Getting on the PR Bandwagon

??

And yet their results are full of spam. I wouldn’t bet much.

I dunno…maybe the owner of the site died er something

It wasn’t my site, I just used the talkboard and learned from some ofthe guys there. Most of them made their living studying the engines and doing SEO services

And, I don’t know how much money the site owner made.

Not an SEO expert but I believe it comes from Matt Cutts himself, and it’s been around for a few years now.

3 (or more) way link exchanges still work. As long as there’s no way for search engines to figure out the reciprocity.

Wow. Talk about the world of search engine uncertainty. Well, you know what? Even if all else fails with link building, you still have good ol’ article marketing, video creation, social bookmarking and social networking to fall back on. Maybe search engines have changed up their game, because the Black Hat SEO webmasters have possibly messed it up for everyone, and the search engines are now changing up their online algorithm game too. Ya never know. That’s why it pays to keep site content fresh and serve others! :slight_smile:

I heard exchanging links is now a dead issue that does niether one any good because they cancel each other out and does nothing for you in the engines.

Sounds like exchanging links has gone that way of meta tags as search engines ignore this now.

I’ve done the opposite! Dropped my links on the website pages of my friends who occasionally need my help. When they say, “What do I owe you?” I let them know I want to put my link on their site. They don’t dare say NO!!!

It’s all good though fam, because when I accomplish internet millionaire status, I’ll still be the same guy going out in public dressed like a bum, with crusty feet and all, and have like $50g’s in my pocket to spend on absolutely nothing at all, while some folk will still judge me for looking some kind of way on the outside, and never find out the value of what my mind is truly worth, and stay in the state they are in. Life is about helping each other, not tearing each other down, ya know…

My opinion has always been, this is not a “zero sum” universe.
No one else must fail so that I may succeed.
There is room up here for any and all who would want to be successful and do what it takes.
By the same token, Cream Always Rises, so there is no worry that anyone is going to nudge you from your success. Stay resilient, stay fresh, stay YOU, and you cannot fail.
I tell my family and friends this all the time. I hope to see them here too!

I would never help family, I would help friends over family.

I will definitely share o my family what I am doing in the internet. If they choose to do the same I will gladly teach and assist them. No problem with me.

What an interesting post.

My parents know what I do, they don’t care much though as they don’t understand it. Whenever we go to family gathering relatives rather not have me elaborate on what I do, again, because they don’t understand it. Just as I go to educate them they quickly interrupt me in asking were my dad or brothers are. So much for socializing.

I was talking about this to my dad today. He brought in a letterhead about a young American, Russell Brunson. He told me this guy is coming in our local area to help us needed people become millionaires, so he can help us in this economic downturn.

My dad then said with his money and my computer brain power (not sure I would call it that), we can become millionaires.

Anyhow, I have this analogy to give to you:

Say I was selling this unique product, which nobody had, and people would struggle to replicate it. I was making millions upon millions and it’s in demand.

Now I want to teach others how they can do this wonderful thing. I am willing to sell this wonderful secret which is making me so much money.

By me teaching you this wonderful secret I am in effect bringing more people to the market, which in turn is making me less and less money. So why in my right mind would I do this?

Well, maybe because I know there is more money in teaching how to do it then actually doing it, as I soon know this market will be flooded and it’s a quick way to cash in on the moment.

These people are money-hungry monsters, willing to destroy somebody else’s wellbeing in an attempt to get more and more money, as they knew their cards are running out. If you ever go to these seminars you will see the poor folks brainwashed by their trash. Trust me, they can brainwash people, and once you’re brainwashed, you too would believe it.

Don’t get me wrong, what they are teaching is true, and at one point you made a lot of money doing it, but the chances of you doing the same under their care is literally b*ll-hockey. I just had to get that off my chest.

In regards to people who made money online. A lot of them invested a huge amount of time, money and energy in doing when they do. A great man once said “I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have”. I suppose this is true in this case.

There is no easy short cut, or overnight millionaires. Everybody worked very hard in doing what they did. I hate to say it, but even Google did. Both Sergey and Laurence came from a upper-class upbringing and both went to a world-class university. One even went to a Montessori school which has it’s own unique style of teaching. So you could only imagine the energy their parents must have devoted not to mention the money and time both Sergey and Laurence gave in order to get this product they call Google recognized.

Now if I go to somebody and say, “I know how you can become successful”, and give him a list of things to do giving all this energy and time doing it, would you feel that he would do it? Probably not.

Most successful people do what they do because they enjoy it and are therefore willing to give the time and energy. Having said this, every so often God throws us a bone, and our labor pays off. In some people’s eyes that bone in “luck”, but in my eyes it’s just what was naturally going to happen because of their determination.

Would you allow your family and friends to cash in and link to your website just because of their connection to you?

They have a job just like I do. So the answer is probably not. However, if my relative asked me for something that I sell I would probably give it at cost price because their blood. We are very family orientated here, so doing not be a wise choice.

Direct relatives, like farther, brothers and mother, I would tell them if they wanted to know, even couch them if they asked. But my parents don’t want more work, and my brother’s all have their hobbies and interests. They are all happy doing what they are doing and we seem to be living comfortably.

I hear you Wiz. And I did say perceived value. It’s a “loophole” gold mine!
When it all boils down my perception of value is according to my “whim”. In the end my personal spidey sense dictates what I do, but that’s where I start from.

If there’s no point linking, there’s no point linking I figure.

My passions are mainly philosophy and humor. My mom’s are basically books and plants.

If her blog was humorous and informative and it just needed exposure, I’d not passively link. I’d likely try to get her do a guest post or do a “Hey check out this blog. It’s cool, and I’m not just saying that because she’s my mommy” type post.
If our target audience was totally different, I couldn’t send her any decent traffic anyway and it would be nothing more than just more web litter invading my precious space now.

I’m a huge believer in sink or swim Wiz. I believe everyone can swim. I will not throw you a life preserver, I’ll throw one like 10 feet from where you are. I’ll watch you thrash about uselessly and suggest you either stop wasting your precious energy, and swim to the preserver or get out of the pool.

“If we can’t control our wants, we have no real self control”.
Whose sig is it that says “The less our wants, the more we resemble the gods”.
A cigar is very rarely just a cigar in my experience, and a link is never just a link…

We’re all svelt and efficient like a cheetah, often thrashing around like a bloated, drowning gnu is the best way to find it.

<?php endsermon ?>

lol BLZ - I agree, I really like “rethink the relationship” statement too :lol:

The PR was a mix of both Saul, PageRank and the Public Relations hype - I agree BLZ about the power hungry PR people out there - it’s just beyond google status now! :nono:

Whilst I can understand and appreciate your viewpoints, I’m still struggling with this “for fun” linking lark! Say you have a blog ok - it’s just something generic, you write about everyday life and things your passionate about on a daily basis - over time you develop a following, you become successful, steady readers, high PR, earning money etc - are you saying that you still wouldn’t include a link to your friends or families site on your blog somewhere? Would you now think that because you blog is now yeilding an income you can’t afford to gamble with irrelevant links and put your business cap on? :scratch:

[FONT=“Georgia”]hmm… Depends on what it is.

If it’s a fun, personal site, then yeah, of course I’d link all my close friends and family who are interested. Well… “Friends” I should say. My family doesn’t really know what I do online either. My mom kind of, but many of them seem to think I fix computers.

If it’s a site that’s more targetted, then no, I don’t think I would. I wouldn’t want to spoil the feel of the site, neither link to content not relevant to its viewers.

[/FONT]