What's the good word?

Finally! … a word that encapsulates everything I do. :smiley:

There should be an option to like the posts as well. :smiley:

Stay tuned. :shifty: :stir:

Alright i have one for today Acclumsid it means clumsy, numbed or paralyzed.

Woah. Does that mean sitepoint will become a little more like facebook soon? lol

Here’s another : conundrum. Its a mystery to me what it means!
Just kidding…

(It means mystery, enigma, problem or puzzle.)

My good word is fanfaronade which means empty boasting. I love using this word, It makes me kind of genius or something. :slight_smile:

You all have obviously never listened to any Charlie Parker (or bebop and post-bop) recordings. :slight_smile:

I love ‘nefarious’ :slight_smile:

Sure there is. When you sleep in a house of cats, and the hair gets into your throat while you sleep… when you’re hacking it out in the morning, that’s the sound of the Dutch “g”. Getting a hair out of your throat.

I like using the word thespian because seemingly no matter how commonly it’s used, there are still enough people who dunno what it means to have a lot of fun with it (for those who still don’t: actor).

I remember once being told the longest word in the English language was the medical name for “black lung”, however I always doubted that being countable as an “English” word.
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
(tho most ppl say just pnuemoconiosis)

Rubbernecking, to look around awkwardly. Like when your in traffic cuz everyone is rubbernecking at the crash on the side of the road.:slight_smile:

The fact that this word this word appears in Oxford and English Webster dictionaries is enough proof it is English. Although I doubt if the person or medical scientist who created this word is American or English.

A recent favorite is “abditory”, a place for hiding things. I’ve been using it to refer to my reading room, since it’s something of a hiding place for me.

sesquipedalian

You need to tell us what it means.

it’s a polite way of saying a cripple – a person with one and a half feet

:smiley:

:lol:

Or old people, with one and a half feet in the grave. :x

Seriously, though, I understand it to mean, in essence, ‘polysyllabic’—leading to the sense of ‘long-winded’ when applied to writings that are full of long words or overly long and dense.

The more language we know, the tendancy of mixing 2 languages and form 1 word is very common at my place. For the example: not-che-able. This is actually the combination of a dialect with an English word that bring the meaning, non-negotiable.

What’s the good word? A contest taken from this thread (ripped from the headlines? :teleport:)

We are going to temporarily close this thread until the contest is finished. Thanks to all the contributors! Now use these good words to enter the contest!

Our contest is over and we have posted the winners! This thread now open for more good words!