8 Things I Wish I'd Known When I Started as a Web Developer

I definitely disagree with you - learning JQuery once you know JavaScript is trivial - a significant fraction of JQuery questions are asked by people who didn’t learn JavaScript first where the answer to their question is one or two lines of native JavaScript. Learning JavaScript after you know JQuery is not much different from if you didn’t already know JQuery and so you will spend time to learn it as if it were another completely new language.

I created a site with examples of JavaScript and JQuery code - the several hundred JavaScript examples come first followed by 15 examples that cover JQuery completely - simply because most of the JQuery commands refer back to the JavaScript example that does the same thing and so whole groups of JQuery commands that are used the same way can be dealt with in a single example since the JavaScript page already covers everything else about what each JQuery command does.

Of course there are lots of JavaScript pages that the JQuery doersn’t link to because there are lots of things that you can do with JavaScript where JQuery doesn’t help at all (such as being able to send information to the server where you don’t need a response back - which only requires 2 lines of JavaScript and where the shortest JQuery code to do the same is about 10 times longer - not counting the JQuery library).

5 Likes