New Rules for User Signatures: Please Read

yep good thing for us who wants to learn and share

Web devs consider the forceable opening of a new window a general evil (with a very few exceptions). It does not guarantee that the user “remains” on the site anyway, but can make them wonder what happened to their Back Button… instead, better to let users choose how they want to open a link. In browsers who support tabs (most of them in popular use, excluding IE6), users can choose to open a link as a new tab (and remain also on the page they were on), or choose to open a new window, or whatever.

Because the Back Button is one of the most-used buttons by users, you can rely on people knowing how to “get back” to the site they were on… and you’ve allowed the link to act “normally” (links take people to new places linearly) and do what people expect.

A BIG :tup: for raena on this one!

:Partier:

Regards,

DK

Probably I can not judge fairly because I have never been admin in a forum but all the issues and troubles on roules on sig. is quite not fully clear to me… looks like the only reason people joined in a forum is to have a sig.
Is really so important for the algo in SE? no idea.

I suppose that is nice to see someone else website if someone is really active and keep posting and helping.
If there are tons of regular post with sig. this sure will help an external website to get visits from the forum… because people in forum will note the post. It is this so wrong as the poster is a good contributor?

For this reason I repeat ok to a minimum post limit (number post or minimum time) ok to ban clearly spammers and trolls and also I will delete the inactive accounts.

The 90 days will not change a lot… people will join then just wait… better 100 post minimum… it must be quite mad do 100 post just to spam!

That’s right policy. Why not suspend those users who don’t participate in the community for long ?

If in one year no post ok… account suspended, eventually the possibility to re-activate it sending email asking.

How interesting! We even learn things on the policy posts on this site. Now I have something else to think about for my own forums.

The 90 days will not change a lot… people will join then just wait… better 100 post minimum… it must be quite mad do 100 post just to spam!

They have that too, unless they are swapping one for the other.

There are users who signed up in 2004 and check in about once a year, so I wouldn’t suspend old accounts unless that person can reactivate them somehow.

will see… it looks quite useless to me… but I’m never been an admin so…

been there, done that… It helped but it is not enough :smiley:

gr8 thumb rules.

If in one year no post ok… account suspended, eventually the possibility to re-activate it sending email asking.

Workable!

Apparently not.

From what I have heard there are people who opened an account and are constantly active using that account for access to the marketplace and who never make any posts to the forum at all.

Ok but in case of not one single login in 1 year???

I perfectly know what you mean… PHP script will mess up all over! deletion is impossible… it can be done with few posts only.
A suspension is the solution… also reversable, why not. But this is not the proposal to decide of now… what about sig?

100 post
100 days
never ???

can we make a pool?

Hmm. I don’t know about you guys and girls but I’m reading all these post replies about different ways of going about the same sticky situation - I don’t know how they (Moderators, Administrators, Staff, etc) went about it internally but clearly they’ve decided this method would be the best and they’ve just announced it.

If they wanted us to have a vote on different methods of how to control this signature and fluff post situation then I think they would have asked for our input before they took action.

I for one am happy that they went ahead and took action as soon as they possibly could. And if they did have discussions internally between the various staff then I also think that is the best way for such a policy as this one - The staff do a damn good job of keeping these forums in a good and healthy shape so I think we can be comfortable in the knowledge that they know what they’re doing and whatever they are doing is best for the forums.

:slight_smile:

Andrew Cooper

It’s really cool that you guys are interested enough in this problem that you’re all willing to put your ideas in! :slight_smile:

However, as AndrewCooper alluded to, this is something to be decided amongst the staff, rather than by the community. That’s not to say we’re not interested in lots of ideas – far from it! Ideas are great.

Sure raena…

Poll can be done then the staff in sitepoint will decide what is better to them… poll is just a tool for you to have a view from membes side :eye:

Excellent - if it helps to prevent the spammers coming here, then great.

But surely, after 90 days their sig will still show anyway ?

I still think my sig is the best :slight_smile:

Dez

They’d have to come back to the forum after the 90 days in order to add the sig since they can’t add it before that. At least some of the spammers will forget to come back at the end of the three months.