Which programming language "pays" better?

[ot]
I actually see XSLT used quite a lot for certain banking transactions (bank to Central Bank) and, of course,in the publishing industry. But this second is kind of normal. XML is a simplyfied from of SGML which has always been used in that industry. SGML is still widely used there but for certain task XML (and XSLT) is preferred because is simpler[/ot]

Only reason I said “dead” is because it is a piece that I bury, dig back up, and then bury it again when I’m done. I rarely use it anymore. It used to be absolutely necessary in my day to day interactions and has since become unneeded. Might not be true for all jobs though, but in relation to what I do, it is.

That is correct.

Surprisingly, SSIS and SSRS can involve a lot of programming. SSAS could too, but the idea behind that is to NOT go that route, as you are wanting to provide a front end to your business so they can get the datasets they want and not need you to alter your code.

I’d arrange my list as

1. C++/ASM
  2. Java / C#
  3. SQL
  4. Ruby on Rails / Python
  5. Delphi

I don’t think Delphi is growing much anymore and Ruby and Python are growing like crazy.

@cpradio; [ot]I have to use Microsoft Reporting services and Crystal Report and it does involve some programming. But my position is technical support technitian! lol

The only reason I put Delphi on te 3rd place was because they’re hard to find and they’re normally called to solve ugly issues in legacy software which very often is still important for the company. And hence the high salary ;)[/ot]

Wow ! I am impressed with your hq reply. Hq Member !

1. So, you said that Java is on the top of the list of highest paid languages?

Well, i have the incorrect sensation that Java, doesn’t provide you many abilities.

1. Yes, SQL is not a programming language.

Oracle is a Database such as SQL ? If yes, which database gives you more abilities and is better between SQL-Oracle? Oracle is used from big companies? or not ?

1. What’s the meaning of “SAP” ?
    I googled it but not too much information. IS SAP a programming language?

2. About Php and Ruby:
    Of course, there are too much people, called as " Php Developers ". However, the skilled Php Developer, has nothing to fear. :slight_smile:
    So, in which position would you put Php?

A Off-topic question.
Which has more advantages/ benefits? Php or Ruby? What do you believe?

1. About ASM:
    Of course, it’s nice to know ASM. I am not talking about the “Basics”. A developer, who is experienced with ASM, may be " recherche " from the Companies?

2. About Delphi :
    Same question as ASM-question . There are not too many “experts” in Delphi. However, i do not knwo if there are Companies who interest about a programer who knows Delphi.

3. About Python :
    You said : “I don’t know any big company that uses it but it’s growing.”
    Is Python a programming language, who someone undoubtedly should know for having a great programming career ? I am not sure about that. But, i am glad to hear your opinion.

4. About C++ :
    You said " Still used a lot in certain fields " . Could you explain that more please?
    Do big companies ask for developerts with some experience or good experience in C++ language?

5. Which 5 programming languages would you undoubtedly recommend for having a good carrer ?

Please forgive me if my reply is huge, but i wanted to be more understandable to you. Also, forgive me, if i made any silly question, but your opinion is very important for me.

Thank you a lot!
TomJac.

If you’re just going to disagree with everyone, what is the point in this thread? You’re not going to take much value away from anything if you just dismiss everyone and keep ahead with your idea of what you think they should have said.

Actually yes you could have said it better since “Salary” and “Pay” is the same thing. What you said makes absolutely no sense, that’s why I pointed it out.

You could have asked this question:

What is the best shade of blue? Not light blue or navy blue, I want the best shades of blue.

The problem with your question is it’s nearly impossible to answer because it’s far too geographically dependent. What’s used in California isn’t what’s used here in PA, much less what’s used in other portions of the world. And there’s the timeliness factor. Where 20 years ago it was COBOL, CICS, and C that were hot here in PA, ten years ago it was C++, VB and asp, with Java up and coming, now it’s C# then Java with PHP making inroads. But the skill sets needed would be totally different say in California where Ruby and PHP and other open source technologies are the hot commodities.I think you’re better off learning more fundamental skills which allow you to learn languages quickly (a language is simply a matter of syntax). I’d make sure you have a good grasp of Object Oriented Programming, Database Structures and SQL and Client/Server concepts.So for the short run, look into the languages which are hiring in your area, and concentrate on getting those down, but make sure you get those other concepts under your belt. Once you’ve done that, start looking at other languages to expand your knowledge to, and possibly find some open source packages that you can look at to contribute to in order to give yourself marketable experience (it’s how I got my asp experience). The more languages you can work in, the more marketable you can be.[ot] For the record, in my career I’ve used the following: COBOL (many versions), Assembly, PL1, CICS, C, C++, VB, Java, C#, VB.Net, PHP, and many different scripting languages which were specific to the environment and operating sytems in place. Add into that I’ve done enough DB building/administration that I could easily be a DBA (though I’d probably commit some sort of violent act while doing so), and I think I have a good insight into the changes that occur over a career)[/ot]

I never disaggred with someone. Neither with everyone as you said. You may did not unerstand well. You should understand the difference between constructive discussion sir. All opinions are important for me. And i read all of them very carefully.

Thank you !

+1

@TomJac ; It seems you either are not willing to do your own research or bother reading our replies in their entirety. This is getting frustrating to say the least. Oracle isn’t just a database, it is a company, which is the likely context of its prior reference – it has a whole suite of products used by big Fortune 500 companies.

First of all, what are the questions for? What do you plan to do with our answers? Why must we keep answering the same question time and time again? Now rank these, now how about this one? Oohh, look here is another one. You seem to not have an actual grasp of what you want to achieve here.

Personally, as a person who has been through several interview processes, and has interviewed individuals, I don’t care what programming languages you know. That doesn’t mean a single thing to me, as any developer who is worth a dime can and will pick up a new language quickly. All languages have the same underlying process that is needed. You need to be able to think logically, you need to be able to think ahead, you need to have good time management, communication, and the ability to read requirements and determine what that equates to in your programming logic.

In my opinion, your focus is entirely wrong.

1 Like

I never disaggred with someone sir.

I always make research on Google but as you saw, i found information which is not based in reality(ActionScript & XSLT ). Of course, i read your answers. How did you understand that i don’t do that sir?

You indeed helped me and you always do that.

Of course, i said that my first question may be incorrect, but every respond for people is acceptable for me. I like to have a constructive discussion.

Also, the factors which you said, are very important.

Do not be impressed. I don’t work ofr Sitepoint. I’m a forum staff. All forum staff are voluntary and have their jobs, business and interests :slight_smile:

SQL is not a database. SQL is the language that allows me to query the database, that is to see the data that is inside or to insert more information in the database. In the corporate world, Oracle is as databases as Microsoft is to Operative Systems

SAP is not a programming language, it is a company and the software built by them (http://www.sap.com) which is used in many corporation because it integrates everything in one product: customer support, invoicing, marketing, complaints… everything can be controled by the software. SAP can be personalized and to do so it uses all kind of technologies, mainly in the web form like java (yes, it can be used for the web too), HTML, CSS, JavaScript…

Each progamming language is created with a purpose and each of them have its ups and down. In terms of salary, Ruby programmers tend to earn more because there are not as many as php developers and therefore they are harder to find than a php developer.

Still, I agree. A good programmer should never fear :slight_smile:

As I said, it depends on the job

I would assume that a company that needs this type of programmer would a hardware builder or similar. I don’t know the answer to this. A good ASM programmer is, defintalely, hard to find.

I only known two companies that needed some service for a Delphi programmer in 15 years. They will not keep a programmer like that in the staff, it would be very expensive. They would hire him for days, weeks or months necessary to do the changes they needed. And they would pay loads for that. The problem with Delphi is that is old and, as far as I know, not in fashion. It is just not used anymore. And the companies that didn’t ditch it, it is because they haven’t found anything similar for their needs or because migrating to something else didn’t work.

Many think like this would there’s no way to tell. It is a nice language to learn, that’s for sure.

I do know quite a few that need a C++. Although there are many more that ask for Java developers, C++ is still used. In Operative Systems, as an example.

ÂżThat depends on the kind of programmer you want to be. Desktop programming? Web programming? Game programming?

There is no silly question, just silly answers :wink:

Here’s a cool link

http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=java&l1=&q2=php&l2=&q3=c%23&l3=&q4=ruby+on+rails&l4=&q5=angularjs&l5=&q6=hadoop&l6=

enter in the skills and it tells you the salary. I’m a Java developer and I get paid far beyond $100k. So, I certainly can tell you that it’s among the highest paid skill. With that being said, some of of languages are picking up… Especially, Javascript programmer who knows popular frameowork like BootStrap, AngularJS, ExtJS, and nodeJS. Another very popular technology is ‘Hadoop’ framework in Java.

For me, I have no language I like nor dislike. To me, it’s just another ‘if/then/else’ that is in either OOP or Scripted Language. I can pickup a new language within the week (given a good documentation or book). The things I dislike or like is with ‘Frameworks’ and not the language. I say ‘Java’ is a good but in actuality, no one is going to ask ‘Do you know Java?’ during the interview. They’ll ask like

• Have you written RESTful Services?
  • How do you secure your web applications?
  • What frameworks have you used?
  • How do you test your code?
  • How comfortable are you with Spring Framework and Sub-projects?

Knowing Java is like knowing 'ABC’s song. Simply learning a ‘language’ does not gurantee you to be on a same tier as another programmer who use the same language.

1 Like

Languages I know: VBScript, Java, PHP, Ruby, C#, Javascript, more that I don’t remember.

Of all these, Javascript has paid me the most handsomely by far (like twice as much as all the other languages I’ve worked with). However, that had almost nothing to do with language choice and everything to do with location (bay area) and specialization.

@vgarcia

After big research, i can’t disagree with you sir.

However, I think Javascript is one of the most difficult languages. Do you believe this ?

I agree to this…php definitely is in demand and that makes it so very available at low cost. Custom work, if you really love practicing custom application development, Java and C# are the best ones. Although if you give quality in your work and there is client satisfaction, any language can pay you good.