Ideas For SitePoint Books

Agreed.

My final book idea would actually involve hardware, with software. Try, build your own Development PC, that can handle Adobe CS5 and Visual Studio at the same time without lag. It can inform the web designer/developer to create their perfect development environment.

I find it odd then, to ask a question about SP business in SPF.

Why is then so much brown nosing around the SP liaison with the forums? :lol:
I can almost smell a cult. As in behind the Iron Curtain cult. Those unfamiliar with those times and these terms, feel free to ask your fellow forum grandpas. Like me. :lol:

That’s why I still stand behind my proposal: given the SPF long and rich history, a comparison between former and current forum staff, the challenges of maintaining a forum, the changes, and the power you have to control and dominate, rather than let it dominate you.

Also, I believe users, long time users, have unique insight as to what once was and how things evolve. Using SPF as a study case throughout time, could make history. It could became a classic, studied in schools.

Twitter, facebook, also, modern examples of “Your digital invested powers - abusing them means you don’t have them”.

I don’t know if you noticed but sometimes we don’t know the answer :lol:

Brown means a SP author, either because they wrote a book or articles.

SP staff use black badges :slight_smile:

:lol:

I’m not sure you’ve understood. Google “brown nosing”. :wink:

You are SP stuff? Or SPF staff? The question is asked in behalf SPF or SP?

I was wondering, if SP and SPF don’t mix, how come they mix now? How come SP mixes with SPF to find out about books?

USPaperchaser, stop whinging and post the darn articles :wink:

You know I love your work too :slight_smile:

Good suggestion, I’d be interested in this too.
Also info on what’s happening with Canvas 3d / WebGL.

I’ll google it.

This is the last time I answer a question in this thread. I’m very happy to answer any question but this thread needs to answer a question and I don’t want to drift away from it.

I’m SPF staff and the question is asked on behalf of SP staff

I wouldn’t say that we don’t mix, we’re simply not related. Yet, the forum space and maintenance, and the programming time to add new features to vBulletin are paid by SP HQ. They also pay for other things (like all the expenses to host the forumcast) and SP HQ pays for all the prizes we give in our contests. As far as I know, they have never said no to anything we asked from them.

And now, enough of this. Any questions you want to ask, either pm them to me, or put them in another thread. Thanks :slight_smile:

I’d like to see a good Ruby book that focuses on developing web sites and applications WITHOUT using rails. Rails is only a framework, and only one method of building a website using Ruby. I’d like to see a book focus on Rack, simple web frameworks like Sinatra, and getting down and dirty with simple but relatively low level concepts like setting HTTP headers, handling sessions, etc. People who learn Ruby and Rails at the same time are limiting themselves, and they lack understanding of fundamental concepts which would allow them to make better decisions.

Such a book may be beyond the scope of Sitepoint however.

Whoa! Guys! There is no bias here. I’m an ex .NET dev myself! This community is only as strong as it’s members. We don’t do anything to promote the PHP forum over the .NET one.

I don’t actually have any control over what we publish. Please email editor@sitepoint.com with your proposal and they’ll go through the process with you. Either that or follow the link at the bottom of the page as Molona suggests. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how much of this is serious… brown nosing around me?? I am the only SPF staff member that works for SPHQ. That works well for us. If there are SP related questions here on the forum I answer them or take them to my colleagues. Otherwise, all my staff here are volunteers and they do an amazing job. From where I sit there is no brown-nosing.

I’d like a book(s) on…

1.) Hosting a Website

2.) Server Administration

3.) Hosting/Server Security

4.) Website Security

Debbie

I agree with web security. Most of the time you see some articles here and there but that’s about it.

To clarify, I’d like to see a quality book that basically covers…

“Now that you’ve read all of our SitePoint books on building a website, how do you actually deploy, maintain, and keep secure your baby?!”

Especially for those of use who feel a $5/month Shared Hosting Account with GoDaddy/HostGator/1&1 is NOT the way to go… :wink:

Sincerely,

Debbie

PAYPAL! or a book on multiple payment gateways…

It’s so friggin’ hard to find a good book on it… in fact I haven’t found one. Everything I’ve seen has been way out of date… or useless…

especially IPN, and also best practices…

pdf would be fine… kindle would be better :slight_smile:

Yeah, Paypal IPN is a PITA - and very poorly documented with no examples to be found anywhere… would be the good topic of an article here if not a book.

I’ve had a similar idea about writing a usability, accessibility and best practice book targeted at front-end developers brewing as well.

That would be very helpful.

Agreed, a book for the social media APIs is very much needed.

Maybe a general book on how to outsource effectively.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.
I’m going to close this thread now.