13 of the Best WordPress Magazine Themes

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/best-wordpress-magazine-themes/

One of the most popular types of WordPress themes are those of the magazine variety. While there isn’t an exact definition of a magazine theme (there are many variations), they are best described as a digital version of your good ‘old, traditional magazine. This means lots of pictures supporting a story, content boxes everywhere and multiple layouts.

Magazine themes generally come with a plethora of shortcodes, sliders and pre-defined layouts. Using all of the available features can mean taking the risk that you might overwhelm your visitors and make it hard for a reader to keep track of your new content.

Personally, I’m a big fan of magazine themes and use them a lot for my sites, mostly for their range of shortcodes. Also, setting up your own magazine theme can be a tedious and time-consuming task.

I have compiled a list of 13 of the best WordPress magazine themes currently available, mixing in both paid and free themes. There are many more available of course, but these themes have proven to be useful, and some of them are jaw-dropping awesome.

Because I use some of these themes myself, I have added links to both the original demo content, and my own sites so you can see the difference.

Continue reading this article on SitePoint

Nexus doesn’t appear to be free on the developer’s website.

1 Like

It’s great list jacco. Thanks for sharing here

1 Like

I use X - it’s a theme with a lot of options and the support is excellent too, I’ve found. Any issues and they get back to you within 24 hours every time. Thanks Jacco :slight_smile:

All these themes are great!
Cheers :beer:

1 Like

Hi,

I am sorry for my late reply, I didn’t received a notification of this forum and just assumed no one responded. My bad!

Regarding the theme, not sure what went wrong here. I checked and it’s neither free now or seem to have been free in the past. I will contact the developers to see if I may have come across a now gone promotion, will keep you updated.

My apologies for the confusion, this turns out to be a bad start for me in the forums ;-(

Jacco

Hi!

I haven’t contacted support for this theme so thank you for adding this. It sure is a great theme, even though it required some patience. They are about to publish version 4 which seems promising as well. I think I will be buying an additional license soon, since you can really make some awesome looking sites with it :slight_smile:

Hi,

unfortunately the developer confirmed me that the Nexus theme isn’t free, or has been free in the past. I guess I made a mistake on this one, my apologies.

Pricing for the theme is to be found here: https://www.elegantthemes.com/join.php

Starting at $69 a year you get full access to all of their theme, which still isn’t that much but it isn’t the same as free.

I will see if I get it fixed in the article, thanks for noticing!

Jacco

Do one or all of these work in Apple’s Newsstand? And, do these themes adapt to the iPad and iPhone? Have you heard of Magcast? Your thoughts on it? Thank you!