What do you like/dislike about PHP?

I was thinking more of " Oh it WORKS fine " << After doing a lot of testing of course :slight_smile:

But I know what you mean, every project needs careful planning and thought.

CS - If the whole page is wrapped in a form tag vs just the log in part (for example) can cause issues

I’m interested in this.

What sort of issues RGuy ?

well this is totally off topic. Screen readers have a ‘forms mode’ which it can only really interact with form elements. google forms mode, then start up a thread in the accessibility forum.

ahh Ok, so it is about Screen Readers.

You’re Right sorry > totally off topic. :blush:

Do you mean that ASP.NET could break accessbility?

I like everything in php. There is nothing to dislike about in it.

It’s also just not right. A form is a form, a webpage is a webpage. It’s just not semantic damn it! :slight_smile:

That’s a very lovely attitude :slight_smile:

And what about JSP? I do not have a background about it, is it the same?

OK, will someone correct me if I’m talking nonsense here because I’m slightly outside my realm of experience. :shifty:

JSP and ASP are display technologies that let you mix code with static html to make a web page. JSP stands for Java server pages and was made by Sun to be used with Java. ASP stands for Active server pages and was made by Microsoft to be used with the .Net framework.

ASP and JSP are similar to PHP in that you can mix code with HTML in the same file.

The .Net framework is a framework that may or may not use ASP to compose webpages. Java programmers have lots of options, most notably Spring to use as a back end framework. Spring can use JSP to compose web pages, though you’re not limited to JSP. I once worked with a company that used XSLT with Spring for its websites.

The framework is responsible for doing things like fielding page requests from the internet, talking to the database and creating objects that can then be passed to the display tier to be rendered using JSP, ASP or something else.

You don’t really have this hard differential between framework and display tier in PHP as PHP can always be mixed with HTML if required. There are however some nice MVC (model view controller) PHP frameworks that can vastly simplify the process of creating large scale web applications, most notably for me codeigniter.

Hope this answers your question. :slight_smile:

I “used” to be a C# Developer but decided to move over to the PHP market and haven’t looked back since.

I love how PHP is simple to use, simple to setup.

I have recently been working on some more ASP.Net projects (where PHP isn’t suitable) and I hated how when using a Handler (ashx) to recieve some Ajax data, it was very difficult to handle multi-dimensional arrays (i.e. field[0][name]).

That said. I dislike the fact that ASP.Net has build in ACL functionality and PHP doesn’t. Dispite using C# for years, I have never actually delved into Memberships until last week.

It was absolutely amazing how quickly it was just to setup a membership system, that on PHP would have taken a good few hours (at best).

Whilst I like code completion etc, I love the simplicity of using a text editor to write sites.

You seem to be using ASP.NET/IIS in the website which is in your signature. Is this because you love PHP? :stuck_out_tongue:

TMLC is our company web site which is running on PHP, but hosted on a Windows Server. Prove My Talent is a site that was written by the company, in .Net.

Since joining the company, I have done about 30 sites, of which all but one was in PHP.

Thank you for your reply. Do you mean that clients with PHP are more than clients with ASP.NET? I mean in TMLC? :slight_smile:

ASP.Net has it’s place. Personally I think it’s overused, for what PHP can do, with less overhead.

We don’t use ASP.Net unless I personally think it’s justified. In which most cases, it isn’t.

Now you are one of some people who used both, can you give us your recommendation. If you are going to build a site which will grow in the future to be something like let’s say like Facebook, then which language will you recommened us to stick with?

It’s hard to decide between the both, but I always choose PHP over ASP.Net now.

The majority of PHP is open source and has the ability to change it, like Facebook have to achieve their standards today. They have made changes to PHP, MemCache and a number of other things.

Other than “looking professional”, ASP.Net forms no real function over PHP. It’s simply a framework like CodeIgniter is. The problem with ASP.Net though, is you have no real choice which Framework to use, it’s just “the framework”.

Where as PHP simply exposes functions in which Frameworks then use to create a package, that we all know as Zend, CodeIgniter etc.

Then of course, PHP has the problem that it’s compiled on runtime. ASP.net has this ability but most of the time, you’ll find that the site is pre-compiled prior to being published.

This would speed up the load time, as it would only be loading the compiled version of the site.

I wouldn’t even want to try and argue the for’s and against of PHP and ASP.net. They both have their places, some developers prefere PHP over ASP.Net (like me) and others prefere the latter.

so when it comes to load time, asp.net wins?

Not always, it’d depend on what your doing, what your running it on etc. In a Facebook world, I think it wouldn’t have been able to cope on ASP.Net/IIS.