1&1 Cancellation right after buying package

Hey everyone, I’m new here (as my postcount and join date suggests) and I come to you with a question

Earlier this day I bought a 1and1 Starter hosting package (0,99$/month for the first 12months then 4.99$/month). I chose to pay for this via PayPal.
I got the confirmation email with my customer id which I used to login to the cpanel, from which I got FTP details. I quickly fired up Filezilla to transfer a few test files and noticed speed really really sucks. I decided this is far too slow and canceled my account at cancel.1and1.com.

I cancelled the subscription and also canceled the Preapproved payment plan for 1&1 (from Paypal profile). They basically didn’t get any money from me yet (I checked my CC balance and paypal transactions history). Also the email I got after cancelation states that the actual cancelation will issue on 20 Mar 2014

—quote—
We have received your contract cancelation on *March 21, 2013
and regret your decision to leave us. However, we accept your
cancelation as follows:

Pos. *Description * * * * * * * * Action * * * * * *Date * * * * * * Status

1. * *1&1 Starter * * * * * * * * * *CANCEL * * *March 20, 2014 * * *CONFIRMED

Please note that all contractual services above will be deactivated on
the date of cancelation
—endofquote—

My question for you is :
What’s the worst that could happen?

Thanks
-Alex V

You will have to go and read their small print; the companies I have used tend to have a 30day cancelation period.

Aaah, the fine print, yes… I never read that

it says that … well, this :

Hosting
A full refund (minus software shipping and handling fees and bandwidth) will be given through the 1&1 Money Back Guarantee for all our web hosting packages if you cancel your account within 30 days.
A minimum contract term of 1 year applies to your package when you order the software suite.
The minimum contract term period begins on the day the package is ordered.

So I guess I’m in the clear :slight_smile:
Thanks, Rubble

If they didn’t take any money from your Paypal account and you cancelled your Paypal subscription, I don’t think how they can get any money from you. I’ve heard of some of their customers being held hostage with a domain name hosted with 1&1. Did you have a domain name with them?

Thank you for taking your time in answering my question.

No, I don’t hold any domains at 1&1. They sent me an invoice a couple of hours earlier, today of 2.7$. I politely replied that I have cancelled my account 2 days ago and the fine print states a full refund to which they replied with a generic email about how I must cancel my account from cancel.1and1.com (which I already did 2 days ago).

I was just curious if they have any power over my PayPal account event if I cancelled the billing agreement.

paw,

From what I’ve heard about 1&1, you’re lucky to have gotten out as fast as you did! Saying that, I’m concerned about the minimum 1 year and am not sure whether that has precedence over your 30 get out of jail free card.

As far as PayPal is concerned, 1&1 could ask PayPal to pay the one year minimum and PayPal would contact you to get your side of the story. Just be sure to keep your cancellation e-mail, billing request and your response as PayPal will likely support you in this (depending again on the 1 year vs 30 day parts of your contract).

Good Luck!

Regards,

DK

A minimum contract term of 1 year applies to your package when you order the software suite.

Looks like the OP just ordered hosting and so the one year min should not apply?

I believe the software suite refers to CPanel, phpMyAdmin and all that stuff

I ordered this starter pack : http://www.1and1.com/linux-web-hosting?__lf=Order
and I repeat, on my cancellation status page on cancel.1and1.com it says that cancellation will be effective on 20Mar 2014

We’ll see after the weekend what happens

If you have already cancelled the pre approved payments, you can be rest assured that they cannot deduct any amount from your paypal or credit card.

Every web hosting or any business has a full refund policy of 30 days ( usually), so this should not be a problem.

I forgot to post this.
They emailed me twice since then. One of the emails is a reply (I think) to my question: Why am I getting invoices

Thank you for contacting us.

Our record shows that you initiated the cancellation of your account on March 21, 2013, however your account is minimum contract term and cancellation date will take effect at the end of the term which will be on March 20, 2014. It appears that when you signed up for this account with 1and1, you took advantage of a sale price being offered at that time, and this sale price came with a minimum contract length. When you set your account to cancel, it was processed to terminate at the end of the agreed-upon contract length . Thus, any invoices/charges raised within your contract term or prior to the cancellation are considered valid.

and last email I received was

We are writing to inform you of a matter requiring your attention. We regret to inform you that your current PayPal merchant agreement limit is not sufficient to cover your recent invoice at 1&1.

Please take a moment to log into your 1&1 account and update your PayPal account limit as soon as possible, so that we can continue to offer your 1&1 services without interruption.

I ignored both of these emails… let’s see what happens next :smiley:

I think that is a problem with bigger companies: Everything is automated and nobody has time to look into things properly.

It looks like you have done everything properly and so they can not do anything. ALTHOUGH this will not stop them from trying :nono:

Ha, you’re absolutely right, even though the email was signed by a certain Caponpon dude

Sincerely
Axl Lorenz Caponpon
Billing Department
1&1 Internet Inc.

Even so, let them mail me all they want, my spambox is huge !