5 Best Productivity Plugins for Adobe Illustrator

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/plugins-for-adobe-illustrator/

Adobe Illustrator has for many years been the most popular application for developing vector graphics. As is the case with many powerful tools, there has always been something of a learning curve attached to it.

Fortunately, there are a handful of useful plugins out there that can help us to speed up our workflow. While Illustrator can't claim quite the same kind of rich plugin ecosystem as Photoshop, there are still very worthwhile additions to your toolbox.

It's also worth noting that the steady rise of SVG over the past two years has also pushed Illustrator firmly back into the minds of web developers.

In this article I'm going to show you 5 plugins which will save you a lot of time by improving common actions.

Let's start.

VECTOR SCRIBE 2

The first plugin we are going to analyze is "Vector Scribe 2", by Astute Graphics. Not only does it bring you a new set of tools, but it also enhances Illustrator's existing features, giving you more powerful means to develop and edit graphics elements.

VectorScribe

Among the new features, you can find:

• Smart Remove Brush Tool: a brush which automatically removes useless anchor points just by moving the mouse over the path.
  • Path Extend Tool: this tool gives you the opportunity to extend or reduce paths to exact lengths and with a very high precision.
  • Dynamic Corners Tool: this tool allows you to transform square corners in rounded ones with finite control.
  • Dynamic Shapes Tool: this function recognizes the most common path shapes, such as squares, circles or stars, and enables you to control the number of points or to modify the shape.
  • Dynamic Measure Tool: a powerful tool which can be used to take extremely precise measurements of lengths or angles in different units of measurement.
  • Protactor: this is a very simple but useful instrument for defining custom angles for your drawing.

VectorScribe

Vector Scribe lets you automate many processes that you have always done by hand. Working with vectors, or creating new fonts, becomes much easier than before and, above all, faster.

I'm certainly a fan, and I suspect that once you use Vector Scribe 2 for a while, you won't be able to do without it.

The plugin is available for Windows as well as for MacOS and in both cases, for $79.

Download link: http://www.astutegraphics.com/purchase/?sw=\_hOHJj7BJupfK7DPi99B8As6MLZh5HH8pIaH9rPp0I8

SELECT MENU

Select Menu is a time saving plugin developed by Rick Johnson. It adds 18 extra functions to your 'Select' dropdown menu that are not included in the basic version of Illustrator.

At first it may not be entirely obvious to you what selection types are missing from Illustrator's default setup, but in reality "Select Menù" will definitely save you a lot of time.

SelectMenu

More often than not, you may need to select only "Open Paths" or perhaps only "Closed Oaths" from your project. Of course you can do this manually, but this can require some considerable effort in complex illustrations. The problem is that, in the select menu, Illustrator can't determine the difference between open and closed paths.

However, with "Select Menù", you will be able to easily select Guides, Filled, Open or even Unstroke Paths and many other variations on the paths. What's more, you can choose what to select just with few clicks.

This can be particularly useful for some of the messy linework generated by automatic convertors.

All things considered, it is clear that "Select Menù" is useful enough to earn a spot in any vector designer's tool-box. Even more impressively, the plugin can be downloaded free of charge and it works both on Windows and on Mac OS.

Download Link: http://rj-graffix.com/software/plugins.html

CONCATENATE

Concatenate

The next plugin we are going to concentrate on is "Concatenate" that — like the previous one — has been created by Rick Johnson.

"Concatenate" provides you with the opportunity to connect two or more different paths into a single, unique one.

When doing this, you can set precisely how close the endpoints of the paths should be in order to combine them and how close to the tangent the points need to be.

What distinguishes "Concatenate" from other similar plugins is that this one also comes with the "Assimilate" and "Connect" features.

The first one is useful to locate and concatenate non-selected paths that are within a fixed distance from a certain point. The second function adds line segments in order to connect the selected open paths.

Once again, Rick provides "Concatenate" free of charge, so I suggest you to download it, in particular if you use Adobe Illustrator to work with imported .eps files.

Download link: http://www.rj-graffix.com/software/plugins.html

MAGIC EXPORTER

"Magic Exporter" is a plugin developed by Jeremy Marchand with the aim of simplifying the process of artwork export from Illustrator to web-ready PNG files.

It's easy for designers lose precious time when exporting objects because they have to manually slice or hide layers in order to export just the object they need. Magic Exporter has been designer to tackle precisely this problem. It enables you to quickly export only the document components you want. You just need to mark the object you need and export it using the dedicated menu.

But it doesn't end there.

Today designers need to generate graphics for different devices with different screen sizes. "Magic Exporter" includes an important feature that allows you to automatically create several PNG copies of the same object scaled to screen sizes.

Although "Magic Exporter" costs $25, I think that if you're creating web UI elements in Illustrator, it's worth every cent as it will save you much time and many useless clicks.

"Magic Exporter" has been developed for both Mac OS and Windows.

Download link: http://sites.fastspring.com/kodlian/product/magicexporter

ARTLANDIA SYMMETRY WORKS

The last plugin I will show you is "Artlandia Symmetry Works" by Artlandia. Its main function is to create pattern designs with extremely simplicity. As you might guess, this product is particularly popular among textile and product designers. Nevertheless it presents some fascinating design possibilities for web developers who use it.

Generating simple rectangular-based patterns in Illustrator is usually relatively easy but the creation of more complex patterns can become a nightmare if you don't have the proper tool.

With Symmetry Works, you only have to create an object and use the plugin in determine the pattern type to customize it. You can decide if the main element is to be repeated with a certain symmetry or without any logic and, thanks to the "Insertion mode", you can also directly draw on the pattern which is instantly modified.

It is clear that Symmetry Works belongs to the category of those plugins which save you a huge amount of time, however, we also have to take into consideration a negative aspect: the price.

Artlandia Symmetry Works isn't cheap, costing at a minimum $364: for this reason I'd suggest it only to the most experienced and professional users.

Of course, it has been developed both for Mac OS and Windows.

Download link: https://secure.artlandia.com/ns/store/order.cgi?SymmetryWorks

Continue reading this article on SitePoint

Oh believe me, Adobe Illustrator could be VASTLY improved. Does anybody remember Macromedia Freehand (RIP)? Adobe brought it and then killed it. Now they have no need to improve illustrator – which still works much the same as it did in it’s ‘glory days’ (which would be about 1993 if memory serves correct.

In summation, the final version of Freehand (2002) was much better, easier to use and more intuitive than any version of Illustrator produced.

I must admit, I loved Freehand.

Copying and pasting attributes between objects – something that Fireworks does too – is something that is never as smooth in Illustrator.

This topic was automatically closed 0 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.