What is the worst mistake you've ever made at work?

We have an “idea box” on the floor.
I always tend to drop the most silly ideas in the box, anonymously, of course.
Few months ago, the idea was to dress up at work, for example at halloween, and be dressed up like a monster or something at your desk. It was just for fun.
Last week, I heard my bosses talk about this idea, they took this serious, and they’re going to start it up and mail the whole plan to our team.
… Funny fact is… I planned my holidays that week, so I won’t be there that time :slight_smile:

Yeap. Certainly won’t be letting that one happen again.

My mistake is i forget to save my file after completed :frowning: and i have done this so many times and then my boss attitude at me ah…! :slight_smile:

I guess I’m thankful that I don’t remember any dumb mistakes I made at work. I’m sure I did but nothing really stands out or I just unconsciously deny all my mistakes.

This isn’t computer related, but I once worked as a scheduler for a paint manufacturer and I scheduled a clearcoat to be made in this 10,000 gallon vessel. So I went home and when I walked into the office the next day, everyone was giving me the look like I was a dead man walking. Needless to say the plant manager and the floor manager were in the office, before I could even sit down the plant manager said “So you scheduled a clearcoat to be made last night?”. I said “Yeah…and I take it something happen?” “Sure did, the batchmaker made the batch on top of a batch that was already in there and it created kind of mess. An to top it off it was a different clearcoat that was in the tank.” Needless to say I thought to myself that I better dust-off my resume, but they stated that the batchmaker should had looked to see if the tank was empty before he started to make the new batch. It gets better, the only reason I scheduled the batch was because my boss was on vacation that week and that very same week he came back from vacation, he did the same exact thing that I did. From that day on the tank was locked (it was an enclosed tank with a porthole on the top in case anyone is wondering how this could happen in th first place and the controls were locked prevented any new material from being pumped in) if there was a batch already in it and the only way a new batch could be made was a supervisor actually unlocking it. :smiley: An they also got smart and actually put temporary labels on the tank with the product and batch number.:rolleyes:

Back in my mainframing days, I had a different developer who had a lot of seniority and pull in my group. We had an if statement that we printed out in 10pt type, and hung it up on a six foot high cubicle. The single if statement went from the top of the cube to the floor then back to the top, rinse and repeat FOUR MORE TIMES. That’s 36 feet of ONE if statement.

I had to make a change within the if statement and expressed concerns with having to modify it, and suggested retooling it to simplify it as much as possible, but was told there was no time nor budget to redo it (thanks to the other developer). I had to go ahead and modify it. On testing, we noticed a couple anomolies in our test cases, but didn’t think it was important. Needless to say, we went live and within a day, we discovered that if statement change caused us to over pay claims to the customer in the excess of ONE MILLION DOLLARS! :eek: In ONE DAY! It ended up being a missing end if (gotta love COBOL)

Needless to say, I got called to the carpet, but was able to get out of it because I had warned them ahead of time that I didn’t feel comfortable to deal with that statement, but was overridden. That senior developer was then blessed to have to make ALL changes to that statement from that point forward…he wasn’t too happy.

Yikes. That’s insane!

Got my folder names mixed up when cleaning out my computer, and I ended up deleting my website files…

Excel sheet did not auto save for some reason. Worked all day on it, computer froze…

having sex with my boss

While blogging i often don’t add alternate text in my blog’s images…

I would say that’s a mistake, yes :lol:

:lol:

Did you get fired afterward?

I’d say that you’re doing ok if that’s the worst mistake that you’ve ever made!

I don’t know which one was the worst mistake I’ve done but I did something kind of “terrible” just a few months ago.

I was teaching an advanced express course in a company and, except from one or two in the group, the class simply didn’t have enough knowledge of the basics to take this course, so they constantly kept on asking me to go slower, to do more exercises, etc. Which I tried to do as much as possible but I still needed to comply with the list of topics they wanted.
So I talked to the coordinator and told her that this course was a disaster and that we needed to change this list because simply put, these guys didn’t have any basics to take this course.
She agreed and the next day I talked to the class, informing them of the change of plan…

Oh My! People went bersek! They started to say that they didn’t want to change the level, that they wanted to go on with the planned schedule and so on

The two people that screamed the most and complained even more were the two that showed less knowledge (one) and less interest (the other) of all of them!

So when one of them started to tell me why made me think that they couldn’t cope with the course, I was so shocked by the surprise that I couldn’t help myself and said “but you can’t even start the program by yourself!” (very unprofessional, I know. Normally I bite my tongue but in this case, she did take me completely by surprise and out of balace)

And if things were going wild before, well, then they started to go completely insane.

Of course, I had to talk with a bunch of people and explain my actions after that.

I’ve been teaching for so many years and I know that people have a hard time to recognize their own limits. But never in my life I’ve seen a whole group so delusional and in such a complete agreement to lie to their bosses about what they know and what they don’t.

I know what you mean @molona ;
Most of the people I teach are eager to learn, but occasionally I do run into people (usually managers) who want to pay me to drink coffee and tell them that their English is good, whilst continually making the same mistakes over and over.
I learned to live with it :slight_smile:

:lol:

As I said, what really impressed me and surprised me was the fact that 22 people were in complete unison to lie to their bosses about their capabilities (in terms of this particular topic, of course). I should have said that they were complete delusional to themselves too. All of them. Amazing.

And it wasn’t like their job depended on this course, or it was at risk or anything. This course was completely optional and voluntary.

i was doing seo on high pr forum posting sites and next day i saw all my links are lost and keywords are missing at google. one must imagine it and see what problem i was facing.

The worst mistake is probably when I worked in a supermarket years ago and was in charge of ordering milk and other diary. You have to order the milk per carton, but they arrive in trolleys. About 120 cartons to a trolley if I recall correctly. So one day I was ordering and not really paying attention. I wanted to order 5 trolleys, so I just entered 5. So the next day we got 5 cartons of milk, instead of the 600 I thought I ordered…
Luckily we had a lot extra in stock (because my boss was extremely bad at ordering and always ordered waaaay to much milk) and didn’t run out, but I did feel really bad!

Sounds like you did them a favor. :smiley: