A payment system for a freelance site

Hi all,

I’m researching options for a payment system for a freelance site. So far I’m merely baffled rather than informed so I thought I’d ask people who might know :slight_smile:

Can anyone recommend a payment system which I can integrate into a site for freelancers and employers across all disciplines of work? I think I’ll need it to be an escrow system or it will need to use an escrow system to work the way the client envisions it (money held by a third party to help avoid dodgy users).

I know Paypal can be integrated into a site, but can it do what I’m after? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers in advance :slight_smile:

Welcome to Sitepoint!

If you want to use Escrow payments you’ll need to work with someone who offers this specific type of service, a quick web search will reveal plenty of companies offering similar services. Those companies should be able to privide you with relevant API’s so you can integrate them.

Payment services like Paypal are just that, payment systems, not escrow systems.

I would agree with the use of PayPal, it’s widely recognised, trusted to a fairly large extent and it certainly would work in respects to an escrow service that the money is held in trust with the option to refund if the work or paid for items aren’t delivered. However PayPal unlike an escrow system doesn’t hold money “in-trust”, for that kind of system (holding payment until the work is complete) you would need to find a more suitable option, and I’m not really sure where to advise you on this, because it’s not something I’ve spent a lot of time looking into. I guess if all payments went to a PayPal account in your name, to be transferred - minus commission and PayPal fees to the recipient it may work, but that requires management on your behalf and PayPal fees. Hope that’s helpful :slight_smile:

there is escrow.com. i have used them before