Will voice replace typing?

whatev

it’s a made up name, though, innit

I was actually talking about coding with words today when I was telling someone some code.

I think coding with voice could become popular, but not with any of our current languages. I think we’d need a language which removes most of the symbols and looks more like pseudo-code:

while books = 5 do
  if books = 3 then
   print hi
  end if
end while

which is much easier to “say” then:

while(books == 5) {
  if(books == 3) {
    echo "hi";
  }
}

yeah, sorta like shyflower or r937! :smiley:

i think scientist already made this technology but unable to offer worldwide for security reasons.

I think we’d need a language which removes most of the symbols and looks more like pseudo-code:

Python’s pretty speakable. Though I’d say “colon” and “outdent” for context

It is a definite possibility for voice to replace typing in the future however I think in my generation I will not see this occur.

Off Topic:

Reason: fixed mention. How quickly they forget! :smiley:

It wasn’t a mention, I hate the tagging thing, but directing some of your speech to someone using @ symbol is starting to become a norm on many forums (prolly because of twitter). Similarly, I hate smilies being default, and deliberately have to add a space like : ) just to keep things non-cute-ified. #damnedkids #getoffmylawn

: D

voice to text does not allow for apostrophes. Consider the following classic example-

There was no dinner in the house, so I ate the dogs.
There was no dinner in the house, so I ate the dogs’.

Now did someone eat a dog or just the dogs’ dinner?

I don’t really think your example shows the difference. The inflection in both spoken sentences would be the same. What matters in voice is inflection and I think that’s where voice to text fails right now.

Those who write for the web must both choose their words and punctuate them very carefully so as to not create a misunderstanding in their meaning. Irony can easily be mistaken for sarcasm and I think that is one of the same problems that text to voice will encounter.

For instance in the earlier example I posted, the meaning of a simple sentence such as “I love you” has a different meaning when any one of the three words is emphasized. Such a small change makes a dramatic difference in nuance.

Off Topic:

i traded in my old subtlety… for a nuance

:cool:

I don’t really think your example shows the difference.

There’s a huge difference in the sentences, but how you would speak either out would be exactly the same. When we speak to each other, we don’t “see” apostrophes either. Our only hope in the case above is context, and as Shyflower said, context can be ambiguous.

When using speech-to-text for creating code or composing messages, there needs to be a separate mode or set of commands for setting things like punctuation and grammar. So after stating “there was no food in the house, so I ate the dogs” you would need to go into an edit mode to manually add the apostrophe before returning to writing mode.
Any speech program that doesn’t have something like this built in is a fail.

Because English is so ambiguous, the best thing to do is to clarify by saying—“… so I ate the dogs’ dinner”. (See, with a single word I’ve deftly turned a dogs’ breakfast into a dogs’ dinner. :slight_smile: )

Why can’t English do like Dutch then.

“Het kind zijn been is gebroken.”

The child his leg is broken. The child’s leg is broken.

See how much more awesome (if more wordy) it would be if English said “Because there no food in the house was, have we the dinner of the dog eaten.”

Off Topic:

I recently saw the Star Wars films at a friend’s, with Dutch subtitling. Interesting it was, to see how Yoda his words they wrote : )

Coz it’s a crap langwidge. :shifty:

If you compare modern languages with the better ancient ones—with all their subtlety and precise nuances—you start to lose faith in the idea that humanity is evolving.

we be slangin ‘n sayin mo’ wid less, yo

The New Shakespeare: “Yo, I be, or I don’t be, da’s wuzzup, nome sane?”

Besides, subtlety is the cause of all those times we’re trying to read Reed’s Sea and get the Red Sea or Rays of Light Coming Forth from Moses’ Head and getting Moses’ horns… people called romanis they go the house!

Already many mobile phones has voice recognition. So it is not difficult to implement them on computers. They will hit the markets soon.

I think the concept is good, however, do you really want to sit there talking to yourself like a saddo!
At least with typing you can get on with it without disturbing anyone else.

Yeah sure, it is very demanded because people are feeling its great importance to convert lots of audio files so that they could be turned into a great content with very shortly.

Convert lots of audio files to what? The question is, “Will voice replace typing?” It would be quite odd to replace audio files with audio.

Convert lots of audio files to what?

Text.

Say someone’s done a podcast. Today, you painfully transcribe it, or painfully pay a lot of money for someone to transcribe it. Or, if it was possible, get a speech-to-text program to do it for you. YouTube’s got something that tries really really hard, in the form of automatic captioning. It’s very fun to watch, unless you’re deaf.

Though I believe the poster was referring to, if you already had audio of some topic, and you wanted easy “content for teh googles” then a speech-to-text program could be yet another easy content-spinning steaming pile