Percentage of people with CSS and/or JS disabled?

I’m on one, and Opera Mini lets me disable images, but not CSS.

But is this the CSS that bloats their sites? Or the fact that not many people minify their stylesheets, optimize their images, and even not minify JS and gzip?

True.

D, all of the above.

A lot of sites do nothing to speed up their sites, when there is a lot they can do. However, they should still make sure it works without JS.

Often it’s the stuff loaded BY the CSS – like presentational images instead of content images, or more recently web fonts… Where embedding three webfonts pushes a 120k website up into the half-megabyte+ range.

I’m waiting for Opera to introduce webfont blocking. You can do it through user CSS to not see them, but the files are still loaded by @font-face… Blocking @font-face could speed up page-loads on a lot of websites.

While I agree failing to run gzip is just stupid in this day and age – to me “minifying” and “white space stripping” is just half-assed idiocy used to obfuscate bloated/bad code. Maybe that’s just because I’m used to seeing it practiced by people with 20:1 code to content ratios, but I truly believe if you have to minify your code, there’s something WRONG with your code.

I minify my code and it’s not bloated. =(

I have my server do it automatically for me though to save all the space I can (I actually a some code that automatically uses the Google Closure API to minify it, then cache it on the server). I don’t get a huge savings, but every bit counts. The big perk is I can have comments in the code and not worry about them, because they’ll be removed from the code that is presented.

I’m waiting for Opera to introduce webfont blocking. You can do it through user CSS to not see them, but the files are still loaded by @font-face… Blocking @font-face could speed up page-loads on a lot of websites.

I’m enjoying this fruit today through the wonders that is NoScript plugin : )

Hello NoScript people, plz make a version for Opera kthx

No version of the noscript plugin is needed for Opera as that functionality is built into Opera itself.

Simply right click on the status bar and select “Customize” then “Appearance”. Then from the “Buttons” tab select “Preferences” and then drag the options you want to be able to easily enable and disable onto the status bar.

Dragging the “Enable JavaScript” checkbox there gives the same result as the corresponding JavaScript button in the Noscript extension for Firefox.

Which does NOT include blocking the CSS property @font-face! You know, the topic she was replying to?

Though I do find it interesting they’re now adding CSS parsing to noscript too… which I think speaks volumes about these new ‘features’ when someone is willing to take the time to make third party extensions to block them!

[ot]

Then from the “Buttons” tab select “Preferences” and then drag the options you want to be able to easily enable and disable onto the status bar.

Drag the options? I can get to that panel with f12 but it’s pure all JS on or all JS off. Firefox has the same worthlessness built in too, all on or off, and somewhere an actual WhiteList that I can edit if I feel like wasting time playing with my browser when I could be wasting it better on something like reddit.

Here’s my problem: if I go to, say, twitter, I only want to allow 3 of the 5 or 6 domains listed there. Right now the only way I’ve figured out to do that in Opera is to open the section under whitelisting and manually type each domain. Where do I get a list of domains who want to run scripts, and I can check them on/off and have that only last as long as Opera’s session?

I am too lazy to do that if I can get a “button” where, upon clicking, I get a list of each domain who wants to run scripts, and then I can choose to temporarily allow it (until end of browser session) or permanently (which I never, ever do… guess I’m not too lazy to allow the same three scripts on twitter every time I go there). Also clickjacking, iframes, and even WebGL can be blocked/unblocked. Even marquee tags get reduced in movement with NoScript (Oh pointy birds! has no marquee in my FF simply because I by default block scripts, even tho technically marquee isn’t a script).

Where in Opera can I see ALL the domains who want to run scripts? For every page I visit? And I don’t want to permanently whitelist them. And then I want to be able to easily toggle them, not move them over to some other panel or copy them.[/ot]

They’ve had it for a long time… for clickjacking among other things. Those are often nothing more than CSS tricks.

It also has dealing with #! urls built in as well… it will try to find a url that works if scripts are blocked, like google does.