How to get server access?

I’m not getting anywhere with the install; I keep having problems (see thread above). Would either @orodio or @cpradio care to chime in?

Unfortunately, I know very little about Ruby :frowning: I’m just learning it myself. @orodio asleep right now, he is on a way different time schedule than the rest of us, so when he awakes, he’ll probably get you some help.

:wink: also that book I linked goes through deploying a rails app to Heroku :wink: I believe the first section of the book is called “From Zero To Deploy” or something like that.

2 Likes

Oh, good; I’ll take a look. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Well, I belatedly thought to check the T & C for the offer, and it turns out that you can’t use any of New Relic’s partners for the install. Heroku is one of their partners; hence, I can’t use it. :frowning:

Bummer! I was getting so close, too. :frowning:

I know I’m a bit late to the party, but why not use Amazon Web Services and use the free tier?

David

Thanks, David. Unfortunately, AWS is one of New Relic’s partners also, so I can’t use them. :frowning:

I suppose some of the other, non-partnered, developer platforms could be used, but they lack the handy-dandy “Deploy to Heroku” one-click button. :smile: So I’d have to go through a full, manual install of whatever software I choose, which, I’m finding, is a bit beyond my level at this time. So I’m pulling back and thinking about next steps…

OpenShift? And why are you tied specifically to Heroku?

I’m not; that’s just what was originally suggested to me, and I didn’t know about other services. Also, it has the advantage of the one-click “deploy to Heroku” button, which simplifies matters tremendously. But since the deadline is later than I originally thought, I may have time to play with another service. I’ll check out OpenShift; thanks. :slight_smile:

Why not bypass all of that and if you’re on a Mac or a Linux box, just install MAMP or LAMP then install New Relic to track it. Setup a simple PHP website like Wordpress and navigate it locally.

https://bitnami.com/stack/ruby/installer

That might do what you need for learning Ruby, that would leave you free to not having to worry about installation of a Ruby server until nearer to when you’re ready to deploy an app. According to the read me it has:

Ruby 2.1.5

• RubyGems 1.8.12
  • Rails 4.1.7
  • ImageMagick 6.7.5
  • Subversion 1.8.8
  • SQLite 3.7.15.1
  • MySQL 5.5.40
  • Apache 2.4.10
  • PHP 5.4.34
  • phpMyAdmin @@BITROCK_PHPMYADMIN_VERSION@@
  • Git 1.9.0
  • Nginx 1.6.2
  • Sphinx 2.0.4
  • DevKit (Windows only)
  • AWS SDK for Ruby 1.8.3.1
  • RVM @@BITROCK_RVM_VERSION@@ (Linux and OS X only)

Would that be a valid entry into the competition he was asking about?
The wording is “Deploy an app with New Relic” I believe.

Yes, and unless it gets extended time is running short.

Deploy New Relic before December 31st and you’ll get a free year of access to Learnable, including unlimited downloads of books and video courses.