Moving on from Dreamweaver

If they have code hinting for all the languages DW has . The ability to preview at different resolutions and the integration DW has then i’ll quit in the blink of an eye . So far i’ve yet to see a superior product .

i can’t stand code folding… I always think I’m going to lose some part of it or something.

To late to agree but… yeah.

What don’t you like at code folding? I find it excellent… too bad very few editors have it. TextWrangler does though (while Coda doesn’t… yet).

Haha… I consider it a gift from the Skies… I finish a part of the document and I never have to see it again. :slight_smile:

I just quickly switched to Notepad2 after using Notepad for some time (in the first of two web design classes I took, we coded exclusively with Notepad). That’s pretty much it for Windows web dev. There’s nothing I need now from DW or Notepad++ that’s already there with Notepad2.

As a mostly PHP coder, I’m not sure how should I approach learning with .NET. What would be a good “my first asp.NET site”? The abstraction layers feel overkill for a website that just requires a contact form. And I’ve done a few with an MVC framework before.

Notepad 2 you say? Havenae heard of that one… Investigating… Let’s go down the list of stuff I want that have been deal breakers on other editors.

Turn off stupid toolbars? Check!

Block level tab control? Check!

Not tabbed? Check!

Handles common character encodings? Check!

Can change default font? Check!

Strip trailing spaces? Check!

Turn off acid trip syntax highlighting? Check!

Single File instance? Check!

Indentation guides? Check!

Tab width settings? Check! (defaults to 2, what I use anyways!)

Word-wrap to first line indentation? Check! (called “first subline”)

Visual indicators to show wrapping? Check! (one of the few things Crimson lacks!)

Longest line marker for 76 rule? Yup… (seems to default to 72 instead of 76? Eh, good enough… and not like it can’t be changed)
Convert leading spaces to tabs… Nope. WAIT, they call it “tabify” and “untabify” – so… Yup…

No deal breakers – WOW. You know, I may have a new favorite editor. Which it had right-click integration, but that’s easy enough to add in the registry. Though… I’m not seeing it, is there any way to make the line numbers not be red? That’s illegible and a eyesore… – edit – nm, found it.

In any case thanks, was unaware of this one, it’s fast, it’s small, and it does everything I need. Bye-bye Crimson Editor, was nice knowing you. Funny this is based on scintilla, given what a piece of Scite that one is… But you strip away all the crap we don’t want and hey, it’s pretty good.

i can’t stand code folding… I always think I’m going to lose some part of it or something.

ditto

Congrats crusty on finding a new love :slight_smile:

I’m still trying to decide if you’re trolling me or not.

Well, seeing as many of the worlds largest websites run ASP.NET that point is as good as dead. If anything, given the barrier to entry of languages you’re far more likely to see terrible PHP sites than ASP.NET sites.

Stack Overflow, PlentyOfFish, MySpace (recently), parts of eBay, Dell, most airport sites, the list goes on.

We’re quite lucky to be at a point in time where most frameworks and languages are so refined that it really doesn’t matter what you use to build a website.

A couple of red herrings there.

First, you say you know “enough” C and C# that you should know what that code represents, yet you couldn’t identify one of the simplest tools from .NET 3.0, the Lambda expression. For those who won’t know what this does, it takes in a set of parameters and checks to see if they’re all empty.

Secondly, you again mention C, which has little to nothing to do with C#.

I’m glad you brought this up, because it’s more often than not flat out wrong when compared to the likes of C++.

Theoretically, there is no reason why C# code should be slower than C++ code, yet for practical reasons code can be slower in certain situations. The reason why the likes of Java and C# are often as fast as C++ when doing typical tasks is because the JVM and the .NET framework are two of the most optimised and efficient bits of software in the world, and are the result of thousands of man years. Additionally, the JIT complication of IL is optimised for the system the runtime is on, whereas for C++ it is optimised for minimum requirements.

There are benchmarks out there that state that C# can outperform C++ on certain tasks like working with string collections, but I’ve never been a fan of any benchmarks as there are so many relevant factors not tested. I’d sooner listen to a SEO analyst talk about getting to the top of Google than listen to someone talk about benchmarks relating to their favourite tools.

Sure, C++ is better if you’re looking for strict control over your memory handling, but the crux of the matter is that for most obvious code (which 99.999% of development often is) will not receive any increase in speed or execution if swapped with C++. This SO question tells it far better than I possibly could, but I’ll leave this with one point; bytecode managed languages make programmers faster, and programmer time is worth far more than program time.

Hi, I think Dreamweaver is perfect for your needs. Yes, there is a lot of other software out there, but don’t expect magic. You’re the programmer, not the software. If you feel fine using Dreamweaver, just continue using it.

Well, nice to know I helped give DS60 a new tool to work with. It is pretty lean and non-intrusive. Can’t see why I can’t just have anything other than that to work with.

Uhm no… I was more confused by the “why is this even a function”… It’s not like C# treats functions like macros. Function call for one return operation in a non-scripted language where ‘visibility’ is a non-issue? that’s just bad code; as I said, a “far call for nothing”. You know what a far call is, right?

Do you open and close code blocks with curly brackets? do you use the ++, --, +=, -=, &&, || operators? Do you use () around function parameters and do double-quotes do parsing while single quotes do not? SOUNDS like C to me.

C# is just C that’s had a proper object model placed atop it and runs in bytecode interpreter that tries to JIT where it’s efficient to do so. That’s it. It is a C Syntax language.

C syntax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of C-based programming languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C# is C with some window dressing. PHP is C with sliding doors. PERL is C with a doggy in the window. Java is C with a porthole at sea. They are all derive from the same syntax, and apart from some minor structural differences on how objects are shoe-horned into them and some minor differences on variable handling, it’s almost ridiculous for them to be considered separate languages.

Which is one of the great ironies that the most needlessly cryptic and self-obfuscating languages that makes NO provisions to prevent mistakes and is harder to program than the low level code it’s supposed to make easier – became the template for so many others to emulate.

Well, C++ has it’s own set of problems, like objects being shoe-horned into it any old way and flushing anything resembling proper memory handling or range checking down the toilet. (yes, Modula-2 and Smalltalk guy talking)

Though really, not all compilers – or over-glorified interpreters are created equal.

Unless you count JIT compilation during runtime; Compilation takes a LOT of time – Java and .Net get around this by using a bytecode pre-compiler for distribution, but every time that JIT compiler kicks in you get a performance delay as the code hangs… INSIDE the JIT codesection (not all blocks can be JIT compiled and/or would take longer than to just interpret them – hence the ‘virtual CPU’ in both .Net and Java)… Once you run the compiled code optimized for the processor you can be as fast or faster (for the reasons you mentioned of being hardware specific optimizations) but you get anything that’s not a tight loop; That’s always been where JIT has been best is inside tight code loops… and even then it can’t compare to an optimized executable – but of course with most software distributed as binaries you’re very unlikely to come across anything compiled properly for your machine… Well, unless you’re one of those Gentoo nuts who spend more time compiling, recompiling and compiling again their OS and EVERY SINGLE application they run than they do on actual work.

The biggest hole in so called "virtual machines’ like Java and .Net comes when it’s time to talk to real hardware. Everything is isolated and thrice-wrapped with extra code… Read a keystroke; wait a lifetime… Read from disk… Wait so long it can at times make PHP look peppy depending on the operation… talk to the network… There’s a reason uTorrent and Transmission make Azureus look like a useless rinky broken toy. You’d think it was a over-glorified interpreter with JIT thrown on top where possible or something.

But of course, that’s why GWBasic from Dos 3.3 can actually be as fast as Java at many tasks.

… and GCC isn’t? :confused:

Uhm… no… see, there are these things called Compiler flags? Multi-target executables?

Tight loops – and it really hinges on WHICH C++ and which compiler flags are used. I mean, are you talking GCC (painfully slow compilation, more painful execution even with the right processor flags, but can target HOW MANY processors?!?), MS C++ (slow to COMPILE, fast execution), Embarcawhateverthedeviltheyrecalled C++ Builder (formerly Borland C++, blazingly fast compilation, middle of the road execution times; Fastest execution times if you go all the way back to Borland C++ 4.5 – but since that’s still mostly win16 developement)…

A lot of times people blame the language when it’s the compiler or interpreter that are the problem.

(though I still think C and Unix are a hoax)

Which I agree with – usually whoever’s running in favor of one compiler or the other uses some subtle trickery (like the wrong compiler flags) to make their pet toy look best. You want to make C++ look good, do some non-memory one-off operations. Want to make .NET or Java look good? Load a bunch of stuff into memory (not timing how long the load takes) and then perform some memory only operations with tight loops – while using the compiler flags on C++ to target a P3 ONLY instead of a multi-target executable with support for things like SSE.

It’s actually why a lot of x64 versions of software are performing better despite the increase in memory overhead. The earliest Clawhammer had SSE2 support – while many people compiling for 32 bit x86 are still ‘afraid’ to enable SSE2 because it wont run on a P3…

I don’t see why how the code runs should have an impact – or why we couldn’t have an actual C# compiler – It’s a great improvement upon C, it would be even better with the option for native executables OR open deployment.

… which is where the REAL advantages of .NET and Java are, deployment. Dependency hell, DLL hell, minor underying OS differences breaking executable compatibility or a stiff breeze hitting linus making him change the entire underlying hardware API – These are things Java and .Net devs rarely have to worry about.

I’m not sure where you’re getting this “C# is unrelated to C” nonsense from… unless you mean that it ripped off ‘uses’ clause from UCSD Pascal/Object Pascal… and calls it “using” instead. I think that might be what I like about C# actually, it’s Modula-2’s structure with C syntax. Almost reminds me of Eiffel.

This tutorial covers defining a site in Dreamweaver. You should not attempt to create your website until you define it. The reasons for this are:

You will most likely have problems with your navigation and images appearing if you don’t.

It is a good idea to have your site organized. If you do not think about your site structure before designing, you most likely will have a big mess of files and folders that will become cumbersome to manage. If you define your site prior to creating it, Dreamweaver handles the file structure beautifully.

You can use Dreamweaver’s built-in FTP to upload your website without a hitch.

Your links can be tracked and maintained easily.

When creating your website, you need to designate a root folder or another term is root directory. This is where all the files and folders of your website will be contained. Think of your root folder as the root folder on your web host. It is up to you how many directories you will need within your root folder. If your site is a small site, with only 5-10 pages, you may want to just have your web pages within your root folder without any sub directories, but if your site is larger, and especially if you expect it to grow over time, you might want to consider having each page in it’s own directory.
<snip />[URL=“http://www.essayprovider.com/argumentative-essays.aspx”]

I use Komodo Edit for HTML, Django Templates (HTML plus Django template tags) and Python.

It has auto-completion, syntax checking, some useful extensions, and you it is very similar to Komodo’s IDE. It has an HTML preview that will either use the file, or associate a file with a URL (useful for templates).

Thanks for confirming that Text Wrangler is about as basic as you can get. I spent the past week with Text Wrangler, my browsers and an FTP, and am getting a general idea of what DW was doing behind the scenes.

The thing that caught my eye was your mention of VirtualBox. I was thinking about using it for testing my local files live on the PC. I’ve used Browser Lab but it only gives you a snapshot. With VB it is it possible to install more than one version of IE? I guess the question is also, is it ever possible to have more than one version of a browser?

I’d also welcome any other general comments on Virtual Box. At this point the only thing I’d want to run on it would be browsers.

Thanks,
Laura

I use Virtual Box to run IE 6 on Linux for testing. It works very well.

Of course, because each Virtual Box VM needs a complete OS install, it uses a lot of disk space and memory, but that is OK if you are just using for testing.

Your mention of FTP brings up another plus of Komodo Edit. It can open files on a remote server over SFTP or FTP (I hope you are not using plain insecure FTP to a remote server). It is the only really seamless remote file editor I have used apart from the KDE ones which would be a nuisance to install on Mac or Windows (there are a lot of editors I have never used, so there are probably other good alternatives).

So would you need a separate VB for each version of a browser (say if I wanted to test on IE6, 7, and 8)? If this is so, can I run more than one VB at a time?

I use the Windows 7 Virtual XP mode to run IE6, IE7, IE8 and EI9 al standalone installs - works perfectly.

You need a VirtualBox VM for each OS install. You may or may not need multiple Windows installations to run multiple versions of IE - I think its the easiest way to do it.

I think what Stormrider is doing is just that, but using Virtual PC instead of Virtual Box.

You can run multiple Virtual Boxes at once, provided you have enough memory - but an extra GB or two of RAM is not that expensive if you find you need it.

I run a VB with WinXP for IE6, another VB with WinXP for IE7 (but also using Tredosoft Multiple IE for copies of 3-6 there too… you need the real native IE6 for Javascript, Flash and excellent IE6 testing, but little things like layouts can be sleazed through with Tredosoft if it’s minor), and I happen to have another whole machine for IE8.

So yes as others have said, you need multiple somethings with their own copy of the OS, and yes, with Virtual Box you can run a bunch of them at the same time if your computer can handle it. You can also set how much memory they get, so they don’t have to get too hefty if you don’t want.

It’s Perl, not PERL. I should slap you. :slight_smile: And it has a camel in the window.

Perl is indeed based somewhat on C… and sed, awk, and shell scripting… and then it steals from everything else, like Lisp and Haskell and also Ruby, Python, Perl 6 and everyone else.
…Except PHP. I don’t think they take anything from PHP.

…it’s almost ridiculous for them to be considered separate languages.

<----------------- Perl Java----------------------------->

Hm, they both use {}, () and English letters…

While we’re on the subject of VirtualBox, it’s also great for running local test or dev servers. I always build a linux install for them instead of trying to install XAMPP, LAMP, etc on my main OSes (that way I don’t have all those extra processes when I’m not working ;)).