To love Opera, or not to love Opera

Hummm. a beautiful looks than the last one. That increases the fun while interaction on the site as everyone wants to work in a nice environment.
A more clear view about the author and the people who replies to any post. A stylish notification icon, an awesome menu and so on…
i am member of various Forums but it is the best one. You get immediate responses by experts.They answer you till your problem gets solved, no matter which category it is.My first place to come for forums.
I am a beginner to programming and i must say i have learned alot on mistakes from this place.
A nice platform to ask and to help…
Best of luck and a superb work done by the team…
A STAR appreciation to internal team of Site Point. Hats Off to all…

2 Likes

I would say that the missing old rewind button is not good enough reason to not give Opera 24 a chance.

Opera 24 stands out for me for snappy speed and awesome rendering and I chose it after Firefox simply become unbearable and after I saw that Chrome rendering still sucks.

Things change. And the back button in Opera 24 does its own thing which is also a new kind of rewind. What can you do but embrace the change and move forward.

Interesting. I’d love to test this with my Opera 24. Can you point me an example page? About not wanting to upgrade. Opera 24 has a portable installation option which won’t affect your old Opera installation. You can have two different pieces of this awesome pie!

While I don’t use Opera 12 myself I am saddened that it is not supported along with some other browsers and systems. I also use a niche browser but am lucky enough that it has a modern rendering engine so no problems there. But I’ve already been bitten by the new Discourse software by not being able to use these forums on my mobile phone any more. Only a select few browsers are supported and the computer’s or device’s hardware also needs to be quite powerful not to experience slowness in operation.

This is against all the good web development practices that many sitepoint members believed in and expressed like accessibility, standards-compliance, progressive enhancement and making the site available to anyone regardless of their browser and system. Now all these values are thrown out the window and replaced by a trendy javascript application. A javascript app will always have more issues with cross-browser compatibility and while an html app has a high chance of working somehow even on very obscure browsers a js app may completely fail. And providing the same level of compatibility for a js app is a maintenance nightmare so I’m not really surprised by the devs’ reluctance to support anything but the most popular systems. Have you seen how these forums render in IE8? Nobody should expect all the fancy features to work there but who would expect to be blocked completely? How are these forums rendered by screen readers?

At this moment I have very mixed feelings about the new forums. While I begin to like some of the new features I nevertheless believe there are some fundamental issues with Discourse that will probably never be resolved because that is the nature of a js app. Now these web development forums have become a good example of how a web site should not be coded and what to avoid. If these forums used standard html with js to only add extra capabilities that now exist then there would probably be no problem with Opera 12 or mobile browsers - and if there were any they could be easily fixed by the devs.

I don’t want to sound too harsh since I am aware that the admins here did really a huge amount of work to launch the new forum and they did a very great job with the tools at hand. And I don’t want to judge their decision to use Discourse because this may well have been a choice between letting the community slowly die or move to Discourse. I just wanted to say it’s sad to see parts of the web implement technologies that do not favour accessibility. I believe Discourse should either add an html-mode for their software where most of the stuff work without js or it should not be adopted at all by public forums. Personally, I hope other forums I visit will not move to Discourse - not because of features but because of accessibility problems.

4 Likes

You would like to test the Blink bug?

Find a page with skip links. One example is http://humanrights.ca
This page has hidden skip links, so if you start tabbing through the page, you’ll find on the left side some links appear with “jump to the main content” or to the footer or to a basic HTML page.

If you choose for example to jump to the footer, visually your browser may move down to the footer, but your next tab should be one of the footer links.

Instead, in a broken browser your next tab will continue through the top of the page. This prevents the skip link from saving the keyboarder from the Thousand Tabs of Death.

original webkit bug here https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=17450

With the Blink bug: here’s the chromium version of the bug: (original https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=37721 which states it’s “fixed” but only for screen readers, new one https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=262171 still not fixed)

For the other things I don’t know if they are supported:

In my current Opera (12), after these steps:

1. Choose Opera > Preferences.
  2. Click Advanced.
  3. Select Shortcuts in the list of settings.
  4. Check the “Enable single-key shortcuts” checkbox.

…then I’m able to use the S key to move to the next heading (W to go back).

For spatial navigation, after I get my focus from the address bar into the page, holding down shift I can use the arrow keys to move my focus around (links only, form elements use Tab). This frees me from the source order, so if there’s a link I see that I want to click, but it’s the last column in the source order, I can just horizontally move over to it instead of needing to tab through all the focusabled on the page before it.

If you can do those two things, then all I need is Blink to fix the skip-link bug, and I’ll upgrade (which I can do manually).

About every third mouseclick I make when accessing the web is on the rewind button. Without that button I’d have to completely change the way I access the web to an alternative much slower.

There are many many other things that Opera 12 has that no other browser has as well - the rewind button is just the one I can’t work without. I would likely still not change to another browser even if it did implement the rewind button unless it also implemented at least some of the other functionality that I occasionally use in Opera 12.

The second most annoying is the open bookmark option where most of the other browsers will open all 10 or so bookmarks in the same tab on top of one another instead of in separate tabs.

Huh? In chrome, you simply right-click on the folder of bookmarks, and choose “Open all bookmarks” and they all open in individual tabs…

But I don’t want to open all - I just want to open some - perhaps 6 or 7 out of 500+

Middle click?

works but means clicking two different buttons to do the open rather than just clicking the same button twice as I am used to doing. As I said before it is the lack of a rewind button that is stopping me from changing browsers - things like having to swap mouse buttons EVERY TIME I want to open a bookmark is annoying but I’d probably eventually get used to it.

Yeah, I get that. I understand why the rewind button is important, so I’m not trying to convince you to move, just trying to give alternatives to the “other” items.

Another way to open bookmarks into new tabs:
Hold CTRL + Left Click (loads the bookmark in a background tab)
Hold CTRL + SHIFT + Left Click (load the bookmark in a new tab and gives that tab focus)

Got the notification indicator (finally)

Hmm… of the void space, it sits closer to the notification, however, I wouldn’t mind it sitting even closer to the notification bubble.

I am sure I will be able to live with the “other” items if I ever find a modern browser that supports rewind and doesn’t require dozens of extensions to add basic functionality the way Firefox does.

In my browser it is slightly further to the right. Your green line would be obscuring the 1. Also because it is at the extreme right of the screen the angle I normally view it from gives the illusion that it is even further to the right than it really is so that it appears to be associated with the search icon.

Opera 12 on Linux:

Seems the same as Chrome to me…

I’m going to play with the styles though a bit to see what can potentially be done. BTW, I completely dislike using Opera on this site. Using the composer window is a chore (so I’m going back to Chrome).

Oh, and as a FYI. Discourse Team gave the a-OK to trying to fix Opera 12’s issues, so I may spend time on that tonight. ping @HAWK

Perhaps it is because I only use half the screen for my browser so some of the elements get squashed together more than if I used the full screen.

I just noticed that the main part of the forum is giving me a horizontal scrollbar so the fixed part at the top is definitely narrower than whoever designed the layout intended for it to be.

Still seems the same to me…

How low does he go? :slight_smile:

FYI, can you apply the following style and let me know if it looks improved on your setup? @HAWK, @orodio, can we do this?

.d-header .icons .unread-notifications {
  right: 0px !important; /* !important likely isn't necessary */
  background-color: #62cefb;
}

much better - not that it really matters now that I know which icon it is supposed to be associated with.

It will matter for new users :wink:

1 Like