Student: Information Technology or Computer Science?

CS is the most recognised degree in the IT industry

What this really means is that HR person would know what “CS” degree is but not “IT”. When they filter out the resume, they just simply look for term like “CS”/“Java”. Yeah…it’s lil sad that HR is the people who filters your resume then hands out the “passed” resume to the group who’s hiring. By then, people w/ “IT” degree might’ve been already plucked out by the HR folks. Of course, in small size company you’ll have greater chance to be recognize compare to big company like Google.

This has been my experience at the age of 27:

1.) The strength of the degree depends entirely upon the school you attend and the instructors teaching the courses.

2.) Getting interviews is the easy part…

Back after I graduated in 2007 with an IT degree, I had been employed by my university as an intern. My responsibilities for the last 3 years of the internship consisted of providing IT work for local non-profits. As you can imagine, the work was a pain at times, but mostly because of the idiot clients we had to deal with.

In this internship, we were allowed to choose “specialties.” Mine boiled down to web design and development, and as such, I was usually charged with creating websites using some sort of “painted CMS.”

It was really fun! I learned a lot about servers, web standards, PHP programming, etc. It was one of the most memorable times of my life.

Fast-forward to graduation and it all comes apart. Based on the good words from a business instructor I had (in a systems analysis class) as well as some past co-interns that were already on-board, I found a way to get a job with a big time student loan company directly upon graduation day–I thought my life was laid out before me! I was going to finally have enough cash to get a ring for my girl, buy a house, get a new whip… Life was good.

I lasted a year at that **** hole.

The job itself was pure mainframe hell (i.e. - COBOL-2, JCL, disgruntled megalomaniac supervisors, manuals that weighed approximately 5 pounds, in-house training classes that were as effective as Bush was with increasing employment in the States, etc.–I’m talking NIGHTMARE) and what exactly made that employer believe I was a good fit is beyond me, especially keeping in mind that my background consisted of cross-browser compatibility and Photoshop CS:2. My old CS prof always had rhetoric about older COBOL developers going through a mass exodus of retirement. I guess the company I got the job with was panicking… Who knows?

Anyway, ever since that PTSD experience, I’ve had a rather inconvenient life and it’s pushed me back to school for a masters degree in something completely outside of both programming and IT (education). Don’t get me wrong, I still use what I learned with the PHP and web design from my IT program, even in many of my current classes, but unfortunately, it’s been my experience (as well as that of many of my classmates who majored in CS) that the school / program we all had did little to prep us for the big, bad “real world.” Even with that company I mentioned set aside, many of us were still lost in many things… Truly sad.

The biggest challenge people seem to have when going through school is determining what it is they wish to do and the horrifying irony is that many people hired to help these young adults seem to think that this is abnormal at the age of twenty-something… There’s no shame in it at all! People who blab about knowing what they wish to do at the age of 18 or even 27 (ha) are naive. If you think you do know what you want to do in this age range, then hey, more power to you. But keep in mind that it becomes more convincing when you have some instructor or supervisor staring at you as you admit your fondness of .NET crap. Just saying…

You just have to keep pushing forward and praying for the best possibility while keeping in mind that no matter what you studied in school, chances are you’ll start off doing something completely unrelated to your interests (assuming you even get a job in the same field even–of which, you can then consider yourself to be very lucky).

If you find something your passionate about, and it seems possible to get a job from it, then start working on it like crazy or else go to some school to learn more about it and go from there… Nobody in the real world gives a rat’s ass if you have a CS, IT, or IS imprint stamped on your sheepskin. It’s all about what you know how to do in the least amount of time because at the end of the day, that’s what brings a smile to that fat jack-off’s face who keeps wiping his ass with your paycheck each week.

Hello,

I’m from Florida. Wish to see the happenings here in the forum and get some information on pharmacy businesses in general and also providing the Difference b/w Computer Science and Information Tech.

I’ve worked in the pharmacy industries for a number of years now so I figure I can offer some useful advice here ‘n’ there!
Here is the main Differnce…

At the most basic level, Computer Science is a “Hard” Science, well grounded in what is now known in the field of Mathematics as Information Theory. Computer Science (as a field) is concerned with developing new ideas around the use and design of computing systems, and with the mathematical concepts of computation and information.

Information Technology, on the other hand, is a practical Engineering discipline, concerned with implementing solutions to practical problems using current-day technology.

Thank You

Regards
Cris Bob

IT are more general wherein your focus would be to grasp knowledge of all technologies.
In CS you have to be very well in some technology to boost your career.

Practically speaking, choosing CS you aim is to become a Programmer some day otherwise opt IT.

You know, I think cvmeds actually put the write tags on them:

CS is a “science” degree.
IT is an “engineering” degree.

Science looks for new uses and applications to solve problems…
Engineers apply technology at their disposal to solve problems…

Now you’ve opened Pandora’s Box.

Many people argue that Computer Science is a poor name for what CS actually is. If anything, CS is a branch of logic and the only real “science” with CS is Artificial Intelligence and Bioinformatics. The Science aspect usually comes from areas where science has been borrowed to build principles of CS.

In the same vein, people would rarely call IT, nor Software Engineering an engineering degree. For starters, there’s no real engineering, and students aren’t given an engineering education or background.

Both CS and IT can exist in either a Math, CS, Science or Engineering department, based on the universities discretion. However, most would say that CS isn’t a traditional science and that IT has nothing to do with Engineering. IT is first and foremost a vocational subject.

I meant science and engineering in very loose terms.

Science: a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws

Engineering: The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends

I agree that they’re aren’t “traditional” sciences or engineering, but they do fit the most general definitions. It’s a good way to sum them up in one sentence.

Trying to describe them is like trying to describe a taco. There are a million different variations of a taco, some of which are quite different from one other. The same with both CS and IT degrees. Their curricula and content greatly differs from school to school, unlike degrees like Math which is pretty consistent school to school (as far as content goes).

My 2c’s:

I studied Computing Science in the UK at one of the better Unis- it was an exceptional choice. 12 years later what I learned is still relevant because studying Comp Sci teaches you theory, principles, almost the philosophy of the subject vs. the latest and greatest technology that doesn’t even exist 12 years later.

To put that in perspective I studied C, C++, Haskell, Prolog, Assembly, etc whilst the more vocational universities studied VB. Where is VB now? It’s a living fossil that you might earn $50,000 from. Yet there are hundreds of C-based and functional languages and nearly all of them use similar notation or principles.

The second point I’ll make is that you have to be clear on WHY you are going to University. Is it to learn, or to get a job? Education is there to teach you something for life- not just your subject but how to study effectively, how to master something, how to get things done. If you want a job then there are online courses you can do. Choose a solid course.

Final tip- buy a copy of ‘Getting Things Done’ by David Allen and your life will be much easier! I wish someone had bought me that when I was studying.

Well I guess I have to agree with you on that. And I also can’t disagree to the fact that it is a sad thing to note that there are many employers who are so particular with “what they perceive as your level of knowledge” Anyways, thanks for your insights ULTiMATE.