Where to get free images?

on this page if there is anything

I think istock is a best place for search image.

You can use the free clipart that comes with microsoft word.

Searching Google images has a high % of free images. Although some of the stock images are quite cheap.

you can good free images from Google, yahoo or bing…surf a lot and pic some interesting ones…if you Photoshop try to do modifications or use Photobucket you can change themes and redesign those images for their uniqueness

The question was

How and where do I get free images that I can use for my website? (My italics)
There are plenty of images out there, but just because you can find them at no cost using Google, Bing or any other search engine does not mean that you can use them on your own site. Most of these pictures are copyright, or have restrictions on their use. You wouldn’t copy somebody else’s site (I hope) - so why would you think it’s OK to copy their pictures?

I think that that should be read as:

DON’T COPY OTHER PEOPLE’S STUFF BECAUSE IT IS UNETHICAL, ILLEGAL, AND PLAIN IRRESPONSIBLE.
Those are my formatting edits, if you didn’t catch that.

I recently heard a discussion about that on this episode of Sitepoint’s Podcast. (If you search for “don’t think”, it’s the fourth result down the page, if you want to find the text I’m citing). The context behind the story is that one company copied direct code and images from 37signals. The panel team started discussing it and Patrick O’Keefe mentioned that people don’t think that it’s wrong. It is very wrong and should not be done. I think we should all have respect for fellow people’s intellectual property, no matter what field we’re in.

~TehYoyo

Edit:

Don’t you need a commercial license for MS Word?

I suggest you try free vectors. They collect all vector graphics on-line and you can download for free.

Yes, you can download them free of charge. Can you use them on your website, which is the point of the original question? Not without permission of the copyright holder.

I work on a site with a few of my buddies just search for fotogrph in google, everything is licensed under the creative commons attribution. A couple of other sites I would recommend would be ImageBase, morguefile, unprofound.

Nothing works the same as using your own camera instead of using other people’s work.

Agreed, but some people do not have the luxury of owning their own camera. So for them sites like these are perfect.

you can visit webshots.com.
Here basic Membership is still Free and once when you become a member then you get permission to download the pics that you have requirements. webshots.com have a collection of over a million pics, covering a very exhaustive range of subjects.