Web Design Business Dead?

I don’t know how someone in 2011 can offer web design services without providing database programming as well. No one is creating new sites in static HTML.

In this decade designers can make money in the templates for CMSes, like Joomla and WordPress. Make the template once, sell multiple times.

I’ve always struggled to get bid price on projects, but I find that the quality of my company’s work justifies prices, and although it’s a struggle, it’s possible to stay in business, even in a global market like Miami, where many, many people have direct connections with overseas companies providing parity services at 1/4 the price or less.

That was a run-on sentence.

That was an odd digression.

That was another one.

The best way to keep your business thriving is not to get “stuck” in a set of services. This is an ever-changing marketplace. Mobile apps have been dominant for the last few years, and mobile app developers have been making a killing, just as you once did with web. Mobile is now going the way of web, with overseas providers offering parity services at 1/8th the price.

Next!

The key to commanding high prices is to reinvent and stay ahead of the market. You should be looking at “what’s next” instead of trying to compete with “what’s hot”. Social integration / marketing services haven’t been played out to the fullest yet. I’m working on inventing some services in that sector. Web 3.0 services will be hot for a while (starting in a few years). SPARQL anyone?

Keep reading, researching, and inventing, because that’s the only way you can justify making a million+ per year, and if you never had to do that before, I say that peak year was a fluke and you got lucky, and should be thankful for it, and you should be very content with 6 figure profits. :slight_smile:

That was another run-on sentence.