there a reference available?

This is what we’re using.
I’ll update my document.

The link in the post is styled blue
the link that is grey is a Feature of Discourse that goes to the reference

1 Like

Synchronizing live drafts across browsers like http://sharejs.org/ is not really on the roadmap. That said, if you refresh a page you should always get the latest draft.

The body text in the left column of the home page is too faint for my older eyes. It’s only #999. Could it be darker, please. This may apply elsewhere too.

1 Like

That sounds fair enough. Let me talk to my people. :slight_smile:

I wonder if it is possible in a discussion that you started yourself to mark a reply as best answer? Especially with coding questions that might come in handy.

Not currently. But you can save your Like for the preferred answer.

However, FWIW, I get the sense from sites like Stack Overflow (where you can indicate your favorite answer) that OPs often are not good judges of the best answer anyway.

1 Like

Just to add a bit more. The internal post you link to, also gets a reference link to this post as well. Therefore posts can be cross-joined among discussions.

I wasn’t really hinting about syncing drafts, rather the duplication when opening a 2nd tab mid draft. But as cpradio said, it’s more of a feature!

I’m still getting used to the new Sitepoint Forums, but I am finding it really slick. :smiley:

I have a couple of comments/questions.

1. I think this has been mentioned before, but I notice that if someone has replied to a post, it is placed in a “1 Reply” or “2 Replies” etc section just below the post. So you click on this to be able to read the replies. But then those same replies are also displayed in the main thread. I’m finding this duplication of posts to be a bit disorienting. Is there anyway there can be either the one or the other, but not both?

2. Is there anyway I can set my preferences so that a link opens in a new window? I was viewing one post that had a question about their CSS. In that situation, I like to have the thread and the website in question, or source code, open at the same time so I can move back and forth easily. In this new setup, I kept having to hit the back button to reread the thread, or post a reply.

YAY!! Looks great. Going to take some time to get used to it, but the account I created at discourse.org helped.

Congrats! Looking forward to jumping in.

Och… how do I create a macro, so I don’t have to manually type my sig? :smile:

V/r,

:slight_smile:

I just hold down the Command key (Mac) when clicking the link to open links in a new tab.

I’m not 100% sure this is what you are looking for, but in your Preferences you will find this:

2 Likes