Why do you not use Opera?

That’s what I meant I was doing when I said a per-site basis, but only in reference to javascript, since the popup requester takes care of cookie settings.

that’s a good question
opera doesn’t get much attention from everyone
I downloaded it just for the sake of testing sites on it
I’ll try using it sometime

what do you guys think of opera overall in comparison to Mozilla FF?

Comparing Opera and Firefox (in that order) is like comparing an 8 pound Oreck vaccum cleaner to a broom and dustpan.

I’m assuming an oreck vacuum cleaner is good

in what ways is opera better than firefox?

Hey that’s interesting, the thing about Opera Mac - I use it for mac, and the green button maximizes like I want, whereas almost every other Mac application does that stupid thing where it only expands on one direction.

To me, Opera’s variation is good, and most other apps are annoying :slight_smile:

I’m digging on Opera 9.2 these days. I like it a lot for the reasons already stated in this thread. (AND the speed dial :))

No browser has ever swayed me for long against the evil IE. But I’m not crazy about version 7 - so I find myself in Opera more and more.

Firefox never did much for me. I use it only for testing and occasionally for the WD plugin.

I use FF for web development but the other day Opera showed a positioning error I made that didn’t show up in FF, IE or Safari.

Q: Why do you not use Opera
A: My clients do not use Opera

The reason I don’t (presently) is that I invested a lot of time learning how to use/extend firefox.
Im very busy, I never found the time to check it out.

However, after reading the “10mb v 100mb” post (im not taking it literally) but that alone is motivating me to check out opera right now…

This winXPro install is fading fast into the “I’m almost a year old & I’m already going senile” portion of the os lifespan. As a result of many external factors… Firefox is just getting slower and slower and crashes a lot when handling pdf / any decent sized files.

I really need to optimize my pc, maybe this is another step in the right direction.

Because I can compile FF the way I want it to behave on my linux box.

I primarily use Firefox on a customized SlipStreamed Windows XP SP2 OS.

Why?
Even when I’m browsing the web and not working, I will very often use the Web Developer Toolbar, Firebug, and other developer-type toolbars out of sheer curiosity and/or learning. The vast amount of user submitted and maintained extensions in comparison to Opera’s keeps me from switching.

Other reasons (not as pertinent):

• I can also do just as brothercake mentioned with the quick-search customization options (g google, d dictionary.com, etc…) under about:config, albeit Opera did have it first, even though I used a registry fix for IE when IE was my primary browser.
  • It’s more standards compliant than IE, and forces me to develop with much better compliance (especially with the HTML Validator extension)
  • Except for IE, it’s the most popular browser of my primary website that I develop for and would be good to know what our visitor’s see
  • I don’t want BitTorrent, an email system, a downloader, and all the other things already built-in to Opera. If I wanted them, I’d download them individually (ala plugin/extension) – I like the personalization/customization of Firefox, whereas Opera forces it on you (unless you download the lite version, but then lose those options altogether)

Although Firefox isn’t quite as “light” of an install as it used to be, I simply prefer its interface and initial lack of features that I can then extend and customize in a way that’s my own. Kudos to Opera for hanging in there all these years even while having a rather small market share, and yet having the most standards compliant browser out there.

Have you heard of an application called Tubes. Go to www.tubesnow and check it out…

1. Keychain integration
  2. Text just plain looks nicer on Safari than it does in Opera/Firefox
  3. Better default interface. Yes Opera has skins but the default one doesn’t have to suck so much. First impressions do matter.

One word why I don’t use Opera:

Firebug. It’s too valuable for me to use another browser, and I like the extensions for Firefox like Foxmarks and the like.

I run Windows MCE and Windows XP depending where I am.

Ditto.

I use opera on a regular basis… Why? Because FF has yet to be ported to the n800 / maemo platform… As a result, there are a lot of ajax heavy web applications I can’t use with my internet tablet because they aren’t supported in Opera. =(

Opera offers me (as in me personally, things that I personally want) nothing that I can’t get in any other browser I already have installed.

It was my browser of choice but its got too many JS issues for me.

I use IE7 now and it integrates nicely with MS Office so I won’t be switching back soon.

So why do you need to sway peoples opinions? If Opera was as great some the pro-opera user’s in this thread make out, everyone would be using.

http://nedwolf.com/Firefox-Opera-Comparison.htm

It’s not open source.

open source doesn’t mean better quality

True. It doesn’t mean worse either. It means it is developed openly.

If Microsoft wants to include a backdoor for the NSA (or the MPAA) it will go unseen. If Opera plans to erase a bunch of hard drives on July 4, 2007 nobody will be able to warn people before it happens. Closed source software is an exercise in blind trust. If that’s your thing, go for it. But please understand, for some of us that’s just not how we roll.