A New Standard for HTML Email

We can only guess. In such a big organization you can’t avoid having, 1st plenty internal rivalries or other possible causes of incoherence, 2nd political-like agendas (that unfortunately often prove business-successful).

OTOH, remember that [COLOR=#800080]BG[/COLOR] and MS often have been presented as dreaming of owning the rights on everything intellectual, from all paints in the world, to the English language itself (see [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#800080][URL=“http://www.amazon.com/dp/0671880748”][B]Gates: How Microsoft’s Mogul Reinvented an Industry–and Made Himself the Richest Man in America[/B][/COLOR][/FONT] and [URL=“http://www.amazon.com/dp/customer-reviews/0671880748”][COLOR=#800080]my comment of 22 Jun 2001[/COLOR]). One dream once lent to BG was that none could speak one phrase using the English language without paying something to MS.

In such perspective, one can assume that MS is trying that none can write or read an email message without using something MS. A way to achieve that was to pull the market into writing everything in DOC format; it proved too difficult because DOC documents are too bloated, and DOC format is too obviously proprietary. So, another way is replacing DOC format with an XML-made format, which 1st can be less bloated, more modern and more efficient, 2nd is - at least apparently - less proprietary.

To draw email traffic to the MS-owned “XML” format (in facts a proprietary XML that I will call “Office-XML”), “better” is to do it while the “Office” format is still perceived as the old bloated DOC, so people won’t worry too much. Then when the move (of email from “IE” to “Office”) is advanced enough, then they can push further and faster the move from DOC to “Office-XML”.

If MS kept using a public format (like HTML) for email messages in Windows and Office, they would simply remain unable to catch the email traffic in their nets.

This is so far the only explanation I found to their weird announcement of moving email from “IE” format to “Office” format.

Versailles, Wed 17 Oct 2007 19:33:40 +0200

This is a bigger problem than which rendering engine gets used. Many over paranoid administrators have set up their company’s spam filters to just reject anything which is html email.

No content monitoring, even if you are in the whitelist, if your email is html it ends up in a junk folder.

The system I develope generates many emails in reponse to end user actions, booking confirmations, purchase orders, reports etc. They look stupid sent as plain text, I don’t want to generate pdf attachments as I don’t believe attachments have the same impact.

I don’t use any complex css or html tricks in my emails and don’t find a problem how the result is rendered. My problem is just getting the mail through.

Personally I’d like HTML-Mails to be abolished - simply because a webpage is different from an email.
A webpage generally contains lots of content and an email has just essential information(of course I’m excluding spam here^^).

Naturally I like to have a design wrapped around the content on a website but when I’m reading my mail I want to get the job done as fast as possible.

Of course certain text-emphasizers like <i><b> and <u> can be useful but I don’t see a real problem in emphasizing certain portions of text without HTML.
Or can anyone give me an example where a HTML Mail would be really accurate?

And just think back to the bad old days when you could encounter <marquee> and <blink> tags on some websites. I know this is a radical example but keep in mind that there are people who overuse HTML tags.

Tygatur, “abolishing” HTML (or MARQUEE or BLINK) because a (very) few people have misused them, is like forbidding baseball bats because a (very) few bad guys have attacked people with them. Misusers and abolishers are showing IMO the same kind of poor judgment. More, such reasoning is quite outdated now after email has been handled using HTML for a decade by millions people with no or very little problems compared to the great power it brings. Leaving HTML available doesn’t force you to use it, and whatever yours, most circles are using alternatively HTML or Plain Text to send their messages, according to circumstances in a very appropriate, measured and efficient manner; “abolishing” HTML in email would be a 10-year backstep.

Versailles, Thu 18 Oct 2007 23:17:35 +0200

Tygatur, Sounds like you would also support a move to re-introduce the man with a red flag walking in front of all motor cars too.

A long as you don’t enforce your ideas on others I guess it doesnt matter but try engaging your imagination. The “medium is the message” and plain text can’t convey it effectively.

It may be just me but as far as I can think back there has never been a HTML mail in my inbox which made me think that the sender knows how to use HTML mail. Of course this is subjective and other people may feel different about this.

Misusers and abolishers are showing IMO the same kind of poor judgment.

The problem with mail is that there are at least 2 people involved.
I don’t mind if other people send each other HTML mail but in most cases I can’t decide if I get plaintext or HTML from someone.

More, such reasoning is quite outdated now after email has been handled using HTML for a decade by millions people with no or very little problems compared to the great power it brings.

Which brings us back to the question: What is HTML mail really good for?

Leaving HTML available doesn’t force you to use it, and whatever yours, most circles are using alternatively HTML or Plain Text to send their messages, according to circumstances in a very appropriate, measured and efficient manner;

I agree that’s a nice thing to have both versions(plaintext+HTML) in an email. Unfortunately that’s not always the case.

“abolishing” HTML in email would be a 10-year backstep.

Let’s get back to the topic: How would you define a rough version of the standard?
Which Tags are a must-have which would be nice?

Tygatur, Sounds like you would also support a move to re-introduce the man with a red flag walking in front of all motor cars too.

I don’t see the advantages of HTML mail. Can you tell me?

A long as you don’t enforce your ideas on others I guess it doesnt matter but try engaging your imagination. The “medium is the message” and plain text can’t convey it effectively.

And HTML can?
Just because you can use colors and images it doesn’t mean that your message is more clear to the reader.

Thx Tygatur for replying.

1st, sorry for one of my phrases that was not precise enough, so I rewrite it (main changes or adds in bold, removals in red):

Leaving HTML available doesn’t force you to misuse it, and whatever yours, most circles are sending alternatively HTML or Plain Text to send their messages, and using HTML in them, in a very appropriate, measured and efficient manner, according to circumstances
Now you wrote:

I feel alike about email received from big companies, where so-called “customer service” is usually entrusted to staff who are assumed irresponsible and low-educated, which automatically make them selected and oriented that way. The bigger the company, the most useless and most bloated the message.

But from individuals (or one-person companies), the emails I receive are often much more sensible, they are often in PT, and when in HTML, it is often (not always I admit) used appropriately and usefully.

Personally I send much email in HTML.

[LIST=1]
[*]Structure

When you email, it is generally to tell something to someone. If you have to do so, it is most often because there is some difficulty in guessing or understanding - or you wouldn’t write. Examples: the recipient is not in the same context as you, is not seeing the same things, and there is some sort of ambiguity or complexity.

Hence most of messages (this one being just one more example) need some complexity and length - if you are able to make them short while clear, you will gain high efficiency; but often I can’t, either due to my own capabilities, or to the sheer complexity of the issue (big or small). I think that, even if yourself and your correspondent are both with the same mother language (which most often implies native English speakers), you will have some amount of the same problem.

If you write something long sans spending the time to structure it, your recipient will either miss what you are saying, or waste his time - or both.

Hence, most email messages need some amount of structure, thus of formatting. Hence, using HTML will let you make most messages faster at writing, faster at reading, safer at both.

[*]Images

An image is worth a hundred words.

In an HTML message, your image appears right in its due place inside the explanation; in a PT message, your message is longer for the eye (you need to display both the label and the URL), and your recipient has to click the URL, or even to copy it and paste it in another window or tab.

The image should be included as a link, not as a copy, so the image won’t make the message heavier (in Bytes): in most cases it’s better to use an image already posted somewhere, that the recipient already knows, which will faster remind him of what you mean; in other (rare) cases you can upload your image to an [COLOR=#800080]image host[/COLOR] (e.g. [URL=“http://imageshack.us”][COLOR=#800080]ImageShack®[/COLOR]).

Now I admit that, again due to MS sloppy work, most people are including images as copies instead of as links. The MS error is double:

[LIST]
[]the option is hidden in OE (Outlook Express) behind lengthy menu cascades and inaccurate and unclear wording (“Tools > Options > Send”, then in both “Mail Sending Format” and “News Sending Format”, open “HTML Settings” and clear the case “Send pictures with message”);
[
]the default is this case checked, resulting in people sending copies of images when they think they send a link, thus bloating their message, and losing the automatic update if the image source is changed.[/LIST]
Once you change these settings in your email client, you can send email messages that are at the same time very informative and very light and fast to write and to read.

[*]External Links

I don’t feel the right to bother someone with forcing them to google to find what I am talking about, so almost all my messages contain a couple links. A too big proportion of URLs are uselessly long (e.g. Philips France [COLOR=#800080]Microchaînes[/COLOR]), and too many recipients are still (not their fault - culprits are MS and other email client writers) with bad settings in their email client (explanations in [URL=“http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general/browse_frm/thread/d7a4c969ef3c8412”][COLOR=#800080]For Long URLs, Accentuated Chars, encode as Quoted-Printable, Western European (ISO), use “EUR” for Euro symbol[/COLOR]), in which case long URLs in Plain Text messages won’t work unless copied-pasted-merged. Writing in HTML fully removes all these problems and lets me oppositely make a text short, clear, easy and comfortable to read, and more reliable since links will work anywhere and for anyone.

[*]Internal Links

When explaining something complex, your text is much clearer if you offer the reader relevant links to the other parts inside your own message. Easy to do in HTML, impossible in PT.
[/LIST]Of course all these tools are to be used sensibly. Recently I reported a bug to BitDefender. As most bugs it was tricky, in itself, in understanding it, and in guessing the cause. Once I had spent too much time on it, BitDefender would probably not have read my report if it had required the same time to read. So I sent a message reporting all the messages displayed, in a structured presentation, with tables and texts with color and background-colors monkeying what I saw on my screen, paragraphs and internal links. They were very happy and started to work on the issue (solved since - I can’t know if my own report was useful but I think so). In PT this would have been impossible, even with spending three more time.

Now let’s not get blind: sure it’s normal we focus on the ones using HTML wrongly, sure they are numerous; but let’s open eyes, a number others are using HTML appropriately; and more important, most people would gladly do so if a few settings in OE and others were a little better designed and explained.

Versailles, Fri 19 Oct 2007 16:43:35 +0200

I send and receive html mails.
The last post by Michael Merlin, rings true to me.
Plain text doesn’t even have miserable bold or the ability to colour text. Even something as simple as an answer to someone’s mail like “my response to each question is in green” gets dumbed down to a black and white desrert with PT.
A little colour, to define sections and please the eye (well, usually we are promoting something, so having the communication looking inviting is important) and links can be read more instead of ‘to read more click here’ > (uh sorry you will have to copy and paste) htttp://websitename.com/section-I_want_you_to_go-to/which_is_actually_in_this_folder/then_this_sub_folder/woh!-here’s-the-file.htm

Receiving or sending anything with a little content, html email please.
As to how to get standards, if MSoft has messed things up and can actually be persuaded to see it, could they not issue a mod to restore things back to the way they were.

BTW when sending html newsletters I create them in Dreamweaver and paste the code into a mass mailer or into Outlook Express. I have not had feedback from anyone saying the result has been bad or broken and I always put a link for pasting at the top to the web version.