Laptop isn't slow but computer is? Network

ipconfig /flushdns

My saving grace.

Is the wi-fi set to auto change channel depending on how busy a channel is? If it is try selecting a channel for it to use all the time

I have no idea what that means or howto check, sorry Space :slight_smile: .

You open your browser and reach open the routher via http protocol. Normally you do this by typing http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

If you want to be sure of the IP address, first check the local IP address you have. It will also tell you what the default gateway is. Your default gateway is your router

To do this check, click the start button, write “cmd” and enter. In the prompt screen write “ipconfig” That will give you the information and which address you need to type in your browser.

Once you’ve done that, the router home page will appear asking your for the passwrod and username

Type them (or call your ISP to get them) and you’ll be inside the configuration. This can be a bit scary. You do the wrong change, you will be with no internet and maybe with no access to the router, so careful.

The change you have to do is easy though. Go to the wireless section and see which channel you’re using. Try to change it to another one, at least 3 numbers lower or higher of the one you’re using.

1 Like

Yeah I’m renting a room from thsi random person from craigslist so I don’t want to possibly mess things up for this old lady :stuck_out_tongue: .

The flushdns worked and I don’t trust myself to do any more testing on this matter ;P.

Thanks anyway.

2 Likes

I notice my Internet isn’t quite as fast as it used to be now with that plug USB adapter…Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Not quite as fast as it used to be on my Internet.

Should I have just gotten a new network card?

Try to tinker around your wireless router configuration. Such as changing the channel or even changing the security. It is possible that usb adapter’s signal is less than you had before. There’s just too many variables to tell you what’s wrong with it. Sorry to say but try googling and hopefully there’s some tips that could help you. In my case, I’ve had to increase the ‘power’ setting and that gave wider range of wifi.

Thank you for the help!

buy a usb extension cable like 1 or 2 metre, plug the dongle into that and move it around until you find a place it gets better signal. The one corner of my room is a complete dead spot yet move 1 metre and it’s fine.

Could even try turning the router as it may put out more signal from one side or another.

I also have 2 routers with one plugged into the other so i get more coverage. You can then safely mess with your router and not affect the other if you want to try stuff.

I’m sorry but that’s not an option at this time :frowning: .

I’m thinking about saving up for a new computer - this ones been through the works…random crashes/BSODs throughout the day…

Unless you use it try disabling “windows media player network sharing service”. On both my computers I got quite a performance boost once that was disabled

Space, could you please advise me how to do that?

Wait, this is Google-able so I think I’ll do that instead…

Edit-Look at that - http://en.kioskea.net/faq/20641-windows-disable-windows-media-player-network-sharing

Preliminary but I’m seeing a big boost!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.