A Beginners Guide to Mobile Development with Meteor

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/beginners-guide-mobile-development-meteor/

Out of the box, the Meteor JavaScript framework includes Cordova,

“a set of device APIs that allow a mobile app developer to access native device functions such as the camera or accelerometer from JavaScript”.

If you’re a web developer who wants to release their work on iOS and Android (while harnessing the features of those platforms), you don’t have to learn a new language or entirely new concepts. You just need a basic grasp of Meteor, and then a basic grasp of details specific to mobile development.

Continue reading this article on SitePoint
2 Likes

Found the article very interesting but could you post the finished source code either at the end of the article or provide a link. Thanks and keep up the good work.

There isn’t really an app to be made here, more a demonstration of features. Did you have any trouble with anything in particular?

Yes, but it would be nice to make an actual small app :slight_smile:

Thanks for the article! It is very helpful. Would you be able to help me understand if there is any way to get the mobile device to capture the picture using the rear camera. Currently this only uses the front camera.

Thanks
Ravi

This is actually an interesting point I’ve never thought about with all JS frameworks. How do you choose which camera.

I can’t actually find anything that specifies how to do this. Let me ask around.

It seems that the only JS-esque method to do this is to use Cordova -

http://docs.phonegap.com/en/edge/cordova_camera_camera.md.html

So I guess you have to wrap your app in that, if possible.

Its really helpful to know that. I have a wish to be a mobile developer. And i am following some rules. Its also helpful to know. Thank you very much

1 Like

Great article. Is the camera UI supposed to be the same for web and mobile? I am currently developing a Meteor-Angular app and testing on Android. I get two different UIs. I will greatly appreciate the feedback.

You mean the UI provided by Meteor? I would assume that the platform native UI would be what is used. So desktop UI for desktop and phone UI for phone.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.