JavaScript Books Help

Glad to see that this thread is still useful for other people too! :smiley: Regarding the book JavaScript: The Definitive Guide - I’ve been waiting for the 6th Edition to be released for just over a year now on Amazon, they keep pushing the date back and back and back! I’m patient enough though to wait it out until it’s released, even if it is another year!

All the best to my fellow JavaScript beginners! :tup:

Andrew Cooper

Thank you for the helpful advice on JS definitive guide.

Well good news - David has just finished editing the 6th edition. It could be a while though before it gets through production & print though.
http://www.davidflanagan.com/2011/02/javascript-the.html

It seems that Javascript Patterns is a favourite for covering that subject.

In fact, Rey Bango’s blog post on What to Read to Get Up to Speed in JavaScript looks to be a very good resource, where he breaks them down in to Introductory, Intermediate and Advanced books.

Thanks for referencing my post, Paul. JS Patterns is a fantastic book. The great thing about it is that Stoyan reached out to a ton of VERY smart JS folks to tech review his book so you’re really getting well vetted content.

Rey

There is now a free ebook from O’Reilly called JavaScript Bibliography that provides summaries for many of the JavaScript books that are out there, and links to their online version of each book should you wish to read more of them.

So far as gaining full access to the Safari content, many local libraries provide free access (my local example), even over your local web connection. So if you need to, get in touch with your own local libraries to find out how they can help.

Thanks for that, Paul. (Gah, I hate it when you have to log in to download something free, though.)