_blank not working

Not sure if this is where this post belongs or if there will be somebody that can help but anyway here goes.

I need some help with an issue I am having where some hyperlinks i have in a Facebook fan page are not opening in a new window and therefor when somebody clicks one of them the new page loads inside the iframes window on Facebook.
this is not what I want.
I need the hyperlinks to open a new window with the destination URL.

I have tried using the _blank option in the target box in the properties section in dreamweaver cs5 and I still get the same thing.

my fan page is Real Estate Lady - Real Estate Agent, Real Estate Appraiser - Mairangi Bay, New Zealand - Welcome | Facebook

the url where the fanpage is held is Real Estate Lady Facebook Fan Page
please note I am not a coder or web designer. i use dreamweaver CS5 in design mode mostly and can cut and paste code into pages i am building but I am not proficient in HTML or PHP so please be gentle with me. tee hee.

any help much appreciated

Shaun

Hi Shaun. Welcome to SitePoint. :slight_smile:

So do you mean that, on the FB page, you want links to open in a new window? target=“_blank” should do that (even though it’s outdated). It works for me while testing your page. Perhaps add the target attribute back in so we can test it further.

If you’re inside an iframe, any command, even _blank, will open in the iframe. You may want to try _top instead… though that won’t open in a new window, it just breaks you out of the iframe. To get both usually you have to resort to throwing some javascript at it.

Part of why frames were SUPPOSED to go the way of the dodo twelve YEARS ago, but the ignorant and inept keep making new websites using them.

Much like the target attribute itself – which along with frames have no business being used on websites after 1998.

– edit –

WAIT, where are you putting target? Target needs to go on the ANCHOR, which you aren’t doing… not sure what element you’re choosing for that “target” part in DW, but it’s probably the wrong one as I cannot find target=“_blank” ANYWHERE in your code… except… the form? Form doesn’t have a target attribute, even in frames… not that I’m seeing a form on the page so what’s with all that code?!?

Dreamweaver – blight upon the Internet that tricks people into thinking they can make websites… such a harsh and cruel joke.

OK now when I check back it’s working. Must have been taking it’s time to update after I uploaded a file with the _blank changes in it. My firefox plays up like that sometimes.
Thanks for you replies though.