Securing forms without CAPTCHA

This might provide a few ideas:

I’ve successfully used timers, i.e. I ensure the form is submitted back to the server after a reasonable period. Automated systems tend to submit far faster than a human could type.

Nice,but I don’t see that going far,you will be deterring many legitimate users,the whole Turing thing is okay but not necessarily “Who is the grand father of Hitlers’ cousin”

Some CAPTCHA are not that secure, many spambots can get into the site and moderators merely not noticing it. They should enhance it. :slight_smile:

<snip />[URL=“http://www.getcre8ive.com.ph/”]

I’ve backed off of blacklisting since spammers sometimes don’t use a domain name for more than a few days so it’s ultimately pointless.
<snip/>

As of yet, nobody’s replied to my current post. Guess I can see why now.

What is ninety thousand nine hundred and fourteen as a number?
What I plan on doing is coming up with variables inserted into a challenge question to make them fairly unique based on day (monday thru sunday) and month check (jan thru december). While this may seem common, by taking each of these through their own calculations for different days, months, monthdays and even yeardays – these combined to form a single statement may be unique enough when each variable is independently calculated before combining.

ex: -if today is Mon an it is and even monthday number and the current day falls between 12 and 13, and the yearday number is between 0 and 30, figure the day today falls on 1670 days ago (this by its own calculation), if the current day is between 13 and 14, and falls between 31 and 60 yeardays, figure 3267 days ahead, and so on (assessed). Then further arrive at the finished sentence by checking agains different set(s) of variables for days of week($aMon, $bMon, $cMon, etc), and monthdays (same concept) , which are equivalendt to their own written numbers:

This should take care of a change on a daily basis.

“What is ($day + $monthday) as a number?”

To make 5 min updates to sentence:
Could you not, then add the current timestamp digits alone taken to the minute (adding 5 minutes for completion time, base the number on this maximum, and then check <= to it) to make the total written sentence unique to within 5 minutes? (of course take the timestamp total through ranging variables depending on its total, to help conceal).

What is ($day + $monthday + $timestampresult) as a number?

By combining all three, I’m thinking, it makes it less likely to dissassemble.

A bit rough, but possibly close enough.

I don’t see any other post from you on this topic. Has it been deleted?

I agree with what’s already been said, namely that you will find there are lots of other people who will have trouble understanding this question:

“What is ninety thousand nine hundred and fourteen as a number?”

Even when I read that aloud now, it sounds confusing. Of course, I know what you mean, but I reckon there’ll be plenty of people who’ll go “huh?”

Relying on validations alone is the other post.

And now I’m back to debating if to randomly selecting whole preset questions OR assembling such a number as “nine thousand…” with numeric equivalents to check against.

I realize my last post was unnecessarily winded.

Your problem is that you assume robots are stupid (which they are) and that people aren’t (which isn’t true). A CAPTCHA isn’t supposed to separate the stupid from the less-stupid, but to separate humans from robots.

So long as there are robots smarter than us dumb people, you lose.

I note the CAPTCHA-tan image has the captcha text “herp derp” in her book. Yup, how I feel with every captcha.

I know you didn’t mean it like this, but I think it’s worth saying that the people who most get affected (the disabled) are not stupid. The problem isn’t just that robots are smarter than dumb people, it’s that the robots are becoming increasingly more “aware” (in terms of recognition) than what a less abled person is capable. :slight_smile:

Even without disabilities, I get hammered by many captchas. I just ain’t smart enuff.

lool :rofl::rofl:

Any easy way to reduce spam is to block countries it originates from as well.

The downside of that is you are also then blocking legitimate visitors in those countries.

Very true but sometimes it is a good idea to ask yourself how valuable those users are to your advertisers or customers.

yep, and if they are important to you then you should consider other options besides blocking countries. If they are of insignificant or zero importance, then you can block the countries.

There is JAWS software which automatically read and fills your CAPTCHA code.

There is JAWS software which automatically read and fills your CAPTCHA code.

What?? Where??

I’ve never gotten JAWS to read out and fill in any captchas… just WebVisum.