Forum Upgrade

Plugin on it’s way. We have to rewrite it…

Love the new look and features but am i the only one that got voted out of the following thread because I’m getting a permission denied error.

Phewww, I can sleep easy tonight.

[COLOR=#222222][COLOR=#222222][COLOR=#222222]Oh noes!! the code highlight menu is gone! Now I have to remember BBCode syntax.

Autosave is cool.

Also, the reply/advanced/cancel/submit (and probably all other buttons :P) should be bigger. Bigger buttons = more confidence from users that they are performing the right action.

I know… I’m a hypocrite[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[FONT=Consolas]

.actionbuttons .group .button {
  padding: 10px 15px;
}

[/FONT]There, I fixed it :wink:

It is nice.

Sorry I’m testing things :slight_smile: More testing will come :slight_smile:

You’re not alone SgtLegend.

New forum looks good.

Taking a little getting used to the new layout, colours and font sizes.

[COLOR=#222222]I’m waiting for someone to complain like people seem to whenever Facebook changes something :stuck_out_tongue:

Srsly though, looking good, esp. now that the design matches the rest of SP :slight_smile: Forums seem quicker too. Though load is probably quite low at the moment.

And I just noticed the Auto-save as I’m typing this. I’m sure that’s going to come in handy at some point…
[/COLOR]

And we’re done. Fingers crossed that we haven’t forgotten anything crucial.

It has for me. Or at least I’m still seeing the Sitepoint favicon. So one of us might have a cache problem.

I like the new forum layout, even though it takes a bit of getting used to. I can’t “see” things in a blink like I could with the old version, but I’m sure that’s just a matter of time.

I’m liking it overall, only things I really dislike is the fact that it’s not full-width and the small user profiles next to posts (they seem like they haven’t been touched at all).

But I’m sure you’ll make it prettier since you say it’s a WIP :slight_smile:

[COLOR=#222222][COLOR=#222222]

Rut roh.

[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

I think to get the favicon changed one needs to clear both the cache and restart the browser.

I still see the same favicon as from before the forum change. (Offset <> arrows in orange and blue, which look like a left-tilted S).No idea whether this is expected.

And to echo a previous post - wow, no word-wrap in the quick reply box! :lol:

Autosave is cool though. :slight_smile:

[COLOR=#222222][COLOR=#222222]

What browser are you guys using. Word-wrap seems to work fine in Chrome 14 for me.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]

logging in via opera, i get the “thanks for logging in” page, but then it dumps me back out as though i hadn’t logged in at all – i went around that circle three times before i realized i am a dope and it wasn’t working

why are the avatars so huge?

also, there is no faint line delineating the signatures, it will now be really difficult to spot the fake sigs…

Train wreck for accessibility, as expected loads even slower than the previous one and looks to chew 40% or so more bandwidth in a great times many more files – whoever is responsible for the markup of the skin deserves a slap with a wet trout… that ‘autosave’ thing sending my machine into the 9th ring of hell in terms of sucking down CPU and connection time – so much like digital point’s being unusable after the upgrade…

I’m probably done here. I’ve not seen a forum crapped on this bad since the last time I saw a UbbThreads installation.

Somebody gimme a holler when you have a skin for it that doesn’t get down on it’s knees in front of the proverbial equine.

– edit –

Wait, it’s ALMOST usable if you disable javascript… still gonna need to write a whole new custom user.css to make the bloody page actually legible without having to dive for the zoom… though:

• { font-size:100% !iimportant; line-height:150%! important; }

is a good start. Still though, 172k of HTML on the forum index for 19k of plaintext is EXACTLY that ineptitude I was referring to when it comes to vBull 4’s skins – in particular the abuse of lists and content cloaking to show tabular data.

Wow, fixing the fonts REALLY breaks the IDIOTIC FIXED WIDTH nonsense. Can’t believe you guys greenlighted THIS!

Yeah, much like every other forum I used to frequent that upgraded to vBull 4, I’m done here. Have fun with your forum downgrade, slower pages and increased bandwidth use.

Wait, it’s ALMOST usable if you disable javascript…

It’s the only way I’d ever bother using a forum. Glad I don’t have whatever this autosave thing is. My browser is slow enough as it is.

still gonna need to write a whole new custom user.css to make the bloody page actually legible without having to dive for the zoom…

http://stommepoes.nl/newvbull.png

though:

• { font-size:100% !iimportant; line-height:150%! important; }

I’m going to give that a try. That might make things nicer on my end.

*edit nope, the stylesheets here still just have too much specificity… I’d have to copy all these bbcode classes I think.

The CSS sets most text to normal 13px Tahoma,Calibri,Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;
calibri is like one of the tiniest fonts EVAR tho luckily I don’t have Windows 7 so I don’t have that one. 13px Calibri is like 9px Arial. eeeek.

ಠ_ಠ

Just one users opinion… site point has had some of the best forums around.

The new forum is fairly slow for me, especially in typing. There is a noticeable delay, maybe caused by the autosave feature? (Can you turn it off?)

I really, really miss the bar on the side that provided easy access to forums. Right now, I have to scroll quite a ways to get to the forums I visit.