What is the the legal title of someone who owns an LLC?

I’m glad we can all agree on one thing. We aren’t lawyers. :slight_smile:

Indeed, IANAL. :wink: Though I wish I knew (personally) a good corporate lawyer who could give me a definitive answer on this without charging me. I’m not about to pay a lawyer to answer a question out of simple curiousity, but the issue has piqued my interest.

If you are the owner (manager? haha) of an LLC, though, the best advice anyone here can probably give you is to consult a lawyer about what to call yourself and how to file with your state to give yourself another title if such a thing is allowed.

Why would someone sign as something they are not in the first place? If the LLC has appointed you the officer position of CEO, they yes you can be damn sure you are allowed to sign something as the CEO of the company.

LLC’s are allowed to appoint officers just like corporations are allowed to elect officers. The only major difference I think is that corporations must have certain officers and must hold elections, whereas, LLC’s are not required to have officers [but that doesn’t mean they are not allowed to have them]. And also documenting who the officers are and changes in officers would be different too I think, since with an LLC, the appointment of officers would be part of the operating agreement among the members and if changed or added, it would be an amendment to the agreement. I don’t think you’d file anything with the state, which you might need to do with an S or C Corp, but on this I can’t be sure since I haven’t bothered to learn alot about S & C Corp rules since they don’t effect me.

You know for someone tossing around references from the LLC Operating Manual from Nolo, it sure does not seem like you made it past the 2nd chapter.

This thread is not useful anymore. You’re all just bickering.

Dan, I think the best answer is: the answer is really too tricky for anyone here to give concretely. It is probably possible to file an LLC operating agreement with your state that lays out titles for your members, but it is best to check with an attorney.

I don’t think such law exists

That’s not true. Unless it is disallowed, it’s allowed.

You don’t file an operating agreement with the state. Most states don’t even require that LLC’s have an operating agreement. You file your articles of organization with the state, but the operating agreement is a private agreement between the members of the LLC that deals with the business of the LLC and rights & responsibilities of the members. You can also override certain things in the state’s LLC Act in the operating agreement, such as life span and management rights.

It may be easier to think of it being similar to a partnership agreement.

Thread Closed

I am shocked at all of your attitudes if we didn’t have a “legal” area on the forum I would consider banning ALL legal advice unless you were a qualified lawyer

Please NOTE that you should always consult your lawyer (or even accoutant) when talking this through to avoid further ramifications - as saying “gosh I didn’t know that no one told me” is NO defense in a court of law - anywhere.

Please check your PM’s for more details on why thread has been closed

Sarah