2014 and Tech… what did it mean to you?

I’m “crowdsourcing” content… So tell me, what did 2014 and Tech mean to you?

Highlights, Lowlights, Trends and where are they going in 2015?

2 Likes

For me, it was a good year, tech-wise.

I had held on to my Treo Centro and my Dell laptop for 8 years. For a long time, that was it. Didn’t need much.

I still have the laptop, but now I’ve added a Galaxy S5, a Galaxy Tab S, and a custom-built desktop/server (8 core i7 4.0GHz that can turbo to 4.8GHz on demand; 32 Gigs of super fast bus RAM; 4GHz nVidea GPU with 4 Gigs of on-board RAM) that I will soon be using for development projects at home. :smile:

Where is it going? Well, it’s only going to get better… but we need to start pacing ourselves. If we keep progressing faster and faster, we’ll eventually hit the limit barrier.

And even before Professor Hawking made any statement about how dangerous AI can be, I’ve always felt that AI is not something we should be striving for. Just MHO.

V/r,

:slight_smile:

1 Like

2014 was the year of things…wearables became vogue, drones became things, and you can even print things. And while this has been true for a while now, the fact is that now you can use, control, and make them.

Hell, it’s not even “just the internet”, it’s the Internet and the Internet of Things.

From a developers standpoint, this means opportunity. There are now more things - more mediums - to specialize in. To niche in. And the tools we are using are evolving too. For instance, with the advent of the JSON API for WordPress, not only can you build websites with the CMS but apps too. Oh, and last I read the WordPress marketshare is on the rise…so that last statement holds even more weight.

On the other hand, marketing and ad agencies have new pitch-ammunition for clients. The popularity of mobile devices means the demand for HiDPI and responsive design is increasing, and so the client will need to adopt these new features or get left behind!

Honestly, the lowlight for me (a developer) is how the average consumer is taking in all this interconnectedness. There’s a hairy eye directed at “Big Brother” (whoever they really are) and Big Companies, and with the hiccups our industry had this year like Heartbleed, the GoDaddy thing that happened earlier this year […]

Eh, I’ll try and finish this up later…boss is letting us go home early :stuck_out_tongue:

More opportunity but more other factors to pay attention to is basically my summary of the year to!

More progressive with more pollution and problems

That is true… See my post here - Greening Mobile handsets

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.