404 Page Custom

Overriding that page will depend on who your hosting company is.

Sometimes the host uses a special file that may need edited in the control panel.

For example my current host uses a .shtml file which I simply copy and paste my code into through control panel.

Another host used a special name for the custom 404 which you simply had to make sure your file was named correctly to automatically override the default.

Then another host you just made a file named it what you want then in control panel or htaccess file you set your file name as the default 404.

Bottom line here is your best bet is to research the help files for your host to find how they handel 404’s. If you have a good host they will even help you over the phone 24/7.

I did I worked it out in the host it displays my custom page. I guess
web host will not read my .htaccess file so easily huh?

They should be able to read your htaccess, it just depends on how you need to configure it. Some of the things I do in control panel actually change the htaccess file.

After making changes using the control panel you can then use file manager or ftp client to download the htaccess file to your computer and see how the host structured the changes so you can do it manually in the future for some things.

Don’t forget if you do download the htaccess you may have to change certain files to not be hidden depending on your os.

I see.

BTW do you see my custom error page?: http://impactograph.com/boguspage.html
I dont see it anymore…I just see a blank page

I just tried it and that’s what I got too.
Nothing in view-source either.

It’s like it’s returning an empty text file

The HTTP header looks bizarre

what the :expressionless:

Weird all I am doing is pointing my error page in my host

Hmmm. I figured you must have tried adding a query string, but by the look of the screenshot you did everything in a correct and expected way

Have you double checked the spelling of the custommpage, maybe even the directory path the custom page needs to be in same directory as index based on your path. Also possible is alpha case if on linux/unix server instead of windows server.

One question, if you open the custom page in your browser is it correct? Lastly maybe there is a different required extension needed like mi e is an shtml.

Who is your host?

Edited
Sorry just noticed godaddy.
Will, look them over when I get a moment.

I figured it out I had to put it in the MAIN root folder not my subdomain folder.

Hi I just tried something, I tried both

logproducts.com/404page.html

and

impactograph.com/404page.html

neither took me to the 404 page which should happen with a direct link to the page. Are you sure the page is uploaded to server?

Good catch. I totally missed that the domain was different than the one being discussed in this topic and the one I was looking at

Assuming that the OP has permission to use .htaccess (with GoDaddy, that’s a gross assumption from what I have read here), the correct directive is:

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.example.com

Where 404 can be any server status (at least in the 400 range) and http://www.example.com can be any absolute URI/URL.

Alan, it looks like there is a space after logproducts. and before com/404page.html in your quote which I don’t see in the post above. There can only be two spaces in this directive and they separate the different parts, i.e., ErrorDocument, the status and the URI/URL.

IMHO, if this isn’t solved immediately, the OP must go to the GoDaddy support people to ask whether .htaccess is enabled on his account. If it is, then there may be another error in his .htaccess which is preventing it from working so the full .htaccess must be presented here.

Regards,

DK

I hadn’t noticed. I don’t know how it got there. I must have messed up with my one-finger-hunt-and-peck typing In any case, I hadn’t tried that URL only impactograph.com

Yeah its in there and it works now http://impactograph.com/404page.html

It works now though this is why:

Main Root Folder (iogproducts.com) > impactograph folder (impactograph.com)

I had to put the 404page in the Main Root folder

it works: impactograph.com/boguspage.html

I do have permission and it is actually an option in the setting to direct to
my own custom 404 page under ‘404 error options’.

Putting in that location does effect the logproducts site as well.

Do you plan to run both sites, not sure why one is a subdomain of the other instead of two primary domains in the same account.

With my service two main domains can be attached in same account with two main public directories which would allow for two different custom 404’s. If a true subdomain is used both names would point to same 404.

Remember a subdomain is just a shortcut to a second directory in the main domain.

I plan to forward impactograph site to iogproducts. so no.

I have GoDaddy I guess ill have to find out if they do that.

First, GoDaddy has a reputation as a horrid host so don’t expect much from them.

Second and most importantly, you can use mod_rewrite to create domain specific 404 pages very easily.

Regards,

DK

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.