Getting a business administration degree is it worth it?

An MBA is a large investment of both time and money, but it usually pays off. A few years ago, many people (mostly women, as it turns out) left the workforce to obtain an MBA only to find that the economy had tanked and while they had a new degree, they had lost their jobs and found it difficult to get another because so many were in the same position.

Aside from learning the theory and science behind business and decision-making, I’ve been told that the largest benefit is in learning teamwork and group problem-solving skills. These study groups force both cooperation and opening up to all sorts of ideas. The pressure of deadlines further enforces the habit of not taking forever to produce your best work.

So, it’s just what you learn in a business program, especially an advanced one, but a way of thinking and problem-solving that can be an advantage for the rest of your life.

If you desperately need a new degree get a health care degree such as nursing or physical therapy or something like that. It doesn’t even have to be clinical (involving touching people). There are one million and one options. Get out of the mindset of the anonymous army of MBA’s in black suits, many of whom will be losing their jobs in the next few months. There are just too freaking many of those people and the economy is growing fed up with them. The health care industry needs legions of clinical informatics people. With your web publishing experience and your health industry experience you will have access to just the right kind of people in both industries. You can turn that into a career in the IT dept. of a hospital or a university teaching position or start your own company catering to the health care industry. Because of the desperately large and desperately unhealthy population of this country, the health care industry will be growing long after many other industries have curled up into a fetal position and shrunk.

I think by getting an MBA you are going from specific to general skills-because the MBA is such a vague degree-I can’t imagine anything more vague. But I feel you need to be going from generalized to more specific. A lot of people talk about “finding your niche market” and they’re right.

I’ve just gotten a new nursing job at Chicago’s Christ Hospital and gone through their orientation program. All the teaching modules are designed in Flash and Director and run on computer stations that the students play with. The module that teaches how to use a blood glucose monitor (a little gadget the size of a fat calculator) was all done in Flash. It’s a simulation that involves students “operating the device” by clicking “buttons”. And medical schools-oh boy, how much money can be made working with medical schools. They have an insatiable appetite for anatomical simulations and stuff like that-done in 3D software, Flash, etc.

Trouble is if you have no health care background at all you lack 1) knowledge and also you lack 2) access to the right people…It’s all about surrounding yourself with the right people.

Any degree is worth a risk, but i think it is important to make sure you will enjoy it as well as gain what you want out of pursuing it. I did a Creative Writing degree and truly enjoyed it, and feel it was worth the risk (despite what many people said).

A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration is generally the minimum requirement of most employers for entry-level positions in business. A Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) will prepare students for careers in financial services, economics, accounting, sales, human resources, and marketing. Statistics show that people with Bachelor’s degrees benefit from higher salaries and higher-level job positions as compared to those without. Alternatively, a Master’s degree in Business is more specialized. Several Master’s programs are also targeted towards people who have been working for a while and need the increased academic credentials to move on higher up the corporate ladder. There are several career options open to you even with a basic business degree. You could look at areas as diverse as sales and marketing, healthcare administration, travel management, finance and investments, human resource management, retail management, business consultancy, investment advisors, and venture capitalists. Whatever you finally choose, your education will form the foundation of your success. Check out the business degree programs offered by CollegeAmerica if you are interested - they come highly recommended.

Its good you can compete your MBA in marketing and advertising.Its a nice combination to go with.After completion you can get nice package in any company.

Three years of work experience gets you about 80k with a signing bonus.

Depends what you do with it and who is your employer, i know some people who have become high school teachers after gaining their MBA.

I would say don’t get an MBA if your goal is to learn a lot about business. it just costs too much for that. You would be better off getting something like Masters in Marketing or Management. However, if your goal is to boost your CV and make more money I believe it is a worthwhile investment of time and money.

It’s becoming a trend whereby those aiming for higher managerial position will go for MBA courses while employer will also put higher emphasis towards promoting people with the qualification. It’s definitely the best investment.