Is 50 too old to be a web designer

if you a knowledge and passion towards your target then age doesn’t matter.

I don’t think age matters but geeky grandpas would seem ridiculous.

okay, that’s ridiculous, sonny

now get off my lawn, you impertinent rapscallion

Take no offense. I apologize if I made you sad because of your age :x
I just cannot imagine a couple of 60+ y/o computer nerds blabbing about new Assasin’s Creed or Core i7.

Maybe it is time for me to become more tolerate?
Sorry for disturbing. Rapscallion is getting off this lawn:lol:

I don’t see why not? Just cause their old doesn’t mean they shouldn’t use the web, When we become elderly I’m sure we’ll be engaging in all the things we currently do… after all, we are the web generation and as our lives are heavily influenced by the web, we’ll just be more refined silver surfers. :slight_smile:

You’re right. I cannot understand or imagine that because of my mentality and habits of my country, I guess. My 60 y/o father cannot send an SMS unassisted. It seems too difficult to him. But, maybe it is because he never used to work with a hi-tech stuff.
Anyway, take no offense and kick all of those young and selfish rapscallion’s asses :smiley:

le Mulder: you need to hang out with some of those crusty, bearded, ex-hippy communist Unix guys. They’re old and hip to technology. When they were young, they were a-phreakin’. They wrote software. Then they ranted about n00bz and kids these days. Then some of them showered and shaved and became evil capitalists and got rich (but not most of them). They’re still running around giving talks and being oohed and aaahed over by the younger generations.

for me age doesn’t matter as long as you can do your job well

Stomme poes,

Oh, I’ve heard about those. They always wear sweaters and can fix a server by mindpowah just looking at it.

And they can pick food out of their beards. : )

(ew, saw a Richard Stallman video where he seemed to eat something he picked off his foot… I couldn’t eat lunch!)

Take no offense. I apologize if I made you sad because of your age
I just cannot imagine a couple of 60+ y/o computer nerds blabbing about new Assasin’s Creed or Core i7.

I don’t know … I talk about those games with my 18 year old son quite often and he has even got me playing Mass Effect 2 (Remember I’m the 57 year old woman studying internet applications at college.)

Ouch! The world is really very weird. I cannot imagine my mom (she’s three years older than you) playing any simple game like Mario not that admirable ME2.

My compliments to you Mrs. WebMachine!:blush:

I think my childhood would differ from what it was if I had mom like you. But… we were reading Dostoevsky and Hemingway every Wednesday evening. How would it be if we were playing Halo instead?

Well and these are things we are supposed to be keeping in mind when we build pages. Regardless of the age of the visitor (or even the targeted age of the visitor) you will meet a wide range of abilities and familiarity.

And maybe someone like AnotherDesigner will feel “pressure” of being “too old for web design” because of only knowing young people using teh innerwebs etc? I suppose anyone feeling too old and crusty should seek out other crusties so as to find some peer-group consolation? Meaning, maybe older devs would feel better about being older devs if they know of other older devs? : )

If honestly, I always thought that there is only one major distinction between good and bad web designer. And let me assure you that it is not age. It is taste. Undoubtedly, a person above 50 still can be a man of taste.

One of my clients just told me her son had come to her and said, “Mom, I know a guy who will do your Website for $100!” We both laughed, but I’m sure there are plenty of people out there (mostly kids, I’m sure) who are doing this. Get a free template off the Internet, plug in a few things and a little text, and there you are.

But, we have all seen these unprofessional looking Sites out there, and we all know that there is a lot more involved in creating a really good, well structured, and well designed Website.

I’m still just scratching the surface, but I have learned what a vast amount of knowledge there is to be gained to really become a Web Designer.

I am fortunate. I have an art school backgound (though many years ago), and I worked for many years in electronics, so it’s not to hard for me to learn the “techy” stuff. So, I feel I’m ahead of the game, and especially ahead of the kid that says he’ll do it for $100!

One of the main reason I work so hard to build web businesses is because I want to free up myself from work so that I can work full time on being a web designer. I’m 45, I started at 39 still only doing css for fun…so much fun I hand coded ever last line of code on a very large e-commere website.

Maybe to old to start being a solo fighter? IMHO older man are wiser to be the project manager… might be… :confused:

50 is perfect to start being a web designer/developer. At that age, one has a different perspective on the idea of user needs, a better understanding of a demographic that is easily and often overlooked in favor of the younger and trendier groups, and as most good developers know, understanding your target audience is an huge factor.

Like susu2010, I am in my 40’s (42) though I started when I was 25. I’ve seen all parts of the business and now teach it at Art Institutes and UNLV. I know a lot of older web designers and they are all successful, particularly as freelancers. While some companies tend to hire (most frequently as in-house staff) young bucks, those seeking outsourced help often go to the older designers, ones who can react to the business scenario and have life experience as much as design and code capabilities.

No, at 50, you’re just fine. Good luck.

I think it really depends on your background. If you had any design related experience, you’re definitely far ahead of a lot of people. It’s only learning how to turn your design into a website, which in my opinion, is much easier than learning good design.

Of course it’s not too old, being 54 myself and having done this since 1994!

And for the young 'uns who speak of 60+ geezers…please do a little research and find out the ages of the “geezers” who started the computer, Internet, web, software, etc. industries … many are retired. Many are much over 60. And some are at least my age and named “Gates” or “Wozniak” or “Jobs”.