How to build a desktop like application interface using JavaScript?

I guess having Java programmers write garbage that they think is JavaScript is probably even more common than having JavaScript programmers write garbage that they think is Java.

I would assume any JSers would take a look at Java, think it was C, and run away.

Us JSers, we take a look at Java, realise that it’s not C, and run away. :smiley:

I agree. C is a fairly easy language but Java looks to be a much harder one (way harder even than C++).:rofl:

Actually C++ is the harder language (if you want harder than that it’s time to get ASM out of the box) but they do have quite a bit in common, my cousin used to program Java all the time but I always mocked him for it because as far as I am concerned, Java is the runt of the C family (the slow, ugly one which only the sadists enjoy the company of). Java does have it’s uses for mobile devices but for the desktop, it’s hideous (in both resource hogging and it’s gnarly GUI tools) :lol:

(the slow, ugly one which only the sadists enjoy the company of)

But, but but… he comes with his own house!!! hmm like a houseslug.

Isn’t that why anyone uses it in the first place? The VM?

Adobe Air seems good, I’m looking at it. Unfortunately it cannot launch external app which is limiting it so I’m hesitating between it and Java.

ASM is not so hard, I have programmed ASM in Win32 api in the past, it’s rather the lack of easy-to-follow documentation that makes things hard.

You develop GUI based Java applications for different platforms, you can go for the Moblie applications, you can embed java applications in your web pages, and these different platforms have different methods to develop the java appilcations. Just follow the methods of one specific platform. Afterall it needs the effort.

I didn’t find C++ all that hard as I already knew C. Once Ii had learnt what object oriented programming was writing C++ was really easy but Java still looks way to hard for me to bother with considering how limited it is in what it can do.

Perhaps it’s because I come from a BASIC background as to why I found it complicated, I started on BASIC (aged 6), moved along each version of Visual Basic (up to 6) and then whilst learning Delphi (pascal) I dived into VB.NET (05 + 08)… though I’m learning C# so I guess that’s something :slight_smile:

I learn lots of new stuff here ! regard

So now we’re liable for anticipating not only rare disabilities, but undiagnosed or unclassified disabilities that the user doesn’t even know they have? Does this not seem the least bit absurd? Damn it, Jim, I’m a programmer, not a lawyer!

By the way, I told my project coordinator that I think we need to prominently place a message on every page instructing users who have difficulty with the site to call our toll free phone number for assistance. Rewriting the whole site simply isn’t practical at this time.

In principle, I agree that a Web site should work without JavaScript. In practice, I don’t have any say in the matter in my current position.

You don’t have to deal with any disabilities explicitly, nor should you. Accessibility is about dealing with issues which may damage someone’s browsing experience. You do not need a medical degree to be able to do this. As an example… sure color blindness, short-sightedness, eye loss, full blindness, cataracts and others could be seen individually as problems which may affect the end user… but you don’t need to know that. What you are expected to know is that people may have visual disabilities of varying levels… therefore ensure your sites visuals degrade as gracefully for people with varying needs as your website would for browsers with lesser levels of technology support. It’s not about knowing condition by name and dealing with each thing individually. It’s about knowing all the ways people interface with computers (and there’s not that many) and then dealing with what could happen on a sliding scale.

In the example of visual disability you think… what if they can’t see well (blurry vision, short/long-sightedness), what if they can see well but they can’t see all colors (color blindness), what if they can’t see at all (total blindness / had eye surgery). It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to think of the various ways people use technology (sight, hearing, touch) or the way’s they connect with it (intellectual, emotional, social, psychological) and then taking factors which may affect them. If you have a aural problem, it’s going to be your ears that are affected… what affects ears on the web… sound… what if they can’t hear properly (tinnitus) or if they can’t hear at all… have subtitles, audio description or transcripts. Just like with web design it’s about the situation of the end user rather than their explicit needs :slight_smile:

You are definitely NOT a programmer if you don’t know how to get a web page to work without JavaScript.

Who said I don’t know how? As I’ve stated twice already, I am not the person who makes that decision at my company. I simply implement what the suits dream up. If they want a jQuery accordion menu or a cute little billing cost calculator on the page, that’s what they get.

It’s rather odd that you declined to answer my question a few pages back, yet found the time to post this little jab.

Never mind the fact that a “desktop-like Web application” is a total contradiction from the start. Once you’ve decided to violate REST in order to make HTTP do something it wasn’t designed for, you may as well go whole hog and load that puppy up with all the JavaScript it will bear. Just sayin’. :smiley:

You may as well go even further than that and not bother to create it at all since once the word gets out about how crappy it is no one will go anywhere near it.

There has still been no reason presented in this thread as to why the page can’t be made operational without JavaScript as well as performing the way it was requested to when JavaScript is enabled. It doesn’t require much more work on the programmer’s part to achieve that.

Finish voting… I can see that jQuery is the most popular when it comes in Java Script…

im surprised that no one suggested GWT (google web toolkit) for this exercise. Then again, its the reason that all of Google’s JS ends up rubbish.

its not so much that its the result of a bunch of Java programmers trying to write JS, but its a bunch of Java code that is cross compiled into JS, HTML and CSS.

in GWT, the interface components are created using java classes. then GWT transforms the functionality into the relevant UI components and bam, you get the messy JS code as a result. no different to using Dreamweaver to write the HTML for you.

How would you create, without JavaScript, a spreadsheet application like the Google Apps one?

In fact, how would you create a desktop spreadsheet application that is totally accessible?

If you are going to impose accessibility requirements on a web based spreadsheet application, those requirements should be no greater than is required for a desktop spreadsheet application.