How irritating is a non-english speaker to an english speaker?

Thanks for understanding, guys. :slight_smile:

i speak french and English and Arabic and that’s overwhelming . i make a few mistakes here and there in all languages but wen you write in your blog you should perfect it ! you can pay someone else in freelancing websites to check for typo mistakes

I forgot to share a funny story with you. You know the great George Bernard Shaw. He has wanted to reform the English alphabet to be a phonetic one. He described the need of reform with the word “GHOTIO” which should sound as [fiʃ]. To answer to your WTF is that see his explanation enouGH [i’nʌF] - wOmen [wImin] - naTIOn ['nei ʃ n]. :slight_smile:
The English language isn’t easy, really!

I guess that is irritating but it should not be criticized in negative manner, No body in this world is native English. So there are people who wants to work online and they don’t know English, But it doesn’t mean they should not contribute their unique and quality work. But the main thing is to learn. If you think you are not good in English, get some good coaching classes and try to learn from anywhere. Hope in the end you people will not be irritated.

Is that right? What about the English and other British subjects, the Australians, the Canadians, the Americans. What would you say is their native language? :rolleyes:

LOL. Actually I meant, “Not everybody” in this world. :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry about that…!!

I read in a facebook discussion that Americans don’t really care about the grammar when it comes to communicating to non-native speakers. Someone explained that Americans understand how English speaking can be with non-native speakers. So long as they understand what non-native speakers are saying, its fine with them. Just sharing.

As long as I can understand the english Grammar it’s fine with me. :slight_smile:

I believe that syntax is more of an issue than grammar, but of the two it is much easier to check for grammar errors. Although one can expect a non-English speaker to make grammatical errors, nobody likes to visit a sloppy site. Correct punctuation and capitalization show the visitor that, although the content may come from one who’s first language is not English, at least they are making an effort to get it right.

Moreover, I don’t consider a Facebook discussion to be a credible reference on the ins and outs of English usage in a website, especially since user names often make users anonymous and profiles can be falsified to appear to come from a country that is not the home of the Facebook member.

+1 because most post on facebook are not credible. And there are many people having many accounts on facebook. specially posers

Non English peoples spelling and grammar can sometimes be below average, but I wouldn’t goes as far to say that it annoying. Most foreign people know a good amount of English anyway and even if for example a non English person writes a post it is usually broken English bit not to the point that I cannot understand them. The internet is for everyone hence the “www.” before all domains :slight_smile:

It doesn’t matter whether you are a native English speaker or not unless the person who is listening you, is able to understand you and having a proper conversations with you, yes, there are many sites, where there is poor english grammar mistakes done by the People from abroad, but till the time you are able to properly communicate to the person and understand what he/she is trying to tell you, there will be no issue or no question to get annoyed.

I think that should not be too much of problem in communication between non-English speaker to an English speaker, until they are understanding what they trying to communicate with each other. But if they are really unable to understand each others language and dialogue, it’s really irritating.

I am not really referring to contents online. I was referring to speaking the English language in general, although I get what you mean. When it comes to web contents, one has to make sure that you are writing at your best, with correct grammar and use of punctuation. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be that interesting to read, like you need to read it back again to see what was really meant and all…

My comments are meant to address the OP’s question in the original post

Please tell me how you feel reading at few mistakes in a post or a content…

I’m actually guilty of thinking that a non-English speaker has less of intelligence than me or my English speaking peers. I don’t know why this is so, but when they cannot understand your English words and stumble over trying to speak them, it just comes off as non-intelligent. Do you all ever get that feeling? I know you do. Just admit it. So with content on the internet using a .com with another language other than English, is sometimes the same thing with me. I don’t know why, i need to get over it i guess.

I agree. You need to get over it. Consider the fact that the person who doesn’t speak great English, does speak another language that you probably can’t speak or read. In fact, most of the people I know from outside of the US speak more than two languages.

Yes, given that this thread is about irritation, that’s what really irritates me—when native speakers mock the efforts of someone trying to communicate in their language, when they themselves wouldn’t have a clue how to string two words together in the speaker’s language. The height of arrogance. Surely the natural emotion is to appreciate their efforts and do one’s best to understand what they are saying.

…or even in their own! The standard of communication from a great many native English speakers is woeful, and often bettered by people who have learned it as a second/third/more language.

[ot]

Sorry mate, dunno wotcha torken about … :frowning: [/ot]