Freelancing online... impossible to make money?

ok, but what about Freelance Writing? i earn real money in it. money can be easily made for freelance writers. once i like lots of people was looking for a way to earn extra money. And Freelance writing is just the very lucrative way to achieve your goal. you have free time and dedication, so you can make the extra money without any problems.

Depends where you live and how much it means to your country $ 500. Not the same purchasing power of $ 500 in UK, which in several Asian countries. If you pay attention, most freelancers are from India and Pakistan.

That is true. I myself have hired programmers in India. For work in USA charge me $ 300, India offered someone $ 50. The same work. Why do you think that so many large companies are installed in China and India? :slight_smile:

But probably not the same quality. I have seen and fixed a lot of code written by cheap offshore companies and am of the opinion using them is a false economy because the code is usually insecure, uses outdated practices and is often not fit for purpose. RBS found this out to their cost recently when their banking systems went offline for days.

You may be right EastCoast. Since I’m not a programmer, I might not see those details that you can see. I will take into consideration what you said for more complex projects. If I commented, I bought a simple script.
Now I wanted to hire a WordPress theme design, such as ThemeForest, and what you say here is clear: not the same quality as what they sell in some markets.

The work on themeforest is usually ok as it has to go through an approval process before it is accepted to go on sale.

This is so true. I simply do not want every customer that request a bid. Not all customer are the kind of customers I want. There are so many looking for the lowest price, which is not the kind of people that I like to do business with.

I like this answer but how do you get in-touch with the buyers.Do you mean the people that are actually offering the job? Because I really want to make money freelance but I agree with the poster, it seems impossible but for many people it happens.

I want to know is it even possible to make a 1,000 per month with out spending tons of money out of pocket?

You can get in touch with buyers on freelance sites, most of the time you must do that before you get the job anyway.

Spending money? Perhaps only on freelance sites that have some sort of paid membership benefits, hosting, or tools like Photoshop, etc. But those are small expenses comparably. You don’t spend money to earn money as a freelancer, that’s the whole point of freelancing. How much you can earn depends on your skill set, how much time you can put into it and your ability to sell your services. $1k/mo is pocket change in most of the western world but I believe it’s a good salary in the developing countries, that’s why freelancers from those countries are able to undercut the prices. Obviously there would be no freelancers other than those in the developing countries if it was not possible.

So you believe that only people from the developing countries will get this kind of benefit? I mean earning through freelancing? I think 1k/month for people in the developing countries already means a lot to them but this just means that less work is available for westerners.

No, that’s the opposite of what I meant. There are freelancers all around the world. There’s never a shortage in demand of quality work.

I tried freelancing for a bit, I just couldnt compete with some of prices other people were willing to work for

Great discussion!! It’s true that the prices they are paying are sometimes ridiculus! It’s like asking you to do it for free. I had the bumped into the same situation when i started freelancing. I began by making profiles in several freelance bidding sites and the case was the same in all. Freelancers from countries with lower GDP or more experienced freelancers won all the projects i was intrested in. The one that made the difference for me was Peopleperhour.com, the one i still use to work. Peopleperhour is a bit different cause most of the clients and sellers are from UK,Europe and US, so you can actually get work and get paid for it. Also, i started with Hourlies, Peopleperhour’s new service. With Hourlies, you can decide what service you are offering, when can you deliver and at what price you are doing it.

Nice post danai_p! Welcome to Sitepoint and keep valued post coming :slight_smile: !

I tried a freelance writing. If you have decent skills you can get not bad money at this field.

Thanks Miller76, do you care to expand on what makes different desired writing skills and what is your definition of not bad money (In general not your personal terms)?

Actually i logged into so many online earning sites, but not one is fare. How can i found the right one. I am an SEO Consultant from Bangalore.

Can anyone help me, how can i get projects?

hi TomB! I agreed the buyer are not giving the money that they should be given to us, to me actually they post the jobs for poor country people like India not for US people because they can’t people in us for these projects that’s why they hire only Indian and Pakistani people to give project. The link of elance you shared in this post, If you notice there are 7 proposals and all of them from inida.

I personally know some professional web developers and webmasters who work freelance full time. They were hired at this certain site that was able to give them full time work over the web. As far as I know, they are still making good money even though they are working remotely. I actually like it that way than it is for them to get hired on those contract only sites where they just bid to get some work.

I think it’s just a matter of staying on top of the competition and being true to the profile you build. Your reputation builds up when you continue to make excellent work.