Why I Don't Use Compass Anymore

I thought you’re going to recommend a new super all-in-one solution. But no, you’re now breaking your project’s dependencies into multiple tools instead of just one. Why would i do that?

And libsass is always behind compared to the original ruby-sass in terms of functionality. So that’s another no.

One of the key things for me is Compass’ typographic functions and mixins. Do you not find these useful to work with when establishing a vertical rhythm?

Although I could switch away from using Compass I haven’t really seen any negative side effects to using it in contrast to just plain Sass but lots of positives in terms of already having a pool of useful and well documented functions, mixins, and utilities. If you end up creating several of those yourself I don’t really see the advantage and it just means that others picking up the projects (including your future self) have less documentation and a less familiar base to pick up with.

After being literally forced to look for an alternative due to horrible performance as my projects got bigger, WOW, thank you for this suggestion. Cleaner code AND acceptable performance with autoprefixer. What the heck was I using Compass for? Goodbye forever.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.